Will changes in latitudes change some attitudes?

I disagree with the article. I think it is important for the company leaders to own and drive a company vehicle.

I do agree however, that the company leaders need to get out and drive competitor's vehicles more often. Yes, yes, yes. In fact, I'd send Mulally's Lexus over to R&D and say "beat this." Now that'd be interesting.

Scott

Editted to add: In fact, if Mulally & Ford & Fields & co. need to drive Fords, they should have to drive Crown Vics and Freestars. That should guarantee that NEVER would Ford try to launch a half-baked car again.

Edited by waymondospiff

I have long held the thought that the leadership of the domestic auto companies has been more inbred for more generations than a backwoods family of mentally impaired cousins.

Maybe this "outsider" will not be hampered by preconceived notions and the "we have always done it this way" attitude. Also, executive level positions should have to drive cars from a corporate fleet that includes a wide range of their own products and the best the competition has to offer. All personnel below that level that have company cars should instead be given something akin to a company paid lease agreement where they must actually go to a dealer and obtain their car. They should also have to have the car only serviced by a dealer, and be prohibited from delegating that responsibility. This might bring home the point that good customer service is a necessity today.

I disagree with the article. I think it is important for the company leaders to own and drive a company vehicle.

I do agree however, that the company leaders need to get out and drive competitor's vehicles more often. Yes, yes, yes. In fact, I'd send Mulally's Lexus over to R&D and say "beat this." Now that'd be interesting.

Scott

Editted to add: In fact, if Mulally & Ford & Fields & co. need to drive Fords, they should have to drive Crown Vics and Freestars. That should guarantee that NEVER would Ford try to launch a half-baked car again.

I think this makes a good challenge for Lincoln: build a car the CEO likes more than the LS430!

For anyone wanting to see Lincoln go upmarket, this is a huge windfall.

FMC is exceptionally fortunate that Mr. Mulally did not drive a FMC vehicle before he was “hired-onâ€. If he did, he would have run out of Detroit and realized the real job that lay ahead.

The Lexus ES350 retails for about $39,000. Currently FMC can not build a competitive product at any price. The same car (called a Camry) often sells in the $25,000 range. The only way FMC can “just†begin to get some of this “stuff†right is to own and drive these vehicles and “always†“always†continue to refine the product. FMC can only survive, if the beats Toyota at their own game. Continuing to bury their head in the sand will not get it done.

The major demographic “slide†in customer profile for FMC over the last 20 years will continue unabated, unless FMC is willing and capable to build credible products.

FMC currently has a huge “cash cow†in the few loyal customers still buying Super Duty’s and F150. It is much much much easier to get the truck products fixed “now†while you still have customers to buy them. Why wait until they go to your competitors? Why do exactly the same thing you already did with the Taurus. FMC has a ton of so-called loyal customers who have bought $50,000 Lariat’s during the last two years. You can rest assured they will bail when better products arrive. Their wait will not be long.

The article is dead-on.