Japanese auto brands dominate reliability survey

This type of rating really doesn't mean jack. Most brand-new cars are reliable, and even if they aren't, they're under warranty!

Not all of us trade in our cars every couple of years and get something new. Some buyers look to get 10+ years and 150k+ miles of service out of a new car. So reliability is really only an issue for how well the car holds up post-warranty, when the repairs are paid for by the owner. For the long-term owner, the question of reliability comes down to how many starters/alternators/catalysts/CV joints/etc. would you expect to have to replace while you own the car.

How do you make the Ford Motor Company wake up to the idea of long-term reliability? How about this? Ford will now purchase from the open market any used Ford product (below a price threshold) that is out of warranty for its managers. The manager can keep the vehicle as long as he/she likes, and return it to the company for disposition when they are done. The manager is responsible for all the maintenance and repairs during ownership. They can take their cars to dealers, or independent shops. In effect, the manager pays for all the costs of ownership except depreciation (except for possible penalties levied for excessive wear and tear).

If the manager prefers to drive a new vehicle, Ford covers them there too. The manager can select any competitor's vehicle (again, below a price ceiling) and Ford will pay for a two-year lease. Thus, the manager gets a front-row view of how the competition does it.

Ok, so let see if I am reading you right. Initial quality means nothing. Quality after a full year means nothing. I guess that means 3-year quality means nothing too.

Ok, so the only quality that counts is the 10-15 year quality.

Until all Ford models show steller reliability at the 10-15 year mark.............. they will all suck in your opinion???

Who knows, maybe I'm just reading between the lines here.

As someone who owned an auto repair and towing business for 9 years, I can say with some certainty, that foreign or domestic are pretty equal in the higher mileage. While SOME foreign cars may need repairs less frequently than SOME domestics, those repairs are typically much more expensive.

First, initial quality DOES mean something and is certainly important. The Fusion and it's breatheren are first year cars and have a very high initial quality. That's a great thing and shows that the car was extremely well developed. Ford now has a process that works and can be confident in coming out with new product. It lowers the warranty cost for the company and gives the customer confidence.

Now as far as the long term quality, I agree that Ford has something to prove there. Lots of transmission and engine problems were happening with past vehicles. If the same priority was put on long term quality as was initial quality, then that's even more good news. That will mean higher residual (resale) value and give the customer even more confidence. Get the vehicle to 200K well maintained miles and I think you'll have a winner.