2023 Escape Hybrid Elite ST - battery saver message and flapping noise in back

escape20

I now have 9000 miles on my Vapor blue escape and love it.

I keep getting a battery saver message on my Ford Pass.

I get it on the SYNC4 screen when i open the door, and the interior lights do not come on either.

Once i start the truck, the lights and Sync4 come on.

I went to the dealer and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the battery. I have a voltmeter coming today from Amazon, and i am going to check the battery myself.

Just a side not, i had the same problem on my 2020 Hybrid, and they changed my battery 3 times, and then refused to change it a 4th time when i got to 36,000 miles.

They spent 5 hours looking at the truck and have no idea what is wrong.

They have a call into the engineers at ford for help.

Has anyone had this problem, and it was NOT the battery?

My second issue is i have a flapping noise coming from the back of the truck.

It only does it when the heat  is OFF, going over 50,  and the windows are closed.

As soon as you turn the heat on, it stops.

I am guessing its some sort of vent that lets the air pressure out of the truck.

Has anyone else had this issue, and found a resolution?

Edited by escape20
spelling

On non hybrids the battery gets weak if not driven frequently or only driven on short trips.  Not sure how that translates to hybrids.  Are you sure you’re turning it off?  I know that was a problem with early hybrids.

If all you bought is a voltmeter it won’t help you.  Get a solar ba-9 or similar digital tester that measures CCAs.  Better yet buy a ctek charger and throw it on there once every week or two to keep it topped off.

I found I was having that exact battery problem from day one on my 2023 Hybrid. I was probably driving less than you initially. (probably still not driving 60mi a day) If I did a long drive (couple hours) the symptom would resolve for a short while.

Research shows that it's probably the fact that the stock 12v battery H4  is a pretty small capacity so if you stop driving, turn off the engine and sit in your car for a few minutes listening to the radio, or have the fans running, it will drain that battery real fast. It then shuts down to make sure that you will be able to power back up when you need to go again. (which is done using the main HV battery, and then it charges up the 12v battery again.

The fix for me was to go ahead and pay for an AGM Group 48 battery which will hold the charge much better and is a much higher capacity battery. Have not had my vehicle to to "deep Sleep" since. Even when left out in subzero weather. I'll know even better once ski season hits because it will be in subzero weather every weekend then.

And yes the Group 48 battery fits fine. You do need to bend/modify the hold down bracket to accommodate the physically longer battery but it fits fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 2 days at the dealer and many tests, they tell me my battery is bad

They tole me the quality of ford batteries since covid is bad, that's why they keep going bad

They told me the flapping in the back is the heat shield and they adjusted nut they diid not test drive again.

I told them when you turn on the heat the flapping stops. How can it be the heat shield outside of the car

Im trying to get them to drive the truck again while they wait for the battery

UGGGGG

Now my dealer tells me they can not get a 12V battery for my car, they are on back order.

I have been without my car since Wednesday night. At least i have a loaner

They also said the flapping noise is from the shock, which i told them is impossible. The flapping stops when you turn on the heat,