New 2007 Mustang delivered with trashed rear end

gordonot

Last Friday, October 27, I took possession of my 2007, made to order, Vista Blue Mustang GT with a manual 5 speed, 3.55 limited slip differential. In the first day the differential failed - a whine in the rear end turned to a serious mis-meshing of the pinion and ring gear in the first 100 miles and I retuned it to the dealer for repair. I'm sure they will do all they can to make it right, but how do I protect myself if they can't? Is this a known problem others have had? Who do I contact at Ford to complain? Can I demand a replacement vehicle? I bought the car in Maryland and the VIN is 1VZHT82H975261973.

Last Friday, October 27, I took possession of my 2007, made to order, Vista Blue Mustang GT with a manual 5 speed, 3.55 limited slip differential. In the first day the differential failed - a whine in the rear end turned to a serious mis-meshing of the pinion and ring gear in the first 100 miles and I retuned it to the dealer for repair. I'm sure they will do all they can to make it right, but how do I protect myself if they can't? Is this a known problem others have had? Who do I contact at Ford to complain? Can I demand a replacement vehicle? I bought the car in Maryland and the VIN is 1VZHT82H975261973.

It's called a warranty. If they don't fix it right you can take it any Ford dealer.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am sure the service tech who works on your vehicle will make it right for you. In answer to your question whether this a a common issue-in a nutshell no. The Ford 8.8 differential is a very stout unit and the concern you have sounds like an assembly or faulty part problem. As far as I know , there is no legal grounds for a buy back for a first repair-but than again I am in Ohio and definitely not an attorney. :)

Edited by Tiberius1701

The warranty will protect you. And you are correct, no car should ever have this problem. But in reality, Ford buys rears from a vendor and installs them in a car. They are built by people out of various vendors parts. The chances of never getting a bad one are ZERO! There will always be a bad one now and then, nature of the beast.

Look at it this way, now someone will tear your rear apart, evaluate the damage, repair or replace it. You will now have a much better chance of having a perfect rear than almost anyone whose car has never been apart since it left the factory.

You will be fine. Your car will be fine. Don't take it personally.

And good luck with the car, I am sure it will bring you years of fun and enjoyment!