Coyote Oil Pumps?

Anyone know why Ford is still using the gear driven oil pump on the latest version of the 5.0L Coyote in the Mustang instead of the belt driven oil pump as used in the '21-24 F-150 5.0L? I have read that Ford engineers claim the factory belt driven design can withstand "over 1000 HP" output levels. If it's an upgrade in reliability wouldn't it make sense to use it on the model that is more likely to be modified? Or is there a problem with packaging? In other words, will the belt driven design even fit in a Mustang chassis? 

What prompted the question was an article on motortrend.com about Evolution Performance adding a Whipple supercharger on a '24 Mustang Dark Horse. Among the list of modifications was this: "The engine was enhanced with a set of Boundary oil pump gears to prevent failure."

Changing those gears is no simple task as the entire front of the engine has to be disassembled just to get to those gears.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/evolution-performance-2024-mustang-record/?eml=organic:eml:brz:20240529:evolution-:article:regstrd:owcst:mt&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=registered

Many think the stock Mustang oil pump gear and crank sprocket are weak links.   It seems to be harmonics that can cause them to fail, specifically hitting the rev limiter repeatedly.   The general consensus among the techs I have spoken with is that the amount of power is irrelevant as long as you stay off the limiter.    When using the 10 speed which is preferred for drag racing, hitting the limiter is less likely.     When I had my Roush supercharged Mustang, Roush specifically said the upgraded gears were not necessary and they provided the warranty.    I drag raced it many times with the 10A shifting at 7400 rpm and never had any issues.    I never hit the rev limiter, though.

When installing the supercharger, replacing the gears is less labor intensive than doing it after the blower is installed.   It still is a big job and adds to the labor cost, though.    If I get another Mustang and have the Whipple installed, I would not do the gears but many others would disagree with that decision.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 9:46 AM, brucelinc said:

Many think the stock Mustang oil pump gear and crank sprocket are weak links.   It seems to be harmonics that can cause them to fail, specifically hitting the rev limiter repeatedly.   The general consensus among the techs I have spoken with is that the amount of power is irrelevant as long as you stay off the limiter.    When using the 10 speed which is preferred for drag racing, hitting the limiter is less likely.     When I had my Roush supercharged Mustang, Roush specifically said the upgraded gears were not necessary and they provided the warranty.    I drag raced it many times with the 10A shifting at 7400 rpm and never had any issues.    I never hit the rev limiter, though.

When installing the supercharger, replacing the gears is less labor intensive than doing it after the blower is installed.   It still is a big job and adds to the labor cost, though.    If I get another Mustang and have the Whipple installed, I would not do the gears but many others would disagree with that decision.

If you read the Roush supercharger kit warranty it actually states that their powertrain warranty would be voided if you did install aftermarket oil pump gears. I take that more as Roush not wanting to be held responsible for someone else's parts.

What did Ford do on the last GT500? Did the 5.2L Predator use the same oil pump gears and housing as a standard Coyote in a Mustang GT or were they upgraded?  

As far as the '21-24 5.0L F-150 variant, what has been the history on supercharged trucks? Have there been any oil pump or belt failures? I'm still on the fence as far as supercharging my '23 Tremor but so far I don't see the oil pump design as any reason not to do that. All I can say is that I would be a lot less hesitant if the truck were not my daily driver...