Tires?

supercruise

I checked this website that has a tire size calculator (pretty cool)....

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

... and it suggests that a 275/40/17 will fit on a minimum 9" wide rim...

... are 01 cobra rims 9" or are they less (8" or 8.5")?

The car came with 17x 8 wheels all the way round. A 45 series might allow more effective use of the tread(less cupping) but then you run into a taller overall height and potiential rubbing at the extremes of steering travel. I for example use a 265 35 -18 in front on an 18x9(285-35 18 on 18x9 rear) and it only rubs when backing up at slow speed. My theory I use is that if I am at that kind of steering angle st speed, I have much bigger problems than a little tire on plastic noise. I have lowered the car(not for looks but based on SVT spring rates so it is not as low as it could go) and have no observable wear on either tire or fenderwell.

The SVT 2004 home has all sorts of interesting data for the SVT owner. Until they kill that too in the interest of Shelbyitis. http://www.svt.ford.com/home.asp

Edited by JETSOLVER

The car came with 17x 8 wheels all the way round. A 45 series might allow more effective use of the tread(less cupping) but then you run into a taller overall height and potiential rubbing at the extremes of steering travel. I for example use a 265 35 -18 in front on an 18x9(285-35 18 on 18x9 rear) and it only rubs when backing up at slow speed. My theory I use is that if I am at that kind of steering angle st speed, I have much bigger problems than a little tire on plastic noise. I have lowered the car(not for looks but based on SVT spring rates so it is not as low as it could go) and have no observable wear on either tire or fenderwell.

The SVT 2004 home has all sorts of interesting data for the SVT owner. Until they kill that too in the interest of Shelbyitis. http://www.svt.ford.com/home.asp

Crap! I thought they were 9" rims. The tire is too wide! Anyone want to sell a couple 9" or 10" chrome cobra rims? The 275/40/17 were going on the back so steering isn't a problem, front will remain 245/45/17.

Thanks for your help.

Crap! I thought they were 9" rims. The tire is too wide! Anyone want to sell a couple 9" or 10" chrome cobra rims? The 275/40/17 were going on the back so steering isn't a problem, front will remain 245/45/17.

Thanks for your help.

Here's what 275's look like on the stock 99 rims, CornerCarver did this way back in 2000

275on17x8.jpg

Here's what 275's look like on the stock 99 rims, CornerCarver did this way back in 2000

275on17x8.jpg

OK... am I crazy... it looks pretty fine... so why wouldn't I do it?

The tires are almost new Falken Azenis 245/45/17 front and 275/40/17 rear for a really good deal $.

Thanks for your help. Happy New Year! :happy feet:

OK... am I crazy... it looks pretty fine... so why wouldn't I do it?

The tires are almost new Falken Azenis 245/45/17 front and 275/40/17 rear for a really good deal $.

Thanks for your help. Happy New Year! :happy feet:

Your car will handle terrible. You'll feel the tires roll over the wheels if you push it through corners. In my opinion, any one who says 8" wide wheels will work for that size tire is wrong. Yes, I have tried it (with original tread design KDWs).

99KOBRA is correct, I also did it on my '99 Cobra Vert, they wore unevenly, unless the tire pressures were monitored every 2-3 days, they simply need bigger rims to properly plant the tread squarely on the ground.

Now 255/40/17's work perfectly on our 2002 GT Vert with the 8" Bullit style wheels..... I put Nitto NT555's on at 32,000 miles, car now has 55,600 miles, (23.600 milres), and there is still 60%+ tread left. This car does a lot of city driving, tires are checked weekly, (32 psi front, 31 psi rear), and it is aligned once a year minimum....and the same size can be rotated also/

I have 13" Brembo slotted rotors and Cobra calipers and pads in front along with braided lines and even the braking is amazing....

I very happy with the combo as noted...trouble free and looks great.

99KOBRA is correct, I also did it on my '99 Cobra Vert, they wore unevenly, unless the tire pressures were monitored every 2-3 days, they simply need bigger rims to properly plant the tread squarely on the ground.

Now 255/40/17's work perfectly on our 2002 GT Vert with the 8" Bullit style wheels..... I put Nitto NT555's on at 32,000 miles, car now has 55,600 miles, (23.600 milres), and there is still 60%+ tread left. This car does a lot of city driving, tires are checked weekly, (32 psi front, 31 psi rear), and it is aligned once a year minimum....and the same size can be rotated also/

I have 13" Brembo slotted rotors and Cobra calipers and pads in front along with braided lines and even the braking is amazing....

I very happy with the combo as noted...trouble free and looks great.

Thanks for the input. I won't be buying those tires. I'm looking for a good tire that won't break the bank. I've been quoted $320/tire for Michelin Pilots at Costco (Canada, US prices any better?).

Thanks for the input. I won't be buying those tires. I'm looking for a good tire that won't break the bank. I've been quoted $320/tire for Michelin Pilots at Costco (Canada, US prices any better?).

Check out the Goodyear GS-D3s. I have them on my '04 Cobra and love them. 275-40-17s sell for $201 from Discount Tire. Your size will be even less. I think they are better than the Michelins.