Map Version

Andy L

On 7/10/2020 at 11:10 PM, Andy L said:

I got an email for a free map update download. I downloaded the updated maps and I think the install was successful. How do I see the map version installed in my Navigator? What is the current map version?

Hi Andy. Current version is NA 1 19 (assuming you live in the US/Canada).

You access your version information via your SYNC screen. Go to Settings> "About SYNC".

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

2 hours ago, LHB said:

Andy L - Did you purchase the update on flash drive or did you download the free version?  Reason for my question is I have not been able to get the free download process to work for my 2018 Navigator.

I had an issue as well because I didn't follow Step 9 (Mac version of instructions) carefully. I dragged the files just to the USB and not into the Sync32 folder in the USB. After I did this correctly, I was able to update to the new version. 

What issue are you having? 

13 hours ago, Andy L said:

Thanks. I verified, I now have the current map version. The update was fairly easy. Nice that we get free updates.

Too bad the Wi-Fi update doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Hi Andy. Just as an FYI: USA/Canada Nav map updates do not update via WiFi. Not meant to. WiFi update capability is only for updates to the actual SYNC 3 system itself. And for that, you must be connected to a strong WiFi network. This may change with the introduction of SYNC 4. However, it is current state of affairs.

Concerning SYNC 3 WiFi updates: My 2018 MKZ will receive updates for SYNC 3 via WiFi. However, I have a WiFi repeater plugged into a wall outlet at the front of my house closest to my driveway, so that my MKZ gets a strong WiFi signal.

There are also other limitations, such as: Since the SYNC 3 system can only update via WiFi when connected to a strong WiFi network signal, it can not update while being driven. And as explained in our Owner Manuals, it will only check/receive updates while the engine is running, and/or for ~30 minutes after the engine is turned off.

So essentially, since I start my car and drive away, then come home, pull into the driveway and turn my car off, my car can only has time to check/receive updates while in my driveway right after I turn it off. And only for ~30 minutes.

The only way around that is to connect it to other WiFi networks, whenever I park in other places.

Then again, keep in mind that SYNC 3 updates do not occur that often. Unlike Windows updates, which may occur weekly/monthly, my 2018 MKZ has only had two SYNC 3 updates in over 2 years.

Hope this information helps and is not too confusing. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

11 hours ago, Black Label said:

I had an issue as well because I didn't follow Step 9 (Mac version of instructions) carefully. I dragged the files just to the USB and not into the Sync32 folder in the USB. After I did this correctly, I was able to update to the new version. 

What issue are you having? 

I am using Mac also.  First the download file name does not match the instructions (something like SyncPre32 instead of Sync32), ignoring that, everything else seemed ok but when I plug the flash drive into the Navigator it ignores it ... no attempt to access it.  My iPhone plugs into the port and plays music just fine so the USB port is good.  Called Black Label support couple days ago and they said there were issues with the license file that downloaded for several days up to 7/10 so I downloaded current license file and replaced the one in flash drive.   Navigator still doesn’t find it.  Planning to call support again tomorrow.

6 hours ago, LHB said:

I am using Mac also.  First the download file name does not match the instructions (something like SyncPre32 instead of Sync32), ignoring that, everything else seemed ok but when I plug the flash drive into the Navigator it ignores it ... no attempt to access it.  My iPhone plugs into the port and plays music just fine so the USB port is good.  Called Black Label support couple days ago and they said there were issues with the license file that downloaded for several days up to 7/10 so I downloaded current license file and replaced the one in flash drive.   Navigator still doesn’t find it.  Planning to call support again tomorrow.

Are you getting one of the error codes after you plug in the USB in your Navigator?

On 7/16/2020 at 12:03 AM, LHB said:

Hi LHB. Do not worry about the name of the downloaded file. It is just a ZipFile. My file name was the same as yours and it worked.

Did you follow the instructions precisely? How long did you leave the USB plugged into your Navigator? Engine was running...correct?

Going off the top of my head:

- Download the Download instructions and read/follow them carefully?

- Download the Maps file to your computer?

- Download the License file to your computer?

- Unzip (or whatever the Mac equivalent is to unzipping) the Maps file you just downloaded?

- Freshly format a >16GB USB drive to the exFAT file system, and name the USB drive "SyncMyRide

- Copy the unzipped files to your freshly formatted and renamed "SyncMyRide" USB drive? In my case, there were two files, and a folder named "SyncMyRide". I believe there were 6 files in that "SyncMyRide" folder

- Copy the License file into the "SyncMyRide" folder on the "SyncMyRide" USB drive?

- You should now have a freshly formatted USB drive named "SyncMyRide" containing two files and a folder named "SyncMyRide". If you were to check, that folder will contain ~7 files, including the License file.

Then follow the instructions to start your vehicle, plug the USB into a front USB port and follow the onscreen prompts to install the new NAV maps update files into your vehicle. Wait at least 10 minutes after any "Update Complete... Remove USB...Restart your car..." screens before removing the USB and restarting your car. This because it is not unusual to get several premature "Update complete..." screens during the install procedure. I got one as early as ~5 minutes after I plugged the USB in. But if you just continue to drive and leave it plugged in, the SYNC system will go through several more reboots and continue the installation.

Do not take this personally, but once the License file error was corrected by Lincoln/Ford, we have found that most problems so far have been due to user error. Not unzipping the files and placing the downloaded file directly onto the USB drive. Not placing the License file into the SyncMyRide folder. Becoming impatient during the install and removing the USB too soon (not all user error on that one, since you may get several false "Update Complete" messages). This is why we advise leaving it in for a full hour.

Hopefully, correcting one of these things may help you complete the download.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
To correct an error.

3 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi LHB. Do not worry about the name of the downloaded file. It is just a ZipFile. My file name was the same as yours and it worked.

Did you follow the instructions precisely? How long did you leave the USB plugged into your Navigator? Engine was running...correct?

Going off the top of my head:

- Download the Download instructions and read/follow them carefully?

- Download the Maps file to your computer?

- Download the License file to your computer?

- Unzip (or whatever the Mac equivalent is to unzipping) the Maps file you just downloaded?

- Freshly format a >16GB USB drive to the FAT32 file system, and name the USB drive "SyncMyRide

- Copy the unzipped files to your freshly formatted and renamed "SyncMyRide" USB drive? In my case, there were two files, and a folder named "SyncMyRide". I believe there were 6 files in that "SyncMyRide" folder

- Copy the License file into the "SyncMyRide" folder on the "SyncMyRide" USB drive?

- You should now have a freshly formatted USB drive named "SyncMyRide" containing two files and a folder named "SyncMyRide". If you were to check, that folder will contain ~7 files, including the License file.

Then follow the instructions to start your vehicle, plug the USB into a front USB port and follow the onscreen prompts to install the new NAV maps update files into your vehicle. Wait at least 10 minutes after any "Update Complete... Remove USB...Restart your car..." screens before removing the USB and restarting your car. This because it is not unusual to get several premature "Update complete..." screens during the install procedure. I got one as early as ~5 minutes after I plugged the USB in. But if you just continue to drive and leave it plugged in, the SYNC system will go through several more reboots and continue the installation.

Do not take this personally, but once the License file error was corrected by Lincoln/Ford, we have found that most problems so far have been due to user error. Not unzipping the files and placing the downloaded file directly onto the USB drive. Not placing the License file into the SyncMyRide folder. Becoming impatient during the install and removing the USB too soon (not all user error on that one, since you may get several false "Update Complete" messages). This is why we advise leaving it in for a full hour.

Hopefully, correcting one of these things may help you complete the download.

Here is a screen shot of my SyncMyRide flash drive (Samsung USB 3.0 32GB 130MB/s Transfer Speed) contents.

I tried putting it into the top USB port in the console and starting the engine as well as starting the engine first then inserting it.  Left it in for maybe a minute or 2 but the Sync system never gave any indication that it recognized it was there.

30450478_ScreenShot2020-07-16at3_56_50PM.thumb.png.c27d90de8de4533592b4dcdc345b33f8.png

Edited by LHB

41 minutes ago, LHB said:

Here is a screen shot of my SyncMyRide flash drive (Samsung USB 3.0 130MB/s Transfer Speed) contents.

I tried putting it into the top USB port in the console and starting the engine as well as starting the engine first then inserting it.  Left it in for maybe a minute or 2 but the Sync system never gave any indication that it recognized it was there.

30450478_ScreenShot2020-07-16at3_56_50PM.thumb.png.c27d90de8de4533592b4dcdc345b33f8.png

Hi LHB. Your flash drive seems to look right at a glance.  However, you need to be patient and leave the USB drive plugged in much longer than "a minute or two".

Start the car before plugging the USB in. Then be patient and leave it plugged in for at least 20 minutes. And keep in mind the full update will take ~1 hour. One member stated his full update process took ~1 hour and 40 minutes. If nothing has happened after 20 minutes, then there may be an issue.

The other recommendation I would make: Although the instructions recommend a USB 3 flash drive. USB 3 and SYNC 3 do not always seem to work and play well with each other. If this try is unsuccessful, try transferring the files to a USB 2 flash drive and installing again.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Yes, mine took the 1:40 time to download. Agreed, as you wrote it, it sounds like you inserted the USB and THEN started the engine. I started mine and waited about a minute to let everything load up and the inserted the USB. 

I second @bbf2530's suggestion on the USB. I bought a 32 GB USB 2.0. Worked flawlessly after I corrected my user errors lol. 

Hopefully that helps. 

My maps are updated using the USB no problem. My Sync software does not update. I do have a WiFi mesh tower next to the vehicle to improve the signal, but every time I check for updates, the check fails. I am not sure how to update the sync software.

18 minutes ago, Andy L said:

My maps are updated using the USB no problem. My Sync software does not update. I do have a WiFi mesh tower next to the vehicle to improve the signal, but every time I check for updates, the check fails. I am not sure how to update the sync software.

I had my Sync updated a few weeks ago at the dealer. They said it's best to have them do it. Not sure if that's true. 

2 hours ago, Andy L said:

Hi Andy. If you are unable to update SYNC 3 or check for SYNC 3 updates via WiFi, then you can go here: https://help.lincoln.com/update-sync/

Input your VIN and the system will notify you if you have any available SYNC 3 updates. If there are available updates, it will then walk you through how to perform the updates via USB. It is a similar procedure to updating your NAV maps.

Edited by bbf2530

On 7/16/2020 at 9:25 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Andy. If you are unable to update SYNC 3 or check for SYNC 3 updates via WiFi, then you can go here: https://help.lincoln.com/update-sync/

Input your VIN and the system will notify you if you have any available SYNC 3 updates. If there are available updates, it will then walk you through how to perform the updates via USB. It is a similar procedure to updating your NAV maps.

According to the website, I have the latest Sync version. I see a lot of posts about Sync 3.4. Apparently, I do not have the option of upgrading to that version on the Lincoln website.

14 hours ago, Andy L said:

According to the website, I have the latest Sync version. I see a lot of posts about Sync 3.4. Apparently, I do not have the option of upgrading to that version on the Lincoln website.

Hi Andy. SYNC 3.0 can not be factory updated to SYNC 3.3 or 3.4. 

If the Lincoln SYNC update website shows your vehicle has the latest version of SYNC available for your vehicle, then you have the latest version of SYNC available for your vehicle. 

Good luck.

Will Sync 3 ever be able to be updated to 3.3 or 3.4 from the factory? I have read the posts about updating and am concerned about messing it up, getting the correct update, etc. Not sure if I will benefit from 3.3/3.4 or not.

49 minutes ago, Andy L said:

Will Sync 3 ever be able to be updated to 3.3 or 3.4 from the factory? I have read the posts about updating and am concerned about messing it up, getting the correct update, etc. Not sure if I will benefit from 3.3/3.4 or not.

Hi Andy. Lincoln/Ford have stated no. Different hardware in 3.0 that can not fully handle 3.4.

Yes, there are third party websites which will tell you how to upgrade SYNC 3.0 to 3.4. My research into these upgrades is that virtually everyone who performs the upgrade loses one function or another. However, they will state that it does not matter to them because "I didn't use that anyway". Some have told stories of suddenly having a SYNC system that speaks French, German, Swedish etc. ?

My 2018 MKZ is still well within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty and I have an 8 year PremiumCare LincolnProtect, extended warranty. Plus, my SYNC3 v3.0.19205 system has worked flawlessly so far.  So I am not willing to jeopardize those warranty coverages, just to be able to say I have the latest version and a few new graphics. Besides, 3.4 will not be the latest version when SYNC4  comes out later this year. And there is no realistic chance that SYNC3.4 will be able to be updated to SYNC4 (without major system replacements/revisions/reprogramming, money).

So my advice would be...if you value your warranty, do not try to upgrade until it is fully expired. Once expired, it's up to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by bbf2530

I like your logic. I am happy with the factory current version 3.xxx, so why risk a problem?

I wish the system would check for updates via WiFi, however. It fails every time. I will put it on the list next time I go in for service.

9 hours ago, Andy L said:

I like your logic. I am happy with the factory current version 3.xxx, so why risk a problem?

I wish the system would check for updates via WiFi, however. It fails every time. I will put it on the list next time I go in for service.

Hi Andy. Thanks. I wish my wife felt the same way about my "logic". ??

As far as WiFi updates: My experience is that SYNC needs a very strong WiFi signal to perform system update checks and system updates. In the beginning, my SYNC 3 system indicated it was only getting a fair signal strength, due to my WiFi router being located towards the back half of the house, but my driveway being in front of the house. It would consistently fail when trying to perform System update checks, whether automatic or manual/forced. A "Fair" or even "Good" signal did not seem to cut it.

To remedy that issue, I placed a WiFi repeater in the power outlet closest to my driveway, which then provided a strong signal in my MKZ. My SYNC 3.0 system has performed automatic and manual WiFi update checks just fine ever since. Perhaps doing the same may help you?

Earlier in the thread it says to format the USB drive to Fat32 file format. This does not work with a 2018 and later... you MUST format the USB to exFAT format. Weird but true. Of course you can easily reformat the drive to FAT32 after you're done with the update. And don't forget to unzip the files after downloading before transferring to your USB. (Ask me how I know...)

4 hours ago, tobe said:

Earlier in the thread it says to format the USB drive to Fat32 file format. This does not work with a 2018 and later... you MUST format the USB to exFAT format. Weird but true. Of course you can easily reformat the drive to FAT32 after you're done with the update. And don't forget to unzip the files after downloading before transferring to your USB. (Ask me how I know...)

HI tobe. I looked back and you are referring to a post of mine. And you are correct, I misquoted the "Fat32" format, when the proper format is "exFAT".

Thank you for catching that. And as always, this is why we all should follow the official instructions provided by Lincoln/Ford. No matter how well intentioned, those trying to help (like me) can make mistakes.

I did go back and edit/correct my post. Unfortunately, I can not edit/correct where others quoted my post.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi LHB. Your flash drive seems to look right at a glance.  However, you need to be patient and leave the USB drive plugged in much longer than "a minute or two".

Start the car before plugging the USB in. Then be patient and leave it plugged in for at least 20 minutes. And keep in mind the full update will take ~1 hour. One member stated his full update process took ~1 hour and 40 minutes. If nothing has happened after 20 minutes, then there may be an issue.

The other recommendation I would make: Although the instructions recommend a USB 3 flash drive. USB 3 and SYNC 3 do not always seem to work and play well with each other. If this try is unsuccessful, try transferring the files to a USB 2 flash drive and installing again.

UPDATE:

After several format, download, copy to flash drive, attempt to update Navigator all according to instructions for Mac platform and on both a USB 3 and  a USB 2 flash drive and several correspondences with support including sending them a iMac screenshot showing the file/directory structure and file specs (names,sizes) on both flash drives, they FedEx’d me the update flash drive which worked fine - updated in ~50 minutes.

• Like 1