Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

I will be getting my new truck next month. F350 CCSB 6.7, coming from a Nissan Titan. 

I currently use the Andersen WD hitch for my travel trailer with a 4” drop. Anyone else use this set up with your super duty? If so, I was wondering if you use the 4” or 8” drop. I just ordered the 8” drop with the 3” shank and was wondering if that was necessary or not.  Just trying to get the things I need ahead of time since we have a few trips planned right around the time I’m taking delivery of the new truck. Obviously I don’t have the truck to take measurements so I was hoping someone here uses the same hitch. 

WD 8 inch drop.jpg

We don’t use the Anderson, but we are pulling our camper out of storage on Friday.  Previously our WDH was dialed in for our F150 and I expect to reset the hitch for our new truck.  Our current setup has an 8” drop and I hope that is adequate for the new truck.  Once I get the camper, I can tell you what drop might be appropriate, but it will just be a generally idea since there are a lot of unknown variables in play.

We can probably figure this out if someone can measure from the ground to the top of the receiver socket on a F-250 4x4 truck.  This will give me an idea of what I have to do to move from my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins to the new truck (if it ever gets built).  Anyone can take a measurement?  Thanks

Okay, for what it's worth, I measured my truck just now and it is 23" from the ground to the inside top of my 2 1/2" hitch receiver.  The truck is a week old so I doubt there is an wear/sag on the components yet.

This is for a GENERAL idea only, do not bet the farm on my measurements of my truck because yours will be different to some degree.  

My configuration:  2022 F250 4x4 7.3L Crew Cab Short Bed.  FX4 Package, 275/70-18 A/T Tires, Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package, 10,000 lb. GVWR Package, Spray-in Bed Liner, and Tri-fold Hard Tonneau Cover. 

I am hauling my camper from storage tomorrow and will check my WDH set-up at that time. 

Okay, so we brought the camper home this morning.  I went through the whole WDH set-up process since we went from an F150 to an F250.  To my surprise, I actually had to move the ball mount one notch up the shank to a higher position.  Thinking about it, I guess it makes sense because my F150 sagged so much with the tongue weight, that I had to set the ball mount low in order to let the spring bars pull everything back level when connected by lifting the rear and pushing down the front.  My WDH is also an integrated sway control so I think I still need to use it, but with a standard draw bar the back only dropped 1/2" and the front only raised 1/4".  I have it set currently to put the front back to unloaded height, and it seemed to tow fine at highway speeds even with a good cross wind.  When we go camping in 10 days I will see how it handles fully loaded and make adjustments if needed when we get to the RV Park.

In short, I think the standard drop is perfectly fine without having to buy a new shank   

• Like 1

My travel trailer is 33' from ball to rear bumper...8500 lbs loaded with all our supplies, nicknacks, and crap we carry along.

When hooking up the trailer my truck drops 1 inch. With the weight distribution bars it lifts it right back up....(you guessed it)...1 inch(or more).

I pull the camper with a standard ball. If your truck has heavy enough suspension you don't need weight distribution, that hitch will take weight off your truck rear tires.

Weight distribution is for the guys pulling a travel trailer that their truck has enough towing capacity but not enough suspension or cargo capacity(examples: f150, toyota tundra, nissan titan, chevy S-10, and f250 w/grocery getter package...jk [going to ruffle some feathers with that one])..and the truck squats severely in the rear.

Just pulled it today from Charlotte NC 4hrs up the mountains to Gatlinburg TN...pulls great, no trailer sway or issues.

See how much your truck squats in the back before you go out and buy a hitch you may not even need.

Screenshot_20220415-230248_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8635c430fb244dbb038c38f4d1081de6.jpg

20220415_185149.jpg

• 9 months later...