Building A Super Duty

Shrike9

Watched a couple videos of the KTP in action, but they showed completed assemblies being put into place & not the actual build. 

Question is where/how do they build the motors, transmissions & other components they assemble into a unit that is then inserted into the vehicle.

They show building body panels, but nothing about wiring harnesses and all the other pieces parts that go into assembling the truck  

1 hour ago, Shrike9 said:

Watched a couple videos of the KTP in action, but they showed completed assemblies being put into place & not the actual build. 

Question is where/how do they build the motors, transmissions & other components they assemble into a unit that is then inserted into the vehicle.

They show building body panels, but nothing about wiring harnesses and all the other pieces parts that go into assembling the truck  

The 10 speed transmissions are built in Michigan iirc. Engines are probably assembled at a different facility(depending which engine may be different locations). I imagine the wiring harnesses are outsourced and likely assembled in China. Many of the electronics are built by other companys such as siemens, bosch, piersburg, etc). Axles for the most part are built by Dana. 

I believe Kentucky is only Stamping(body panels) and Final Assembly Line, but there may be more going on there as well.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mattdm said:

The 10 speed transmissions are built in Michigan iirc. Engines are probably assembled at a different facility(depending which engine may be different locations). I imagine the wiring harnesses are outsourced and likely assembled in China. Many of the electronics are built by other companys such as siemens, bosch, piersburg, etc). Axles for the most part are built by Dana. 

I believe Kentucky is only Stamping(body panels) and Final Assembly Line, but there may be more going on there as well.

Good info about the tranny & axles, so it sounds like the different major assemblies are all put together somewhere else, shipped to KTP and they put them together like legos building the truck

22 minutes ago, Shrike9 said:

Good info about the tranny & axles, so it sounds like the different major assemblies are all put together somewhere else, shipped to KTP and they put them together like legos building the truck

Yes, that is essentially how it works. The assemblies and pieces are not built to order, they are just stocked at KTP and the options of the truck determine which ones they pick to install in your particular truck.

Edited by mattdm

13 minutes ago, mattdm said:

Yes, that is essentially how it works. The assemblies and pieces are not built to order, they are just stocked at KTP and the options of the truck determine which ones they pick to install in your particular truck.

Not completely accurate. Lot of interior parts are built to order and sequenced directly to the truck VIN.  Engine and transmissions are built to a predetermined build schedule that is published in advance.  I don't know the exact date scenario, but suppliers, and trans/engine plants are handled like any other supplier, they get the exact build quantity a couple weeks in advance and order releases follow about the same timing as  the vehicle build schedule.  Suppliers also get expected annual and monthly build rate a year in advance, and then about a month in advance they put out the next 30 day build schedule.  It's actually an amazing process that works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

Not completely accurate. Lot of interior parts are built to order and sequenced directly to the truck VIN.  Engine and transmissions are built to a predetermined build schedule that is published in advance.  I don't know the exact date scenario, but suppliers, and trans/engine plants are handled like any other supplier, they get the exact build quantity a couple weeks in advance and order releases follow about the same timing as  the vehicle build schedule.  Suppliers also get expected annual and monthly build rate a year in advance, and then about a month in advance they put out the next 30 day build schedule.  It's actually an amazing process that works.

Sounds like a complex process & not one that can happen very quick 

Would love to hear more about how it works & how it’s tied to the VIN 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:31 PM, Shrike9 said:

Sounds like a complex process & not one that can happen very quick 

Would love to hear more about how it works & how it’s tied to the VIN 

When parts are tied to the VIN, the suppliers will receive broadcast of the exact build schedule and are put on trucks in the exact same order as the vehicle build.  They reach the assembly line in the same order as vehicle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's called Just In Time ordering and it's not working to good lately with all the supply chain disruptions. The parts arrive at the plant just in time for assembly, in theory it saves the manufacturers from stocking thousands of parts for extended periods saving money as well. When they can't get the parts in time, the whole thing grinds to a halt.

• Like 1

Can you imagine the logistics issues from every single part that goes into your truck ordering and shipping and assembly that has got to be a complex process that is absolutely mind boggling to see.  I mean, hell I can't even order a cheeseburger at a fast food restaurant without them f-ing that up!

Now granted, Ford and other companies have had almost 120 years to figure it out and fine-tune the process. Dealing with so many entities and the logistic complexities of/between every supplier, the government, and internal organization would be quite the task ( actually mind-blowing to a simpleton like myself).

....then throw the covid BS on top of all this. ?

But yet my truck is sitting here and it is working great. Good job Mr ford president (hats off to you?)

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 3