A Vast, Untapped Source of Lithium Has Just Been Found in The US

silvrsvt

6 hours ago, tbone said:

Good luck with that one. I suspect environmentalists will likely try to stop that from happening.  

Did you read the article at all? It’s left over material from the fracking process already happening 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Did you read the article at all? It’s left over material from the fracking process already happening 

I sure did, and when has that stopped them from trying to prevent something from happening?  Their first attempt is always stopping fracking all together.  They certainly will find a reason to attempt to circumvent this as well.  You honestly think they will sit idly by and let them extract the lithium from the waste water?  “Well I guess they already did it, so let them profit off this as well.”  I don’t think so.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I sure did, and when has that stopped them from trying to prevent something from happening?  Their first attempt is always stopping fracking all together.  They certainly will find a reason to attempt to circumvent this as well.  You honestly think they will sit idly by and let them extract the lithium from the waste water?  “Well I guess they already did it, so let them profit off this as well.”  I don’t think so.  

Well they haven't stopped fracking in PA, so don't have much presentence to stop them from doing things with the waste water. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Well they haven't stopped fracking in PA, so don't have much presentence to stop them from doing things with the waste water. 

Normally, I would agree with you.  However, you seem to be using logic to determine how environmental groups will respond to this information.  With some environmental groups, logic does not apply.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Normally, I would agree with you.  However, you seem to be using logic to determine how environmental groups will respond to this information.  With some environmental groups, logic does not apply.  

I used to work in the field of international environmental policy. I once had a fascinating conversation with the then-head of the Global Environmental Fund (a UN-affiliated body that invests in cleaner forms of energy in developing countries). She was French and came from a background of developmental economics. My favorite comment of hers was, "environmentalism is too important to be left to environmentalists." She then went on to discuss how in her experience they can sometimes be ahead of the game in identifying environmental challenges, but their solutions are almost always impractical, fly in the face of economic reality, and can often make things worse.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 5:06 AM, Gurgeh said:

I used to work in the field of international environmental policy. I once had a fascinating conversation with the then-head of the Global Environmental Fund (a UN-affiliated body that invests in cleaner forms of energy in developing countries). She was French and came from a background of developmental economics. My favorite comment of hers was, "environmentalism is too important to be left to environmentalists." She then went on to discuss how in her experience they can sometimes be ahead of the game in identifying environmental challenges, but their solutions are almost always impractical, fly in the face of economic reality, and can often make things worse.

What I think few people understand is that environmentalists are very diverse in their views about the environment.  It is almost meaningless to call some an "environmentalist".  It's kind of like saying that person is a "Southerner".