Farley Says Boring Vehicles Are Going Away

13 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Based on specs, I expect Cybertruck must have a fairly large battery, in order of about 150~160 kWh (rough estimate) which makes it much larger than that of Model S and X.  By comparison, I would expect that Cybertruck will cost more to manufacture, particularly when considering unusual stainless body.   Anyway, I would not be surprised if cost goes up beyond $79k for AWD variant over time.  Rich buyers will probably get the even more expensive + $100k beast option.

123 kWh pack. It's efficient in that regard, personally wish they had stuffed some more battery in for people that wanted to use it as a truck, but there's enough people lined up for a status symbol it probably doesn't matter to them yet.

41 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

123 kWh pack. It's efficient in that regard, personally wish they had stuffed some more battery in for people that wanted to use it as a truck, but there's enough people lined up for a status symbol it probably doesn't matter to them yet.

Curious where you found 123 kWh?  Seems low to me.

57 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Curious where you found 123 kWh?  Seems low to me.

Bunch of youtube videos previously and the google to confirm what I remembered before I posted that. I'm not sure if Tesla has officially released that.

6 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I should note that both Ford Lightning and Rivian pickups are EPA rated approximately +/- 2 miles per kWh depending on trim and options, so it seemed unlikely Tesla Cybertruck could achieve 340 miles with only 123 kWh battery (2.76 miles/kWh).  Tesla is good at efficiency, but not that good IMO.

I did a quick estimate based on Tesla data from website, and came up with much larger battery that seems more realistic to me.

Testa says 250 kW charger in 15 minutes (+/- 62.5 kWh) adds 136 miles to AWD or 128 miles to tri-motor Beast.  Granted, owner won’t always get full 250 kW charge rate, but I’m pretty sure Tesla won’t advertise fast charging under less than ideal conditions, so I used 250 kW.

AWD is therefore about 136 miles / 62.5 kWh = 2.176 miles/kWh

Beast is about 128 miles / 62.5 kWh = 2.048 miles/kWh

The AWD is rated 340 miles of range, which at 2.176 requires 156 kWh.

Beast is rated 320 miles, which at 2.048 requires 156 kWh.

I can see a 123 kWh battery pack being about right for next year’s RWD Cybertruck, because with 250 miles of rated range, would require 2.03 miles/kWh.  That’s in the right ballpark compared to AWD and Beast Cybertruck, and also Lighting and Rivian.

P.S. — After estimating battery size above, I found reference in an official government filing suggesting 150 kWh.  That’s much closer to my 156 kWh estimate, and much more believable.  Seems you got your wish for larger battery, though I doubt towing is Cybertruck’s forte even with 150 kWh battery.

IMG_2630.thumb.jpeg.1c32ee1518878e982a92fc06339ddf8d.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick73 said:

I should note that both Ford Lightning and Rivian pickups are EPA rated approximately +/- 2 miles per kWh depending on trim and options, so it seemed unlikely Tesla Cybertruck could achieve 340 miles with only 123 kWh battery (2.76 miles/kWh).  Tesla is good at efficiency, but not that good IMO.

I did a quick estimate based on Tesla data from website, and came up with much larger battery that seems more realistic to me.

Testa says 250 kW charger in 15 minutes (+/- 62.5 kWh) adds 136 miles to AWD or 128 miles to tri-motor Beast.  Granted, owner won’t always get full 250 kW charge rate, but I’m pretty sure Tesla won’t advertise fast charging under less than ideal conditions, so I used 250 kW.

AWD is therefore about 136 miles / 62.5 kWh = 2.176 miles/kWh

Beast is about 128 miles / 62.5 kWh = 2.048 miles/kWh

The AWD is rated 340 miles of range, which at 2.176 requires 156 kWh.

Beast is rated 320 miles, which at 2.048 requires 156 kWh.

I can see a 123 kWh battery pack being about right for next year’s RWD Cybertruck, because with 250 miles of rated range, would require 2.03 miles/kWh.  That’s in the right ballpark compared to AWD and Beast Cybertruck, and also Lighting and Rivian.

P.S. — After estimating battery size above, I found reference in an official government filing suggesting 150 kWh.  That’s much closer to my 156 kWh estimate, and much more believable.  Seems you got your wish for larger battery, though I doubt towing is Cybertruck’s forte even with 150 kWh battery.

IMG_2630.thumb.jpeg.1c32ee1518878e982a92fc06339ddf8d.jpeg

Not sure, every source I can find says 123. This one and everything I click on youtube/google/forums/facebook groups says 123 . Not arguing with ya, cause I honestly I don't really care unless it's giving me more range. Where'd you find that doc? It also uses an induction motor on the front axle, and permanent magnet on the rear and the output numbers are wrong so maybe it's an out of date document?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46010154/tesla-cybertruck-battery-capacity/

Edit: Was looking at the aw
d motor outputs, looks like output numbers are correct for beast motors, but not motor type: " "Cyberbeast"—swaps motor locations (permanent magnet to front axle, induction motor to rear axle) and adds a second induction motor on the rear axle, offering a maximum combined output of 845 hp (630 kW) in Beast Mode,[4] split as 276 hp (206 kW) for the front motor and 284 hp (212 kW) for each rear motor."

Edited by Captainp4

1 hour ago, Captainp4 said:

Not sure, every source I can find says 123. This one and everything I click on youtube/google/forums/facebook groups says 123 . 

I hope you are correct, and that Cybertruck can achieve 340 miles with only 123 kWh (2.76 miles/kWh).

I have no need or interest in a Cybertruck, but if 2.76 miles/kWh is possible for a vehicle that size and mass, it would suggest a new Model 2 Redwood weighing roughly half as much could achieve over 5 miles per kWh.  For my needs that would be a great accomplishment. ? 

• Like 1