Delivery Times

I've got an order that is way out, but I've been noticing all of the delivery nightmares some people seem to be having. Would it be possible to request delivery to a closer location to the plant or even request to pick up your vehicle from the plant? I live in VA and I'd much rather drive to KY to pick up my truck than be subjected to long shipping times or in some cases, accidents. This may be a silly idea or totally not feasible but just what I would prefer and haven't really seen anyone mention it much. 

21 minutes ago, Alex Kreh said:

I've got an order that is way out, but I've been noticing all of the delivery nightmares some people seem to be having. Would it be possible to request delivery to a closer location to the plant or even request to pick up your vehicle from the plant? I live in VA and I'd much rather drive to KY to pick up my truck than be subjected to long shipping times or in some cases, accidents. This may be a silly idea or totally not feasible but just what I would prefer and haven't really seen anyone mention it much. 

I’ve heard some of the same nightmares so I checked with my dealer and was told it can’t be delivered anywhere other than to them. I’m not sure how true that is but that was their response.

23 minutes ago, Alex Kreh said:

I don't think Ford offers factory delivery.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Montana85 said:

I’ve heard some of the same nightmares so I checked with my dealer and was told it can’t be delivered anywhere other than to them. I’m not sure how true that is but that was their response.

Thank you! I may check with my dealer as well, I'm sure that is the case but worth a shot I guess!

You can't pick up from the factory, but your dealer can drop ship to be picked up from another dealer. Your dealer then pays the delivering dealer for the prep. Not sure what is the latest time in the process that you can change the delivery location.

My dealer has sold a F-450 in Ontario and is drop shipping the truck.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, Rangers09 said:

You can't pick up from the factory, but your dealer can drop ship to be picked up from another dealer. Your dealer then pays the delivering dealer for the prep. Not sure what is the latest time in the process that you can change the delivery location.

Very interesting, might be worth it to me if they can get it close to the factory as I would believe this would significantly cut down on delivery times and make me feel much more comfortable about the whole process. Thank you very much for this information I will definitely be asking my dealer about this. Would you happen to know if you're ordering dealer would still get the sale? I don't want to take a sale away from them but it sounds like it may just change up costs but they will still get credit for it. Thanks again!

On 3/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, Montana85 said:

My dealer probably hates me by now because I bug the crap out of them for everything, but I figure when paying them that kind of money why not ?

Haha, totally agree. I'm very impatient so I'm doing my best to not be on their case and trust what they are doing. My family has been working with them for years so don't want to create any ill will. However, as you said, if you're willing to pay 80k for a truck and wait 6-12 months I think you have every right to bring up any questions or concerns at any time! It's a big commitment and involves a lot of trust on the customer's end throughout all aspects of the process!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex Kreh said:

Very interesting, might be worth it to me if they can get it close to the factory as I would believe this would significantly cut down on delivery times and make me feel much more comfortable about the whole process. Thank you very much for this information I will definitely be asking my dealer about this. Would you happen to know if you're ordering dealer would still get the sale? I don't want to take a sale away from them but it sounds like it may just change up costs but they will still get credit for it. Thanks again!

Ice-Capades can confirm, but I believe the ordering dealer still shows as getting the sale. They only pay another dealer to complete the prep and delivery.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, Rangers09 said:

The ordering Dealer has to get authorization from the receiving Dealer in order to do the "Drop Ship", reimburse the delivering Dealer for the PDI/Prep (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and installation of any DIO (Dealer Installed Options), and pay the Dealer their Courtesy Delivery fee which can be substantial depending on the receiving Dealer's policy. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

40 minutes ago, Alex Kreh said:

The ordering Dealer reports the sale and gets the credit for the sale. 

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The ordering Dealer has to get authorization from the receiving Dealer in order to do the "Drop Ship", reimburse the delivering Dealer for the PDI/Prep (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and installation of any DIO (Dealer Installed Options), and pay the Dealer their Courtesy Delivery fee which can be substantial depending on the receiving Dealer's policy. 

Awesome! Thanks so much! I will definitely be discussing it with them but depending on the courtesy fee it may not be worth it, I also have some arrangements with my dealer for a Bedliner once it is received. Good to know all of this going into it. I appreciate your time!

• Like 1