2017-2022 New Super Duty paint process questions

787Toolman

I know these are very specific questions, but it seems as if some folks that know the build process also read and comment on this forum so I'm hoping someone can answer one or all of them.  Hopefully this thread will generate some healthy discussion to help us all get thru the waiting process for a new truck?, thanks in advance.

1. Does anyone know about when new Super Duty trucks get painted in the build process?

2. How long after they get painted before the chassis moves down the assembly line?

3. Are the paints baked to accelerate the drying process or are they air dried at room temperature?

4. Do all the available colors have the same spray process or does it vary by color?

5. Are there different number of coats based on color?

6. Does each color have its own spray line or are multiple colors applied on same spray line?

7. Are trucks painted using conventional spray systems by workers or are they robotic?

8. Do they use an electrostatic charge to reduce overspray?

9. Does Ford use a specific brand paint and type across the color lineup, or does it depend on color?

10. Can anyone speak to the cost difference between certain colors, Rapid Red adds $395, and Star White adds $595 but Antimatter Blue and most other colors are included in base price?

787Toolman

A lot of that is proprietary but it’s common knowledge that after the body is assembled it’s dipped in anti corrosion liquid then painted by robots.  I think it’s heat dried but not 100% sure.  The extra cost paints are usually a 3 step process with an extra mid coat but it’s also possible some paint formulas are just more expensive.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, akirby said:

A lot of that is proprietary but it’s common knowledge that after the body is assembled it’s dipped in anti corrosion liquid then painted by robots.  I think it’s heat dried but not 100% sure.  The extra cost paints are usually a 3 step process with an extra mid coat but it’s also possible some paint formulas are just more expensive.

Some of the processes are probably proprietary and should be, I don't need to know every secret, just the basics and how long after they paint its dry and they start moving the chassis over to assembly line.  Sad part is we can't find out the details because of proprietary nature, but the Chinese and Russians probably stole it and have it all and are using it against us as manufacturing advantage, but we can't know how it all works because it's a trade secret.  Oh well, I guess this thread will just die like many others I've started, I must just be a nerd that has technical questions other than when will my truck be in my driveway, lol.

787Toolman

4 hours ago, akirby said:

The entire process from start to finish is just under 24 hours.  Extrapolate from there.

akirby...Thanks, so if a truck was painted and fully assembled on a Monday, it could be ready to ship on Tuesday. Then another one to two weeks in transit to dealer depending on where the dealer is located.  So, by the time a customer would see it for the first time, the paint would have been applied a two or more weeks earlier.  If correct, that's still a good long time to dry or cure assuming the baking process at the factory was not 100% complete with the VOC evaporation before assembly.

So based on the videos and feedback, I'll attempt to answer my own questions.

1. Does anyone know about when new Super Duty trucks get painted in the build process?  The same day of assembly

2. How long after they get painted before the chassis moves down the assembly line? I can assume a few hours based on above

3. Are the paints baked to accelerate the drying process or are they air dried at room temperature?  Watching the videos, it appears modern cars and trucks get a baked finish

4. Do all the available colors have the same spray process or does it vary by color?  Watching the videos, it appears modern paint lines can spray any available color in any sequence on the same line

5. Are there different number of coats based on color? Watching the videos, it doesn't appear to show different coats but not enough info to say

6. Does each color have its own spray line or are multiple colors applied on same spray line? Watching the videos, it doesn't appear different lines are necessary for different colors

7. Are trucks painted using conventional spray systems by workers or are they robotic?  Watching the videos, it appears robots do all painting, and they appear to be electrostatic to me, don't know how else you could spray different colors on same line back-to-back but I'm guessing

8. Do they use an electrostatic charge to reduce overspray?  Watching the videos, it appears to be electrostatic but I'm not an expert so maybe someone else who knows for certain can comment

9. Does Ford use a specific brand paint and type across the color lineup, or does it depend on color?  I can only assume Ford has special formulas and color names that are unique to them only, but I'm guessing

10. Can anyone speak to the cost difference between certain colors, Rapid Red adds $395, and Star White adds $595 but Antimatter Blue and most other colors are included in base price?  akirby had a decent answer to this, I assume the ingredients and time and process justifies charging more or they just make more profit

787Toolman

Edited by 787Toolman

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

You misunderstood.  It takes 24 hours to weld together/assemble the body and bed, dip it, paint it, put the suspension and drivetrain in the chassis, put it all together and finish the assembly process and drive it off the line.

oh my, yes, a slight misunderstanding for sure, I guess I should edit my post, hahaha...Thanks.