Ford Cuts Rivian Stake Down to 1%

Is this short sighted on Ford's part? 

I mean, Rivian aren't out of the woods yet, but they're rolling vehicles out, and they have aassive contract with Amazon... Reviews of the vehicles are positive - there are quality issues to be sure, but given time I'm sure they'll sort those out. Tesla's are still built with inconsistent panel gaps and people don't seem to care. 

I dunno. I think there's a lot more value to be had holding on to that stake at least until production ramps up fully... Not so much as a strategic investment, but as a capital gain investment. 

On 2/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, justins said:

Is this short sighted on Ford's part? 

I mean, Rivian aren't out of the woods yet, but they're rolling vehicles out, and they have aassive contract with Amazon... Reviews of the vehicles are positive - there are quality issues to be sure, but given time I'm sure they'll sort those out. Tesla's are still built with inconsistent panel gaps and people don't seem to care. 

I dunno. I think there's a lot more value to be had holding on to that stake at least until production ramps up fully... Not so much as a strategic investment, but as a capital gain investment. 

Remember the history of this deal, Ford was all in on this deal, planning a Lincoln 

and then, it went cold saying the electrical systems we’re non compatible.

From that moment Ford wanted out but couldn’t sell down stock before IPO

and had a compulsory non sell period afterwards.

For me, the simplest answer was that Ford looked under the hood and thought

that they could do better with their own design. Same goes for VW and MEB.

Just like the failed Ford-Toyota Truck joint venture when Ford discovered just

how much Toyota didn’t know…….

• Like 4