Adding Air Suspension for Towing

RCorsa

8 hours ago, bshort said:

Our TT has an approximate 900 pound tongue weight.  With the trailer attached and camping stuff in the bed, it will squat a few inches.  20 pounds in the bags brings it all level.  

squat a few inches?  I measure a whopping 1.5" squat with almost 3k in pin wt.

12 hours ago, BP25 said:

Good to hear.  That might be the option for me since I think the next trailer will be of 5th wheel variety.   Did you do an onboard compressor, or do you just fill them up as needed?

I did the onboard compressor with pressure gauge in the cab. This allowed fine tuning every time we towed, as with a 110-gal water tank up front, our pin weight varied.

Airbags for sure make a big difference when towing but they will also make it ride worse when unloaded. I put Airlift airbags in two of my trucks along with a wireless compressor, it's not too difficult. If you do end up doing it I would recommend getting air bag cradles, this will prevent stiffening up the ride when unloaded. 

I’ll be hauling a truck camper as well as towing a travel trailer from time to time. Has anyone used Timbrens compared to airbags? I’m wondering if one is better than the other. The Timbren’s are far cheaper than the air bags.