October sales

Allpar

Picked these numbers up last night. WHile they are bleak for Ford Mo Co, check out the car based platform sales. Ford is up by 64,000 units! :hyper: Since the minis don't sell, that just leaves the cars and Escape. I thought this was good proof that Ford is actually succeeding in making the transformation from a truck only company to an actual car company again. What we need now is to not panic. Fusion is a great product, Edge is coming on line and could really reinvigorate SUV sales, the new Focus is coming, and Five Hundred is just a few tweeks away from being a truely class-leading car. The worst thing Ford can do now is abandon cars again.

I agree except that the new Focus is about 3 years away (meaning the one on the Euro platform, not the impending "freshening" which won't change much IMO.

IIRC, the '08 Focus is getting some C1 components. I believe they're mostly in the front end. A lot of work has gone into NVH issues in the '08 Focus, and that includes some not inconsequential chassis updates.

Allpar

Picked these numbers up last night. WHile they are bleak for Ford Mo Co, check out the car based platform sales. Ford is up by 64,000 units! :hyper: Since the minis don't sell, that just leaves the cars and Escape. I thought this was good proof that Ford is actually succeeding in making the transformation from a truck only company to an actual car company again. What we need now is to not panic. Fusion is a great product, Edge is coming on line and could really reinvigorate SUV sales, the new Focus is coming, and Five Hundred is just a few tweeks away from being a truely class-leading car. The worst thing Ford can do now is abandon cars again.

And the number 1 selling Ford car is the no longer produced Taurus.

The numbers are very misleading.

I actually think that the idea of an updated original Focus platform is taking too much guff by far. In several ways the new C1 chassis found under the Mazda 3, S40, and Euro Focus is not, IMO and that of many others, a fundamental improvement over it's predecessor. In fact, in many ways Ford did to the Euro Focus what VW did to the Passat. Yeah it got bigger, plusher, and somewhat more refined but in general these cars managed to lose a good deal of what made them charming alternatives to the mainstream in the first place.

For instance C1 was generally sportier than is it's replacement. Don't believe me? Ask Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson who stated much the same thing when he tested the new car. Yeah the new ST is an exception to that rule, but I see no reason why the old platform updated with some of the newer C1 components couldn't produce a very sporty and refined alternative at a very competitive price.

I think too many people are hung up on the idea that anything newer is better simply because it is newer.

Edited by jlsaylor