Another serious go at Aston,

JETSOLVER

Keep this in imnd, though...

...Aston's best stylist is already at Jaguar, and Jag donated an awful lot of technology to Aston. I forsee Jag becoming more like Aston, stylistically at least. If Aston sells, Jag can build the "RR" models without stepping on a sister-brand's toes, as it were.

I appears the best elements of Aston have been shuffled to Jaguar. I've always loved Aston, but everything that made them great in recent years is staying within Ford.

Keep this in imnd, though...

...Aston's best stylist is already at Jaguar, and Jag donated an awful lot of technology to Aston. I forsee Jag becoming more like Aston, stylistically at least. If Aston sells, Jag can build the "RR" models without stepping on a sister-brand's toes, as it were.

I appears the best elements of Aston have been shuffled to Jaguar. I've always loved Aston, but everything that made them great in recent years is staying within Ford.

Valid point. Not too long ago, Jaguar was the maker of exotic supercars. XJ220 anyone? I would imagine if Jaguar gets its act together, it could very easily fill Aston Martin's niche that will be left behind when it sells.

Cheapest Aston Martin costs 100,000+, all they build are niche cars, the brand does nothing for Ford's bottomline in the luxury market, and in the best case scenario, they either break even, or make a very slim profit. Each projet costs what? Around half a billion, one billion?

It's not Ferrari, not Porsche, not Lambo, not Bentley.

Keep the brand for what exactly? Bragging rights everytime a new 007 flick is out?

Fuck it. Sell it while it's hot.

I just with Ford could get 2 billion for AM. If you're getting rid of it at least try to get as much as possible.

Edited by pcsario

It's definitely over for Aston, in the Volvo/Jaguar video on RPM, Ford of Europe said something like:

"Aston prospered under Ford & we are confident it will continue to under new ownership..."

I think Aston has a solid product line and with minor aesthetic updates it should be good for at least 15 years. Mechanically, it will take some efforts.

Cheapest Aston Martin costs 100,000+, all they build are niche cars, the brand does nothing for Ford's bottomline in the luxury market, and in the best case scenario, they either break even, or make a very slim profit. Each projet costs what? Around half a billion, one billion?

Keep the brand for what exactly? Bragging rights everytime a new 007 flick is out?

Fuck it. Sell it while it's hot.

I just with Ford could get 2 billion for AM. If you're getting rid of it at least try to get as much as possible.

Well said. Aston's also got a lot of good stuff in place. Let someone who can afford a vanity project try to expand on it. I genuinely love 'em and wish they could remain under the family tree, but Jaguar means so much more in terms of profitability.

Edited by Kotzenjunge

And no one thinks a potential buyer might expand AM? Downward into Jag territory?

Why wouldn't a buyer come out a a 4 door? SUV? CUV? In price ranges that drop down into Jag/BMW/Porsche ranges?

Then again, some billionaire went broke after he bought Lambo, before it got sold to Audi and revived with 1 model.

If someone buys it, Ford should suck all the money they have available out of them so that they have nothing left to expand/develop the marque.

Let's not forget that the original game plan here is for Ford to only sell a majority stake in Aston Martin while retaining a minority share. Ford is well aware that Aston Martin alone would not be able to maintain its R&D without the resources of a large automaker. At this point, it appears as though Ford will still be offering its R&D to Aston Martin after the sale. It also appears that they might be interested in buying back their share should their financial fortunes change in the future, so maintaining a minority stake would make this more feasible.