No Silver Ranger?

swenson88

Well, I started cruising Ford's Build-Your-Own website as a possible future Ranger customer and noticed that they're down to just six colors. And no Silver, which is the most popular color in the country for new cars. Does that make much sense? I know they're trying to cost-cut, but does only offering six colors really save that much money?

Well, I started cruising Ford's Build-Your-Own website as a possible future Ranger customer and noticed that they're down to just six colors. And no Silver, which is the most popular color in the country for new cars. Does that make much sense? I know they're trying to cost-cut, but does only offering six colors really save that much money?

No and Not really.

It does save money, but only by having fewer vehicles on the lot. Ford would do much better having 4-6 standard configurations, plus a rapid Custom order system (no reason it would take more than 3 weeks), but I just think like that. Someone had counted it up, I think it was 27 configurations before color was considered. That's just too many, I can see how it would cause analysis paralysis for many perspective buyers. It hurt dealerships too, as they should have at least one of every configuration.

Under a custom order program, they could offer hundreds of colors then (that would actually be cool and help sales), plus some configurations they do not offer now. A 4 banger with 4wd, for example, or whatever else you cannot put together now. It would be like the old slogan for BK, have it your way. It's something you can actually put a premium on, I don't think there is a line of vehicles that you can do this with (certainly not a mainstream brand), plus there is also room in such a program for an accessory up sell. Done right, there's a goldmine in this, but it won't happen.

Edited by ghstwolf

No and Not really.

It does save money, but only by having fewer vehicles on the lot. Ford would do much better having 4-6 standard configurations, plus a rapid Custom order system (no reason it would take more than 3 weeks), but I just think like that. Someone had counted it up, I think it was 27 configurations before color was considered. That's just too many, I can see how it would cause analysis paralysis for many perspective buyers. It hurt dealerships too, as they should have at least one of every configuration.

Under a custom order program, they could offer hundreds of colors then (that would actually be cool and help sales), plus some configurations they do not offer now. A 4 banger with 4wd, for example, or whatever else you cannot put together now. It would be like the old slogan for BK, have it your way. It's something you can actually put a premium on, I don't think there is a line of vehicles that you can do this with (certainly not a mainstream brand), plus there is also room in such a program for an accessory up sell. Done right, there's a goldmine in this, but it won't happen.

Yeah, I doubt it would happen, but it does make a lot of sense. I think the whole dealer thing is retarded - if I'm plunking down tens of thousands of dollars I don't want to get talked into something I don't want just because that's what's on the lot. Like you said, I have a better chance of getting a $2 hamburger done the way I want it then finding the right vehicle for the right price on a lot.

Anyways, Ford does have too many stupid configurations, that's a given. FX4 and then FX4 Level II? Why? And somehow neither offers a rear locker anyway, so what's the point? XL, XLT, STX, Sport, FX4, FX4 Level II. It's too much. Drop the regular FX4 and just call the Level II the FX4. Drop the STX (since it looks like ass and has no performance benefit over the other versions). Drop the Sport. There you go - XL, XLT, and FX4. Now, make it reg cab, supercab w/ 4 doors (why the hell do they still offer 2-door supercabs???), and give it a crewcab. 6 and 7 foot beds available. 4x2 and 4x4 available. 2.3 I4 standard across all models but the FX4, both 4x2 AND 4x4. Only engine option is 4.0 V6. 6spd stick or 5spd auto. Standard bucket seats, standard PW/PL, standard CD player w/ optional 6-disc changer w/ MP3 player input jack - cuts down on extra interior configurations and useless options as well as cutting down on extra parts and packages. Have one towing package, etc. Why doesn't this stuff make sense? I've seen way too many Rangers sitting on the lot with the 3.0. Why even offer it? It barely has a benefit over the I4, and the 4.0 gets better power and similar mileage? Get rid of it. That's my rant, but hopefully if they do redo the Ranger they get things right.

'06 or '07? There's all kinds of silver '06s rolling down the line as we speak...

Why doesn't this stuff make sense? I've seen way too many Rangers sitting on the lot with the 3.0. Why even offer it?

If I'm not mistaken, the 3.0 is a flex fuel engine. It makes Ford look green as a company and it also manipulates the CAFE numbers in their favor...

'06 or '07? There's all kinds of silver '06s rolling down the line as we speak...

Silver or Dark Shadow Grey? I don't know, I was on Ford's own Build and Price website, and there were seven colors for XLT: Dark Shadow Grey, Torch Red, Screaming Yellow, Redfire, Sonic Blue, Black, and Oxford White. Four colors for XL: Arizona Beige, Dark Shadow Grey, Black, and Oxford White. The STX, Sport, and FX4's all come from the same pallette. I know '05 had Silver, but I don't see '06. Can you get a Silver Ranger in other zip codes or something?

Silver or Dark Shadow Grey? I don't know, I was on Ford's own Build and Price website, and there were seven colors for XLT: Dark Shadow Grey, Torch Red, Screaming Yellow, Redfire, Sonic Blue, Black, and Oxford White. Four colors for XL: Arizona Beige, Dark Shadow Grey, Black, and Oxford White. The STX, Sport, and FX4's all come from the same pallette. I know '05 had Silver, but I don't see '06. Can you get a Silver Ranger in other zip codes or something?

For some reason Ford decided to offer Screaming Yellow for the first half of the 2006 model year, and Silver would replace it for the second half. This was planned right from the beginning of the model year. I don't know what the reasoning would be.

Brian

For some reason Ford decided to offer Screaming Yellow for the first half of the 2006 model year, and Silver would replace it for the second half. This was planned right from the beginning of the model year. I don't know what the reasoning would be.

Brian

I guess that settles it. Huh. Strange if you ask me. Why not just offer both???

• 2 months later...

Brian

You were right. I noticed the Silver model is on the Build and Price website now but the Yellow is gone. Weird.

Brian

I was not very happy with that decision whatsoever - i found out a few months after the 06's went on sale. After seeing Rangers in the Screaming Yellow, it just attracted me like a magnet - I wanted it so bad I was planning on ordering my next Ranger in that color - until that happened. I guess I'll have to settle for Sonic Blue instead unless they bring that color back for '07.