Ranger Transmission Issues?

MrGarabaldi

I had decided to buy a Ranger, but I went to talk to my local shop that I trust for everything, and Nick at H3 here in Georgia  when I asked my about the Ranger and Mavericks he told me 

that he has had no issues with Mavericks, they have been great! and the Rangers are good trucks, except the earlier version of the current generation, the 10 speed transmission tends to craps out at 80,000 miles, not all of them but enough to be an issue.  He told me that Ford did some upgrades that solved the problem, so buy a Ranger post upgrade.  Does anybody know when they did the upgrades so I know which years to pay attention to.

I appreciate it.

I saw a couple of videos on what I believe is the subject you are talking about.  There is a TSB on a secondary drum having an issue with a bearing/bushing, I don't recall which.  The updated drum fixes the issue.

Only way to tell is to have a dealer look up the history on the VIN.

The videos only described "odd shifts".  They didn't give much detail on symptoms.   It applies to all 10 speeds, Ranger, F150, Explorer.  I don't recall the date Ford switched to using the new drum in new vehicles.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

I saw a couple of videos on what I believe is the subject you are talking about.  There is a TSB on a secondary drum having an issue with a bearing/bushing, I don't recall which.  The updated drum fixes the issue.

Only way to tell is to have a dealer look up the history on the VIN.

The videos only described "odd shifts".  They didn't give much detail on symptoms.   It applies to all 10 speeds, Ranger, F150, Explorer.  I don't recall the date Ford switched to using the new drum in new vehicles.

I haven’t seen the TSB in person to be able to read it but a video I saw on the subject said 2023 and older 10R60 and 10R80 transmissions.