New Apprentices on monday

grindliner1968

I was at HTTC this week, and saw that they have a boatload of apprentices going on course next week (around 30). Most trades except for welders and Millwrights. Looks to be mostly Electricians, amd Pipefitters. Also, most were from out of state, a few from Michigan Truck, Alot from Twin Cities.

My question, does anyone have a current number of Journeymen, and Apprentices in Gen pool?

I was at HTTC this week, and saw that they have a boatload of apprentices going on course next week (around 30). Most trades except for welders and Millwrights. Looks to be mostly Electricians, amd Pipefitters. Also, most were from out of state, a few from Michigan Truck, Alot from Twin Cities.

My question, does anyone have a current number of Journeymen, and Apprentices in Gen pool?

Hey Grind how ya doing ? I thought you were a journeyman by now ? Their's about 2000 +/- right now, however ya know the bigger question is how many of those are " CORE " vs. " NON- CORE" trades right now. That is the bigger fight right now as to which trades will be kept when the dust settles. Heck their was a day when 30 were put on from just one plant now if you are lucky they're putting about ~75 apprentices on a year.We haven't put any on at our place have we ? But they are across the nation.

Come on now Spring, give your union some credit. I am guessing that you have taken the test more than once and you still haven't been accepted. Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are, or maybe you are just a bad test taker. I don't know you but I have read many of your posts over the last year or so. You do have some fire but don't undermine your union in a public forum. That makes us all look bad. Then again from your attitude of late I'm not sure you care anymore. I'm not trying to be critical and roast you on this site but there was a day not to long ago that you would not have stooped this low. Suck it up, use your brain, and make a difference by running for office again. Just be honest to the people and you would be amazed how far you could go. Good Luck and I hope your attitude gets better.

Come on now Spring, give your union some credit. I am guessing that you have taken the test more than once and you still haven't been accepted. Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are, or maybe you are just a bad test taker. I don't know you but I have read many of your posts over the last year or so. You do have some fire but don't undermine your union in a public forum. That makes us all look bad. Then again from your attitude of late I'm not sure you care anymore. I'm not trying to be critical and roast you on this site but there was a day not to long ago that you would not have stooped this low. Suck it up, use your brain, and make a difference by running for office again. Just be honest to the people and you would be amazed how far you could go. Good Luck and I hope your attitude gets better.

Tincup, honestly, I could care less about being an apprentice. A lot of people may not believe that and they don't have to but it really isn't something that's important to me. I do, however, have a problem with the rank and file finding this stuff out after the fact. We have a bunch of tradesmen from Walton Hills, Edison, etc sitting in GEN and I realize that apprentices and journeymen are two different things but I'm very concerned. With the consolidation taking place between OHAP and LAP currently, we don't know yet how many of our tradesmen are going to be going into GEN. Then take into account the speculation as to what is going to happen to the GEN come next contract and my worries only increase. Give my union some credit..... well, a couple of contracts ago we had some house painters put on. Gee, they're all former union reps. A couple of welders put on, union reps. When the Villager went down and we were going to be putting several hundred people into GEN people were hired at Sandusky. They were mostly relatives of international and local union reps. Now there are some people that are always very concerned my personal relationships with some current and former union officials and I'm just returning the favor. As to being honest with people, don't you think that's part of the problem? I'm not sure that people want honesty. I look at who gets elected time and again and honesty is not a word that would be used in connection with them. What is my agenda? I want the rank and file to start thinking! I want them to see what is going on and start asking questions of their leadership. I want them to be aware of what goes on behind the scenes BEFORE it blindsides them. I want them to have a future and I want them to have a fair chance. I am disgusted with how the "leadership" has turned this into their own personal playground and continue to make up the rules as they go along. I asked an honest question. If there's nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem. Unlike many others, I don't feel that someone should be excluded from something just because they're related to someone but nor do I feel that they should be given something just because of that relationship. Too many games going on right now. Maybe if someone brings people's attention to things the union will have to back off a little bit and start paying attention to the rank and file for a change and their concerns and problems. But then I'm an optimist when all is said and done.

By the way, I don't take this personally. I don't know you and you don't know me. How could there be anything personal involved in this? Have a Happy Thanksgiving and be safe!

I am a bit confused can you tell me what HTTC is and why are there so many people from TCAP there?

Thanks

Huron Technical Training Center. It is located in Southeast Michigan by Metro Airport. It is where apprentices go for Core Skill classes, Mid Terms, Troubleshooting classes (electricians), and Final Assessments.

Thank you I appreciate that info! I have another question for U, can you tell me if that is Standard Operating Procedure or is that something to hang a guys hat on?

Thanks again.

I don't fully understand your question, but I can say this. I work at a plant close to the HTTC. All of our apprentices have gone there, and while I was there for my midterm assessment, I had the pleasure of working with some electrical apprentices from Auto Alliance and Sharonville Transmission.

I hope this answers your question.

CAW/Ford of Canada send our apprentices there for core skills training.....3 weeks

I know because I've had the pleasure of attending.

All Ford apprentices go to the HTTC for at least two weeks and most for 3 or 4 weeks of training when they start their apprenticeship. These 3 or 4 weeks are considered core skills training. They teach you the basics of the craft you are entering, like safety and how to properly use specific tools. Then approx. half way through your apprenticeship you go back for an assessment. Once you have finished all of your hours and completed all of your classes you go back to the HTTC again to take your final exam to make sure you are ready to become a journeyman. I haven't seen any other companies program besides Ford but from what I hear Ford has one of, if not the, best program in the US. That's what people outside of Ford tell me. Hope this answers all of your questions.

alot of you on this board think TCAP will close so why would they have so many from TCAP ?

alot of you on this board think TCAP will close so why would they have so many from TCAP ?

TCAPs local contract may have language that is forcing apprentice requisitions, OR TCAP could be getting cheap labor- Ford National picks up half of the wages paid throughout the apprenticeship (straight time only, IIRC)

Or maybe it stays open :)