TPMS/Camera/yaw sensor install

road turtle

2 hours ago, road turtle said:

It doesn't "see" the yaw sensor.  It is hard wired, so something is going on electronically.  If it's using accelerometers, I wonder how well it performs on less than smooth surfaces as it would be picking surface nuances to both the truck and trailer.

Guess, I'll find out when we leave here in late March.

It is pretty easy mathematically to calculate motion in any axis using a 3 axis accelerometer no matter what its orientation.  I bet it has some form of self calibration, so that once it is installed it determines the gravity vector and then can filter out motion in that direction, leaving only the lateral motion and the horizontal motion.  From there it could figure out the yaw rate of the trailer.  The bumpiness of the road wouldn't have much impact on those calculations.

3 hours ago, Flying68 said:

It is pretty easy mathematically to calculate motion in any axis using a 3 axis accelerometer no matter what its orientation.  I bet it has some form of self calibration, so that once it is installed it determines the gravity vector and then can filter out motion in that direction, leaving only the lateral motion and the horizontal motion.  From there it could figure out the yaw rate of the trailer.  The bumpiness of the road wouldn't have much impact on those calculations.

I've been in some pretty rough campgrounds where trailer can be rolling one way and truck rolling in the opposite way.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:23 AM, road turtle said:

It doesn't "see" the yaw sensor.  It is hard wired, so something is going on electronically.  If it's using accelerometers, I wonder how well it performs on less than smooth surfaces as it would be picking surface nuances to both the truck and trailer.

it

Guess, I'll find out when we leave here in late March.

That's true, the yaw sensor is electrically connected to the truck by plugging the sensor cable into the 12 pin connector in the bed. The checkered stickers are "read" by the tailgate camera tracking them visually. Shadows and lighting can mess up the sticker tracking but that is eliminated with the yaw sensor. A friend has a F-350 with the backup assist and he says it works fine. The problem he told me about is if he has to pull forward at all while backing the 5er into the spot, when he goes back into reverse, the backup assistant has to restart the initialization process which means he is sitting part way in or out in the road waiting for it to reactivate. He's been backing up trailers long enough to get it done faster than the computer.

• 2 months later...