2021 Lincoln Navigator (12K miles) Failed 1st NYS emissions inspection

NYS new car emissions inspection isn't required for 2 years after model year build/purchase.  Told by Ford Dealership after 1st. failed emissions was due to "DLC Broken".  Made appointment for 2nd. inspection/investigate repair.  Passed 2nd. inspection after "live network test with scan tool & woke up all monitors".  Charges $11 on top of original inspection fee. When questioning charge not covered in warranty I was told Ford letter to dealers to charge customer.  New Ford Bronco/Ford Escape having similar problems.

Anyone have similar experience.

Edited by 7Lincs

Sounds like you need to find a new dealership-let me explain...

Anyways-going by my experience living in a CARB states (MD and NJ)...you should pass inspection with no problem as long you don't have a check engine light on. However, if you have work done on your car due to a Check engine light being on, you need to drive at least 50-100 miles or so before getting it reinspected because they will turn you back. I found this out when I just cleared the MIL on my wife's old escape and we had to take it in to get fixed anyways (was to due to the capless fuel system). My old 2013 SHO had an aftermarket tune on its ECU and passed MD and NJ inspection with flying colors. 

The DLC Broken issue (at least a quick search said this) is apparently a bad OBD2 port on the car, which I'm going to assume is pretty rare. The OBD2 port is what the inspection station plugs into to check the status of your vehicle. 

The $11 fee you paid is a NY State thing it looks like:

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs77.pdf

Agreed.  The entire process from the write-ups/invoicing & conversations came across as shop issues.  Eventually service manager got involved & offered refund that I passed on. In between OBDII scanners.  No way to lay eyes on exact issue. 

Concierge
Concierge