Ford will space out redesigns thanks to over-the-air updating system

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Agile is based on continuous development and deployment (every 2 weeks). 

Powertrain software development used to be (and likely still is) very closely timed with emission calibration and testing cycles which in turn are tied to the seasons of the year near Dearborn.  (You can find hot weather in AZ of FL almost any time of the year, but cold weather only happens in North America in the winter.)  Various techniques have been tried to speed up (or reduce the number of software engineers required) with little success.

While I have very few contacts left inside Ford, it is amazing how little the overall Powertrain software development process has changed since the 1990s.   The single biggest change was going from assembler language used on EEC-IV and V to the C programming language on later processors.  I guess the other change is now purchasing gets to make the call on the supplier of choice for both module and System-On-a-Chip (SOC).  The buyer probably sourced fastener last year !

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

What do you think about the "agile" approach that computer engineers use these days for consumer electronics products to reduce design cycles and get updates applied faster? Can this approach be used for computers in cars and trucks?

One issue that was really starting to "peak" before I retired, was testing of all of the different computer modules during a development cycle.

Some development modules may have not been received before a scheduled testing session so there is nothing on the end of the wire.  Some may have development software that still has bugs.  Some may have development software that is not compatible with newer/older software in other modules.  13 years ago they did NOT have a good handle on this.

The PCM used to be "the smartest kid on the block".  Fastest CPU and most memory.  It also had a lot of data that other modules wanted.  (Where does the engine RPM come from ? How about vehicle speed, engine temp, oil pressure, etc.  It is also the one that engages the starter (after the anti-theft says it is okay) and decides exactly when to stop stop spark and fuel and what needs to be done after that.)  The PCM probably has the most severe government mandates applied.  OBD-II should really be called OBD-93871 as it has probably had that many changes.  (Just because you implement a test one way and it is approved, does not mean that CARB and/or EPA will approve it again next year.)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, theoldwizard1 said:

It was only a few years ago (<10) that an "in process" programming device was custom built to flash the module as it went down the line.  (They were retrieved at the end of the line, recharged and delivered back to the front of the line.)

Im familiar with this. I did a similar job for a while when I was at FRAP. As far as I know they don't use batteries anymore, it's all powered by OBD-II. 

• 2 weeks later...