Educational buyout...

SalinePlastic

The Co. isnt giving you crap. They are giving you the ability to go to school during the day but you are really paying for it. Also you get insurance which you would have in Gen. Granted everyone says there wont be gen but you have to remember thats a contract benefit and in 2007 when they start to move forward they wont want a strike. "It benefits the Co. and a select few only."

Anyone with more than 10 years should forget the 100k. After the tax bite you'll see 58k thats alot up front but aint shit if you try to grow it to the point of a partial pension. It all depends I guess.

The Co. isnt giving you crap. They are giving you the ability to go to school during the day but you are really paying for it. Also you get insurance which you would have in Gen. Granted everyone says there wont be gen but you have to remember thats a contract benefit and in 2007 when they start to move forward they wont want a strike. "It benefits the Co. and a select few only."

Anyone with more than 10 years should forget the 100k. After the tax bite you'll see 58k thats alot up front but aint shit if you try to grow it to the point of a partial pension. It all depends I guess.

Yeah it all depends....It depends if you think your pension will be there at all....

ie....Steelworkers/Airlines/Enron/Delphi...etc...etc...I am closing in on 20 years and right now I don't think a pension will be there for me when I get 30 in. :angry:

If you have a crystal ball, forget everything the company is offering. It does "all depend", but when the shit really hits the fan down the road, I would fully expect (not my original idea, credit opiewan) that the company at some point will go after GEN/GIS in some fashion. Paying 85% of 40 hour wages to 10k workers is a recipe for disaster, with GM leading the way FoMoCo will follow. Surely you haven't forgotten the "contract benefit" we gave away several weeks back, and none of us know the content of those "unpublished letters" out there, it would be utterly naive to think that there aren't more than a few that deal directly with GEN/GIS and related issues.

The younger workers should take advantage of this, especially in light of the impending layoffs. The older workers are probably too set in their ways and are making too much money. Besides, its hard to teach those old dogs new tricks.

Which reminds me! Heres a thought experiment for those of you with the aptitude.

It's 1955. Which would you rather be?

A "C" student graduating high school in Flint Michigan? Or a genius graduating in Bejing China?

The answer is simple, you rather be that C student in Flint Mi because you can get a high paying job with great benefits at GM or Ford. You don't really have to work very hard, probably never use your brain when on your GM/Ford job and you'll have a comfortable life virtually guaranteed until the day you die. On the other hand, your genius counterpart in Bejing has a pretty horrible life unless he becomes a top party official or somehow gets out of China.

Fast forward to 2005 -

Who is going to be better off? That C student in Flint or that genius in Bejing?

Yeah it all depends....It depends if you think your pension will be there at all....

ie....Steelworkers/Airlines/Enron/Delphi...etc...etc...I am closing in on 20 years and right now I don't think a pension will be there for me when I get 30 in. :angry:

I agree with you 100 percent Saline, those bastards are going to freeze our pensions at 15 years and 30 years will be just another number. Either get out at 15 years while your still young enough to do something else or work until your 67 years old. And OH, when your 67 you'll still be working on the line because all the janitor, etc. jobs will be outsourced for 8 bucks an hour.

The younger workers should take advantage of this, especially in light of the impending layoffs. The older workers are probably too set in their ways and are making too much money. Besides, its hard to teach those old dogs new tricks.

Which reminds me! Heres a thought experiment for those of you with the aptitude.

It's 1955. Which would you rather be?

A "C" student graduating high school in Flint Michigan? Or a genius graduating in Bejing China?

The answer is simple, you rather be that C student in Flint Mi because you can get a high paying job with great benefits at GM or Ford. You don't really have to work very hard, probably never use your brain when on your GM/Ford job and you'll have a comfortable life virtually guaranteed until the day you die. On the other hand, your genius counterpart in Bejing has a pretty horrible life unless he becomes a top party official or somehow gets out of China.

Fast forward to 2005 -

Who is going to be better off? That C student in Flint or that genius in Bejing?

the c student in flint. 1. my quality of life would have been better here. 2.i would have been eligible to retire in 1985. 3.if i was to get laid off i probably have had enough senority to apply for a transfer. 4. they do not have, or didnt have cars in china back then, or personal freedoms. just my opinion.

The C student in Flint, of course. America has welfare, and they can live on that. The genius in China will be underbid by the child labor, or shot because he has an original thought. ;)

Pioneer's comments are a clear example of what is wrong with the UAW today. No grasp of globalization. Must be nice to live your life with blinders on.

Pioneer's comments are a clear example of what is wrong with the UAW today. No grasp of globalization. Must be nice to live your life with blinders on.

Which is exactly why the United States and Canada need to develop a fair trade auto policy. It's ridiculious that these asian countries can freely tap into our market and the reverse doesn't happen.

We're slitting our own wrists simply to appease the WTO.

yS