Toyada Fearing new Sequoia might be too Big

silvrsvt

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...41/TOC01ARCHIVE

The problem for Toyota is that Sequoia production takes up a big chunk of its Princeton, Ind., factory, where Tundras also are made. But Toyota is preparing its San Antonio Tundra-only plant, anticipating more volume. If demand for the new Tundra falls short, the Sequoia must pick up the slack in Princeton.

If a fuel crunch hurts sales of both products, that could present a rare problem for Toyota: overcapacity. When that happens, either the factory is unprofitable, or the sales arm has to increase incentives to move the metal. For Toyota, neither option is acceptable.

Company officials declined to give specifics about the Sequoia's 2008-model redesign or its sales targets.

The 2007 Sequoia's base sticker price, including shipping, is $33,805. The V-8-powered truck gets 18 mpg on the highway and 15 in the city.

The large-SUV market, which floated in the 600,000-plus-unit range during its boom years, will decline to slightly more than 500,000 units this year, according to Toyota internal estimates.

HAHAHA...

Consumer Report will say, "...Sequoia is family friendly with plenty of space and comfort. The size gives the new Sequoia road presence and the feeling of security. The big V8 provides plenty of power and smooth car-like ride."

Now if it was Ford, it was say "...Dangerous to other cars on the road and should not carry children because SUVs roll over easily. It is oversized and impractical. The V8 is a gas guzzler. It doesn't have any off-road capablity and the steering is numb and too car-like."

I wonder how the media will handle Toyota's overcapacity and unprofitable factories. I can't wait to see Consumer Reports take on that either.

I wonder how the media will handle Toyota's overcapacity and unprofitable factories. I can't wait to see Consumer Reports take on that either.
"You people must be retarded! You have to buy this cause we say so!!"

Car and Driver.

"Why wont you people buy this gorgeous vehicle?"

Motor Trend.

"Seqwoy....cequo....seekwaya........Is that Indian?"

Automobile Magazine.

:whipped: :soapbox::rant: :cheerleader:

Now if it was Ford, it was say "...Dangerous to other cars on the road and should not carry children because SUVs roll over easily. It is oversized and impractical. The V8 is a gas guzzler. It doesn't have any off-road capablity and the steering is numb and too car-like."

Not true at all Catalepsy. I just read an article about the new Expedition in Automobile magazine and it was a very favorable review. You guys are so fuckin jaded man.

Not true at all Catalepsy. I just read an article about the new Expedition in Automobile magazine and it was a very favorable review. You guys are so fuckin jaded man.

I think he was refering to consumer reports and I get a bad rap from bashing Ford on this site but even I can see that consumer reports is very biased, like when they compared the new rav4 to the explorer and bashed the explorers price and gas mileage while praising the rav 4 on everything, which the new rav4 is an outstanding vehicle and is the class leader in almost every aspect but its in a much smaller class than the explorer and shouldn't have even been compared.

You guys are so fuckin jaded man.

Only on BOV do people go into conniptions over what they think a magazine might say, or get defensive in anticipation of reviews of unreleased Fords. Then it's a party when a Japanese vehicle gets slammed, like it's too good to be true.

Only on BOV do people go into conniptions over what they think a magazine might say, or get defensive in anticipation of reviews of unreleased Fords. Then it's a party when a Japanese vehicle gets slammed, like it's too good to be true.

Very true Marc-o. Look even the much hated Consumer reports "recommends" the Focus, 500, Mustang and one other Ford product I can't remember which. But oh no, that's not good enough. If they don't recommend them all and say how wonderful and perfect everything Ford makes is then it's "Oh Consumer Reports is shit!". I to agree that to some degree CR has some biased reviews. The Ridgeline comes to mind. But then they turn right around and give some very favorable reviews on some of the Ford lineup. Guess what guys, they don't "recommend" everything in the Toyota lineup either.

By the way ebritt, the November 06 issue of Motortrend did a head to head comparison between the 07 Suburban and the new 07 Expedition EL which is the new extended edition making it as long as a Suburban. Both comparably equipped and priced. Guess what, they gave the nod to the Expedition based on price, performance and interior trim. Guess that's some of that Ford hating media right? The article was very complimentary of the Expedition. Personally I had to force myself to read it because I just don't care much for SUV's.

By the way ebritt, the November 06 issue of Motortrend did a head to head comparison between the 07 Suburban and the new 07 Expedition EL which is the new extended edition making it as long as a Suburban. Both comparably equipped and priced. Guess what, they gave the nod to the Expedition based on price, performance and interior trim. Guess that's some of that Ford hating media right? The article was very complimentary of the Expedition. Personally I had to force myself to read it because I just don't care much for SUV's.
Not that I really care but, I would bet the outcome would be different when compared with ANY import, Toyota, Nissan, Honda whatever. I dont have an Expedition by the way, I have an Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the Consumer Reports bias. I have been a subscriber to CR since the 1980s and in my recent memory I can't remember them EVER complimenting a domestic car, even when the domestic clearly outclassed the import it was being compared to. (ie, Ridgeline)

As a matter of fact, I usually skip to the domestic car review FIRST just to chuckle at how badly they maul it.

CR Domestic Car Review = "no win scenario."

As far as the Recommendations go, you may see the red check mark that proclaims "Recommended" in a summary somewhere, but I *guarantee* that in a domestic car review you will not see the words "CR has recommended this car as a CR Best Buy" like they do in their import reviews.

Edited by Mr. KABC