Ford Rental Fleet Sales Down 1/3 in 2007

range

Ford plans to cut fleet sales 10% in 2008

Amy Wilson

Automotive News

March 3, 2008

DETROIT — After slashing U.S. sales of daily rental vehicles by nearly one-third in 2007, Ford Motor Co. plans to trim those sales by an additional 10 percent in 2008.

"Last year we took a meat cleaver to it," Ford sales analyst George Pipas told Automotive News. "We will be shaving some more sales in 2008."

The 2008 cuts will be concentrated in the first half of the year, Pipas said. Ford trimmed daily rental units by 5 percent in January and about 20 percent in February. More reductions are planned through June, with a small decline likely in April, he said.

Just curious, but how exactly do you "trim" fleet sales? When a cab company says "I want 50 of these please", you say "no"?

Yep, that's pretty much how it's done. It's an artificial limit, but it curtails the excess baggage of excess that negatively affects the residual value of the used car market.

Just curious, but how exactly do you "trim" fleet sales? When a cab company says "I want 50 of these please", you say "no"?

I think they were talking primarily RENTAL fleet sales.

Although Ford has done a fantastic job of artificially reducing the :redcard: 's sales. drug.gif

Edited by Armada Master

Ford plans to cut fleet sales 10% in 2008

Amy Wilson

Automotive News

March 3, 2008

DETROIT — After slashing U.S. sales of daily rental vehicles by nearly one-third in 2007, Ford Motor Co. plans to trim those sales by an additional 10 percent in 2008.

I think they were talking primarily RENTAL fleet sales.

There's no "thinking" about. It plainly states it in the first sentence of the article.

correct - but in essence, the prices are still quite low from Ford - but the 2004-2006 atrocity of "six-month daily rental leases" is gone ... that artificially inflated the demand for daily rental cars - now daily rental companies lese the cars for 12-24 months.

Igor