Repeat clock spring issue

sshearer347

I have a 2020 F350 and have a reoccurring issue. Last winter I noticed that when I would turn the steering wheel I heard a noise that sounded like a spring bouncing around inside the wheel. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the clock spring. Problem went away. Here we are this winter and I hear the spring noise in the steering wheel every time I turn it again. I plan to take it back in to the dealer again, but am curious if anyone else has experienced a reoccurring issue with the clock spring. This will be the second replacement under warranty and I think it is odd that this keeps happening. 

One interesting thing I noticed. When I park my truck in my heated garage and it is warm, I really don't hear any noise. The second it is outside and the temps/truck is cold (below 35), it starts making the noise again. Not sure this is relevant or if it is just the fact that the plastic and spring being cold just make it more noisy than when the trust is warm. I don't have any problems using the buttons on the steering wheel or horn. Everything works even when it sounds like the spring is bouncing around inside the wheel. 

Edited by sshearer347

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hear a Spring but lately my steering wheel turning creates a almost Sound like a windshield wiper on a windshield that is squeaking...

It is faint but can hear it lately and can feel micro vibrations barely anything at all but it us there.

This only happens while turning whether I am in motion or not.

Have you guys heard that before the spring sound?

Wonder if this is what happens first then the spring sound...