Pulling a pop up?

markfnc

I am still looking at Fords for driving to work, and pulling a pop up camper. Anyone pull a pop up camper with a Freestyle /500? There is a good deal on a 2006 , and was wondering if it could pull a pop up. I wonder if the engine is up to it, but not sure of the frame and transmission. Pop up is a little less than 3000 lbs.

According to the 2006 Ford Towing Guide, the highest capacity towing for any Ford "Car" is the Freestyle at 2000 lbs and the FiveHundred is only rated for a 1000 lbs. The Freestar can tow up to 3500 lbs. when properly equipped and you can probably make an even better deal on one of those right now. I think the Edge will be able to tow up to 3500 lbs. and I imagine the towing capacity will go up on the 08 Freestyle when it get the 3.5 V6. An Explorer would also be a good choice.

I thought I read the Edge at 3,000lbs.

With a loaded car and camper, it WILL be over 3,000lbs, that's for sure.

While the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic is officially only rated for 1500lbs, a few upgrades would tow all of that better than any other "car" on the market. The CV/GM uses the same transmission as on my 2003 SuperCrew F150.

If you didn't buy a CV/GM with sports package with better springs, you'd probably want to add air springs. Tranny cooler and maybe oil cooler would be good. Outside chance on power steering cooler too. So it wouldn't be cheap to upgrade exactly. But that's the only way you'll do it and keep in the mid 20mpg range for "normal" highway driving for work.

Outside of that, something will have to give...