2023 Escape PHEV

Rangers09

18 hours ago, MrCurvedLimos said:

I have seen speed limit displayed in the HUD.  But not always.  I haven't figured out when it does and when it doesn't display.  Thinking back, perhaps it only displays the speed limit when cruise control is enabled?  I'm not sure.

Another oddity I have experienced 3 times now:  I'm traveling on the highway with cruise control enabled.  Speed limit is 60 mph, maybe I have the cruise control set at 70 to keep up with traffic.  All of a sudden, the car jams on the brakes.  I look down, and for some reason, the car thinks the speed limit has changed to 45 mph.  In all 3 cases, I am certain I did NOT pass any speed limit sign.  The only commonality I can identify is that the places where it's happened were places that maybe 1-2 years ago were construction zones.  They are no longer construction zones now, and any speed restriction that may have been in place previously for construction is no longer present.

I don't know why the car would be picking up on long-defunct construction zone speed restrictions, unless they were somehow recorded in the mapping software.  Anyone else experience anything like that?  The sudden vigorous braking seems dangerous to me, when traffic is zooming along at 70 mph.

Haven't used the adaptive cruise control on this car yet, but I have experienced similar braking on previous vehicles, when motorway driving. The 2 common occurrences were a car pulling in ahead of us and approaching big bends, especially when other cars were just ahead in adjacent lanes. Although the other vehicles were in different lanes, the radar thought they were in the same lane, so slowed the car down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bizarre bug I found in the Sync 4 software. When I back out of my driveway the car is in Reverse.  Then I point the nose downhill and switch to Neutral to coast 140 feet forward down to the stop sign. On the map, the blue arrow representing the car moves *backward* up the hill. The software is doing some kind of dead reckoning, and somehow interprets the motion of the car as being in the opposite direction. By the time I get to the stop sign, the software's estimate of the car's location is off by about 280 feet, and it remains that way for a little while, usually about 2 blocks, until the car seems to fix its position with GPS. 

If I switch into Neutral from Drive, the blue arrow on the map moves the direction the car is moving. It's only when I switch to Neutral from Reverse that the arrow moves opposite the direction the car is moving.

Does anyone else's radio stay on after the car is turned off and the door is opened?  Mine continues to play for a minute or so.  The dealer claims this is normal, but I've never seen another car function that way, so I'm skeptical of that answer.

Thanks for the help!

6 hours ago, Sullivan20 said:

Does anyone else's radio stay on after the car is turned off and the door is opened?  Mine continues to play for a minute or so.  The dealer claims this is normal, but I've never seen another car function that way, so I'm skeptical of that answer.

Thanks for the help!

Affirmative, ours is the same. Radio stays on briefly after a door is opened.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, Sullivan20 said:

Thanks for the help!

My radio stays on briefly after turning off the car and opening the door as well, both in my Escape PHEV and Mache E. Also, the HUD stays up until the door is opened in my Escape.

I love my new plug-in, Ford has really out done themselves. I got the first '05 Escape Hybrid with the same engine and eCVT and this one is much more efficient and rides like a dream. I tried pulse acceleration and neutral glide and this thing is killer over the '05. This thing has no problem getting 37 miles in EV with my wife driving hard. I should be able get 70 miles on one charge hypermiling on a good day. I just installed Weather Tech mats and cargo liner and they fit and look perfect. I also got the 2 front widows tinted and windshield to block the heat. It makes a big difference keeping the car cool, glare and protecting the dash from the sun. Lots to learn with the computer. I need to get a copy of my sticker does anyone have the site link for my VIN.  

• 2 months later...

Some additional observations, since we are closing in on the winter months.

We recently had a full week of bitterly cold temperatures down to -1C/30F. With the cabin heater and heated seats our range at 85% charge dropping from 38 miles to 23 miles, a 40% reduction. With the outside temperature just below freezing, I noted the engine always kicked in for the first few miles, until the cabin had heated up somewhat. Now that temps have returned more normal 12C/53F the range has increased slightly, so are only about 30% below what we got in the summer.

When driving uphill (6 - 12%), with the heater on, I found the engine always kicks in regardless how easy I drive. Been up the same hills many times during the summer and only used battery

I had expected a reduction of range , just not quite this large a drop.

We also topped up the tank for the first time, as it has used the engine a fair bit during the cold weather. Since purchasing about 5 months ago, we attained a very respectable 230.5 mpg.

2 hours ago, Sullivan20 said:

I've also noticed a drop in performance as the temps drop.  I don't plug mine in very often (hoping to move soon to a better parking situation).  But driving as a regular hybrid, I used to get ~45-50 mpg pretty easily.  Now it's more like ~35-40.

We are fortunate having a 110 V outlet in the garage. In the summer, we plugged in at the end of the day, as we could drive around town a couple of times on a single charge. With the reduced range, we now plug in every time we come home.