Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX reliability

mkaresh

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I'd like to start collectiing data on the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX as soon as possible, but first I need more of them signed up to particpate. If enough signed up soon, I'd have initial results around the end of May.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
O/T: congratulations on gaining your 10,000th car for TrueDelta this week.

Thanks. Coming up on 11,000 now. Just wish more of them were Edges.

The awful ad campaign won't help. The song is wrong--clearly written by someone trying to mimic being with it rather than actually being with it--the visuals are wrong--why would an SUV be driving with just one set of wheels touching?--and I just don't get it.

Edited by mkaresh

Thanks. Coming up on 11,000 now. Just wish more of them were Edges.

The awful ad campaign won't help. The song is wrong--clearly written by someone trying to mimic being with it rather than actually being with it--the visuals is wrong--why would an SUV be driving with just one set of wheels touching?--and I just don't get it.

Driving on the Edge.......

I get that in the ads the Edge is literally "driving on the edge."

What I don't get is why they thought that would appeal to the intended consumer, or to anyone. Do I want to feel like I'm driving on the Edge? Does that look appealing? And why does everything else in the ad look so everyday and boring?

Is the Edge for people who live on the edge? Doesn't seem likely. It looks like a watered-down Nissan Murano, an obvious copy. People who live on the Edge want the original, not the copy that appears four years later.

The whole campaign, visuals, music, and lyrics, seem forced and fake. It was clearly put together by a bunch of suits who've never personally been anywhere near the edge.

The Edge is a very good vehicle. But an edgy product for people who "like to live on the edge?" I guess that instead of saying "I don't get it" I should have said "I don't buy it."

I hate the ad more every time I see it.

"why would an SUV be driving with just one set of wheels touching?--and I just don't get it. "

If you can't understand a simple commercial featuring a song with the lyrics "I like to live on the edge" with a vehicle named "Edge" driving on the Edge of a building, then I can't help you.

Just fyi, based on your comments, I get the sense you lack the impartiality to be in the line of work you are trying to be in. Your attempt to spin out of your "why would an SUV be driving with just one set of wheels touching?--and I just don't get it." comment, rather than accept your oversight weakens your credibility. Sounds like you are more interested in changing things to match your views and comments. Not quite the qualities one would want in your line of work. I for one really wouldn't trust much of what you publish.

In short, I'm "not buying" what you're pushin.

What I don't get is why they thought that would appeal to the intended consumer, or to anyone. Do I want to feel like I'm driving on the Edge? Does that look appealing? And why does everything else in the ad look so everyday and boring?

Is the Edge for people who live on the edge? Doesn't seem likely. It looks like a watered-down Nissan Murano, an obvious copy. People who live on the Edge want the original, not the copy that appears four years later.

The whole campaign, visuals, music, and lyrics, seem forced and fake. It was clearly put together by a bunch of suits who've never personally been anywhere near the edge.

I agree totally. I cringe every time I see that moronic commercial. Ideas like "Edgy" and "Hip" are solely the product of the corporate mind. It's even more pathetic when they think they are "Edgy" and/or "Hip." It's like when someone's parents try to be cool.

Let's face it, the Edge and the rest of the CUV genre are nothing more than the next mini van. In as much, the Edge is about as"Edgy" as adding another 100k of life insurance coverage.

Lastly, whenever I think of people on the edge, I don't see them as the types to be interested in buying a slightly more "Hip" mini-van. No, when I think of people out on the edge I think of people getting ready to jump. Is that what Ford is saying? Buy an Edge and you'll want to jump off the edge?

Or perhaps since this is just another me too vehicle (and one of the last to come to market), Ford is saying, "We're just lemmings heading for the edge, buy an Edge and be like us."

It's a crap ass commercial for a another ho-hum Ford vehicle. Hardly a Bold Move. And without a doubt, neither "Hip" nor "Edgy."