things Ford should do to become #1 instead of downsizing

classicford

I know there's a lot of topics like these but these are (in my mind) relatively easy thing Ford could do within the next 3-5 years that would be much better for Ford.

1. Update the Ranger and Panther-platform cars

Keep the Ranger the same size, put in a 6-speed automatic transmission, and replace the Vulcan 3.0L and 4.0L SOHC V6's with the Taurus SHO-derived 3.0L V6 and 4.4L V8 (if it would be reasonable in cost to do). Make changed to these engines' intake system to increase torque and you have two excellent engines that would get better gas mileage than the current Ranger. A truck that small should get better than 17 city/23 highway ratings.

Then, re-engineer the frame so it's fully boxed like the F-series. And for the sake of the Ranger, DO NOT make it larger or try to make it appear similar to the F-series. The Ranger would be selling 250,000 yearly if Ford would make it a competitive truck for 2006 instead of 1993. I have sent Ford 2-3 emails stating the above, if Ford lets the Ranger die, they deserve all the sales they would lose.

Update the Panther-chassis cars' drivetrains, and begine designing a new midsize-large car platform competitive with Chrysler and GM's larger cars.

2. Re-engineer the Modular V8's

Redesign the block of the Modular's so a V8 can have a capacity of anywhere from 4.6L to 7.0L. This will eliminate the need for the V10, which would be cheaper for Fod in the long run since the only difference between any engine derived from that block would be the rotating assembly. That would be a truly modular engine.

Also, make all Ford engine a little more attractive, paint the blocks (Fod blue of course), and have more attractive valve covers, and make all upper intake manifolds out of aluminum instead of plastic (if for asthetic reasons only, and an aluminum manifold definently isn't going to crack).

3. Discontinue all pushrod engines left, and use the SHO/Yamaha V6's and V8's in any midsize cars that require the power but can't accomodate a Modular.

Ths one explains itself. Pushrod engines at Ford are obsolete, and the Yamaha V6 is a great engine.

4. Keep assembly in the USA, why is Ford building the Fusion in Mexico and the Edge in Canada when St. Louis, Wixom, and Atlanta are barely producing anything here in the USA?

This is really all Ford needs to do for the rest of the decade. Other than the Ranger/Panther and the limited capacity of the Modular V8, I have no problem with Ford's operations.

Other than the Ranger/Panther and the limited capacity of the Modular V8, I have no problem with Ford's operations.

You don't work at a Ford dealership do you? How about making a warranty visit more customer friendly, if you only knew how many hoops Ford has the dealers jump through for some of the repairs. And then audits the dealer because their "126 report" says they're higher than they should be in cost per repair or the number of warranty repairs per repair order. Or how about Ford states that (i think it was about 40%) of the DPFE's that are returned to the Warranty Parts Analysist Center are not defective, well if thats true how come a new one fixed the problem? Might be because moisture and electricity don't mix and by the time Ford got around to testing the returned units they've dry'ed out. Ford needs to get back to making vehicles the public can count on and quit trying to micro-manage the dealerships. Ford do what you do best and let the dealers do what they do best.

Give the dealerships the authority to address customer concerns without having to go through prior approvals etc.

And before anyone says i'm anti Ford i'm not, just tired of alot of the stupid games,policies and procedures.

Edited by Ron W.

• 2 weeks later...

If only fixing the company were so simple! Unfortunately, the problems run deep.

Product planning: It's hard to imagine how the company will survive with its boom-and-bust mentality. Explorer and Expedition sales are tanking, and Edge alone won't take up all the slack. Both need more thorough, visible updates than they are getting (and yes, that includes the lukewarm Expedition "freshening"). Focus is dying in the U.S. market while Civic and Corolla are booming. Escape is falling behind. All of Lincoln is in a tailspin and the Zephyr and MKX are partial solutions at best--cloned Fords are no way to rebuild Lincoln. An updated RWD car and new Ranger would help, but that's hardly enough.

Cost control: The company still hasn't figured out how to run factories efficiently or how to do anything with suppliers other than squeeze and alienate them. UAW flexibility on health care will help, but only a little.

Quality: If Ford can't manage fast, glitch free product launches the company is toast--and there's no sign that they can. Why should a customer put up with a great faulty product from Ford when s/he can get an equally great flawless product from Toyota?

I say this not as a Ford hater but as a devoted Ford fan who has grown weary of waiting for the day when the company rouses itself and decides to be fully competitive. Does the "Way Forward" include any planning beyond the next 3 years? I'll bet not. What the company needs most is nimble product decisions and long-term vision.

I'm sorry Ford, but I'll never have a hermisillo fusion or a thai ranger in my driveway...I have kids that will need jobs someday, and when it comes to the auto industry, an investment that big had better be mostly american made, and by an american company. Ford's in a tight spot I know, but if they cant figure out how to make a quality domestic product profitably, I cant in good faith feel good about rewarding them with a chunk of my families income. I know they CAN do it(I just bought a Mustang GT), I just hope they dont continue to take the cut-and-run business model tactics that have been the demise of the industry for so long now. A true leader will find a way to do it. I dont have a clue whats involved, but with Bill Ford's family business hanging over his head, I think he's in the position to decide...tomorrows stock price, or growing domestic market by creating jobs...the economy is full circle, and until they start adding jobs and the UAW finds some middle ground, its going to be tough. Times are getting tough, and selling high volume/lower profit product, with a lot of domestic parts suppliers working at more competitive rates is the only way to rebuild domestic market long term. Greed got us here(milking cheap offshore labor/overly generous labor agreements), greed surely wont get us out- it needs a lot of give on both sides.

ps- thanks for the new mustang- by far my alltime favorite car now. Surely it's success can be repeated here with other models.

I look and listen to some of the suggestions above and I agree with the need for great product. The Ranger and its name is old and should be killed off, same with Crown Vic and Town Car. We need to continue to reinvent our products and the truck really doesn't have a segment. The only reason it still sells is because we give them away. It is embarrassing to me to sell a great truck as the F-150 and have a 12 year old Ranger as it's smaller twin. Our product planners need to kick it up a few notches.

The plant closings are necessary at the moment. Do the math, every percent of market share we lose equates to one plant. We can't keep paying people to say at home or in GEN. We also can't heat a huge facility to only run one shift. We need to modernize our remaining plants along with the workforce. We will have to eliminate the lines of demarcation to survive. Why do you think only a handful of plants were announced?? The remaining plants will be used as negotiating tools. Change your operations or die... It isn't a joke.

Product will save us but people like ford4v429 will not help us. A Fusion is a FORD product. The profit goes into YOUR pocket. We make $1500 more profit making the car in Mexico. Our costs are too high to make a profit on small cars in America. Sorry, but it is basic economics. The Focus should be made there too; we only lose $3000 on each one we make. As for large cars and trucks, America is the perfect spot to build. The feeling of "entitlement" that the company owes everyone jobs for their kids is gone. We all have to compete for jobs and market share so my recommendations is to try and sell any product, whether a Ranger or a Range Rover to your friends and family. Every sale counts to saving our company and your job.

I look and listen to some of the suggestions above and I agree with the need for great product. The Ranger and its name is old and should be killed off, same with Crown Vic and Town Car. We need to continue to reinvent our products and the truck really doesn't have a segment. The only reason it still sells is because we give them away. It is embarrassing to me to sell a great truck as the F-150 and have a 12 year old Ranger as it's smaller twin. Our product planners need to kick it up a few notches.

The plant closings are necessary at the moment. Do the math, every percent of market share we lose equates to one plant. We can't keep paying people to say at home or in GEN. We also can't heat a huge facility to only run one shift. We need to modernize our remaining plants along with the workforce. We will have to eliminate the lines of demarcation to survive. Why do you think only a handful of plants were announced?? The remaining plants will be used as negotiating tools. Change your operations or die... It isn't a joke.

Product will save us but people like ford4v429 will not help us. A Fusion is a FORD product. The profit goes into YOUR pocket. We make $1500 more profit making the car in Mexico. Our costs are too high to make a profit on small cars in America. Sorry, but it is basic economics. The Focus should be made there too; we only lose $3000 on each one we make. As for large cars and trucks, America is the perfect spot to build. The feeling of "entitlement" that the company owes everyone jobs for their kids is gone. We all have to compete for jobs and market share so my recommendations is to try and sell any product, whether a Ranger or a Range Rover to your friends and family. Every sale counts to saving our company and your job.

I'm just one guy with one opinion...but, I cant see how domestic imports can help long term. I understand it is more profitable to go elsewhere for labor, and cannot imagine the pain of paying folks to stay home or heat a million square feet thats unused most of the time... I'm not a ford employee, but like everyone else in this country, the automotive industry in general affects me too. I would feel much better spending money on a 'mostly' domestic supplied/assembled/owned product than otherwise. I would be no more swayed to buying an imported ford than a domestically produced import...in actuality, I think the us built foreign car might return more longterm than the other way around- anything that expands growth elsewhere increases the likelyhood of them producing foreign copies...lok at the high quality knockoffs coming from asia...the tightrope there is who engineers the car/the machinery to build it, etc...I'm one of the few fools left that would rather pay 500 bucks for an american made widget than 200 for a fancier import...sadly that option dont exist anymore for 90% of products, and I hope the car choices dont fade into the same category.

It looks to me like things are more in the fight for survival than growth- but efficiency should be able to help with either...getting plants (and employees) updated to allow flexible product would be great, and hopefully the employees /UAW can get behind Ford as much as possible to help...I dont know about you, but i'd rather take a pay cut or work extra hours for free than to see the place Ive spent most of my adult life trying to help build fail...I think most guys would. The single biggest problem is with the product itself...trying to produce profitable domestic product to compete with relatively free labor is a huge problem- and not just in the auto industry. Aside from shipping costs, it sure seems the easy way to get more out of the product. but eventually the guy that USED to build it here (or sold tooling, or hauled rubbish from the plant, or whatever) is unemployed, so he cant buy the product, and the guy in (insert other country here) dont make enough to buy it, who buys the product? fewer and fewer are left, so volume drops, prices have to go up, and here we still are. Plants performing below capacity- it should be no suprise that theyre getting shutdown, yet announcements seem to have suprised many...are employees kept abreast of their particular plants expected ROI, and if its in the red, do they realize it? Do they offer up ways to help, or shrug the shoulders and go home...I'd say when times at work were hard, more than half the guys would do anything they could to help...Sadly some labor agreements probably wouldnt tolerate that behavior though...thats one thing that will need to get better in time.

The right product can fly in the right plants- Ive never heard of a 'loss' from the new Mustang, other than the few waiters that got fed up and walked away many months after ordering...I just thank God the Mustang was built here- it was love at first sight to me at the cleveland auto show, and first question(of many) I asked that day- "where is it built?". Had it been non-domestic, I would have walked away and cried.

Hopefully more attractive styling will find its way to the dealerships, and more 'love at first sight' buyers will pop out of the woodwork.

I still think a 56 F100 on the ranger would be a big seller. Early Mustang/Fat Fendered pickup/ Fastback fullsize...these are what Ive always dreamed of, and the Mustang was the first new car I ever bought more from want than for need. I might need a crown Vic in a couple years as the kids get bigger, but would much rather 'want it' due to better lines. if its prettied up/domestic built, it will sell a bunch, probably one here...if imported, will probably still sell a bunch, but not here...sorry. Ive heard nothing but good reviews about the new fusion- good job(at least engineering/design is home based) but as long as alternatives exist, I just have to do what feels right. I've yet to read how any foreign expansion has 'helped' the average guy out...to me NAFTA was outright treasonous. Maybe 29$ DVD players are great 'deals', but I doubt even wallmart or bestbuy have increased their longtertm survival by selling them. I bet a bunch of ex-RCA/Magnavox/Phillips/'any other now offshore company' are not smiling when they buy them. And yeah, I'm a hypocrite- I got one too...but am not proud of it, just the american option wasnt there anymore.

I truly feel for Ford GM and somewhat even (daimler) Chrysler, the guys at the top have a huge challenge in front of them...with the legacy attached, Bill Ford is probably facing the toughest job on earth, and I wish him nothing but success...but I'm just hoping for more attractive/american/affordable products(like mustang) to show up- I still think it could happen if enough folks insist on it- maybe its looking thru rose colored glasses to some, but I really think getting people passionate about cars again is the key. 10,000 pretty hemi challengers wont change much for daimler, a few thousand gorgeous GT(40)s wont turn ford around...but just look at the repercussions out here over these models. produce a pretty car like these at an affordable price, and you get another 05/06 mustang. Now if mopar puts that challenger out in numbers at 25-32k, things might get interesting for them too. The new mustang has a ways to go...boss/mach versions not even talked about yet...lots of updating for cheap on a very pretty basic design- very smart move on Fords part...I'd love a shaker, but wasnt able to wait to see when one might be offered, etc...

begine designing a new midsize-large car platform competitive with Chrysler and GM's larger cars.

They already have done this, it is called the D3 (Five-Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego). It is a platform that is competive with anything from Chrysler and is WAY beyond (W-body) anything that GM offers right now.

All they need is a facelift to give them a little more excitement and an option of a larger engine. There is no reason to throw the D3 out.

Edited by 2005Explorer

You don't work at a Ford dealership do you? How about making a warranty visit more customer friendly, if you only knew how many hoops Ford has the dealers jump through for some of the repairs. And then audits the dealer because their "126 report" says they're higher than they should be in cost per repair or the number of warranty repairs per repair order. Or how about Ford states that (i think it was about 40%) of the DPFE's that are returned to the Warranty Parts Analysist Center are not defective, well if thats true how come a new one fixed the problem? Might be because moisture and electricity don't mix and by the time Ford got around to testing the returned units they've dry'ed out. Ford needs to get back to making vehicles the public can count on and quit trying to micro-manage the dealerships. Ford do what you do best and let the dealers do what they do best.

Give the dealerships the authority to address customer concerns without having to go through prior approvals etc.

And before anyone says i'm anti Ford i'm not, just tired of alot of the stupid games,policies and procedures.

Like when they screwed up the trannies in the 03-04 explorer's and refused to repair them?

I know there's a lot of topics like these but these are (in my mind) relatively easy thing Ford could do within the next 3-5 years that would be much better for Ford.

Keep the Ranger the same size, put in a 6-speed automatic transmission, and replace the Vulcan 3.0L and 4.0L SOHC V6's with the Taurus SHO-derived 3.0L V6 and 4.4L V8 (if it would be reasonable in cost to do). Make changed to these engines' intake system to increase torque and you have two excellent engines that would get better gas mileage than the current Ranger. A truck that small should get better than 17 city/23 highway ratings.

Then, re-engineer the frame so it's fully boxed like the F-series. And for the sake of the Ranger, DO NOT make it larger or try to make it appear similar to the F-series. The Ranger would be selling 250,000 yearly if Ford would make it a competitive truck for 2006 instead of 1993. I have sent Ford 2-3 emails stating the above, if Ford lets the Ranger die, they deserve all the sales they would lose.

Update the Panther-chassis cars' drivetrains, and begine designing a new midsize-large car platform competitive with Chrysler and GM's larger cars.

Redesign the block of the Modular's so a V8 can have a capacity of anywhere from 4.6L to 7.0L. This will eliminate the need for the V10, which would be cheaper for Fod in the long run since the only difference between any engine derived from that block would be the rotating assembly. That would be a truly modular engine.

Also, make all Ford engine a little more attractive, paint the blocks (Fod blue of course), and have more attractive valve covers, and make all upper intake manifolds out of aluminum instead of plastic (if for asthetic reasons only, and an aluminum manifold definently isn't going to crack).

3. Discontinue all pushrod engines left, and use the SHO/Yamaha V6's and V8's in any midsize cars that require the power but can't accomodate a Modular.

Ths one explains itself. Pushrod engines at Ford are obsolete, and the Yamaha V6 is a great engine.

4. Keep assembly in the USA, why is Ford building the Fusion in Mexico and the Edge in Canada when St. Louis, Wixom, and Atlanta are barely producing anything here in the USA?

This is really all Ford needs to do for the rest of the decade. Other than the Ranger/Panther and the limited capacity of the Modular V8, I have no problem with Ford's operations.

Nothing moves or changes without some different force being applied to them. Ford needs such new forces and in the case of a company, this means new well qualified personell to be such forces. Nothing will change as long as Ford keeps whipping the dead horses they have now. To top it off they are cutting the input of the few great car people that they do have, so they have a double force problem in trying to changing.

funny, I think they should dump the 'retail' ranger altogether and just sell them commercially(no changes, more proffits). There is no money to redo a ranger that would not make enough market share back quickly enough. They could simply 'chop' the explorer down and do a live rear axle if they wanted to make a better pickup though.

I really don't think that winning the hp wars will save the company, but they do need a new V8. The unbelievably glaring lack of a diesel F150/Expy that EVERYONE wants dumbfounds me though. THAT is the most relavant powertrain change

Dump the minivan, RUSH the damn Fairlane, whats the friggin holdup, cripes its painfull to watch how slow things move. As for the 'scion' type comment, I think baby Bronco would rock too, decontented escape platform, small 4cyl based vehicle with all the cool electric gizmos and keep it at 18-24k. With the Fairlane and Bronco, those are two vehicles alone that would not even have a direct competitor.

Edited by kevinb120

First, the Ranger should be dropped and a BRAND NEW ( MIDSIZE ) pick-up should be added. RANGER owners would move up, DAKOTA owners would move over and the WORLD would get a BRAND NEW FORD PICK-UP made by the best pick-up manufacturer in the world. YES, it should be made in the U.S.A. Second, what was the deal with that T-BIRD? Come on now, bring it back out as the (TXT) THUNDERBIRD EXTREME. Go head to head with the CORVETTE, front engine, rear drive, two seat POWERHOUSE it was meant to be. There is more than enough room in the FORD line up for two serious SPORT CARS !!! It also should be made in the U.S.A. Third, have they ever thought of retooling one of their closed plants and manufacturing an AMERICAN MADE TOURING MOTORCYCLE? How's that for a noval idea? I'm sure they would sell millions of all 3 of these products!!! In closing, most AMERICAN'S understand trade deficites and JOB'S leaving AMERICA. Give them WORLD CLASS AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS and no one can compete!!! Randy (31 year FORD employee)

In closing, most AMERICAN'S understand trade deficites and JOB'S leaving AMERICA. Give them WORLD CLASS AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS and no one can compete!!! Randy (31 year FORD employee)

Unless of course, those world class American-made products cost more (which they would). Then nobody would care and continue to buy the cheaper Chinese version. :P

Unless of course, those world class American-made products cost more (which they would). Then nobody would care and continue to buy the cheaper Chinese version. :P

That's the mentality of someone who does not understand economics, ever heard the sane (you have to spend money to make money). Keep buying cheaper imported products from slave labor countries and soon no one here will have a job to buy anything. Don't tell me about the cars and trucks TOYOTA & HONDA build here or the jobs they create. For every car or truck they build here, they import 4 to 5 times as many. You explain why it's ok for JAPAN to export 1.9 million cars and trucks to NORTH AMERICA while they only import 30,000 from NORTH AMERICA. This country CAN NOT survive with (20 BILLION DOLLAR MONTHLY) trade deficites with CANADA, MEXICO and JAPAN. CHINA is even worse. AMERICAN PEOPLE need to wake up before it's to late. The GOVERMENT apparently has no interest in fixing the problem. Whatever happened to ( A GOVERMENT of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE for the PEOPLE ). It's up to the AMERICAN CITIZENS to take this country back. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

That's the mentality of someone who does not understand economics, ever heard the sane (you have to spend money to make money). Keep buying cheaper imported products from slave labor countries and soon no one here will have a job to buy anything. Don't tell me about the cars and trucks TOYOTA & HONDA build here or the jobs they create. For every car or truck they build here, they import 4 to 5 times as many. You explain why it's ok for JAPAN to export 1.9 million cars and trucks to NORTH AMERICA while they only import 30,000 from NORTH AMERICA. This country CAN NOT survive with (20 BILLION DOLLAR MONTHLY) trade deficites with CANADA, MEXICO and JAPAN. CHINA is even worse. AMERICAN PEOPLE need to wake up before it's to late. The GOVERMENT apparently has no interest in fixing the problem. Whatever happened to ( A GOVERMENT of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE for the PEOPLE ). It's up to the AMERICAN CITIZENS to take this country back. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

That was kind of my point. Americans in general don't give a crap about economics on a large scale. They only care about how much money is going to come out of THEIR wallets. If they can save $10 on an appliance made in China, they are going to do it, future of America be damned.

Let's face it -- America's economy can't continue to rely so heavily on manufacturing. There is no way they can compete on a global level anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

4. Keep assembly in the USA, why is Ford building the Fusion in Mexico and the Edge in Canada when St. Louis, Wixom, and Atlanta are barely producing anything here in the USA?This is really all Ford needs to do for the rest of the decade. Other than the Ranger/Panther and the limited capacity of the Modular V8, I have no problem with Ford's operations.

UAW???

The Ranger and its name is old and should be killed off, same with Crown Vic and Town Car.

Hopefully if this idiot actually works in the Glass House, he's slated among the 30,000 to be fired. Perhaps Lee Iacocca is "revenge" posting to this thread . . . .

The kill-off-the-old-names mentality is pure marketing hogwash generated by ignorant "deck chair rearrangers" who contribute nothing of value to the product or production side of the business.

But, let's examine their erudite marketing "logic" futher:

Mustang is an "old name" . . . why not kill it off, too?

Why even "Explorer" was used on some trucks in the late '60s (that makes it almost as "old" as Ranger--which incidentally was an Edsel nameplate before its revival on trucks) and it was even tainted further in the Firestone debacle . . . why not kill it off as well?

That "F-Series" sobriquet is more than half a century old. How can that possibly "compete" against new, hot and "fresh" handles, such as Titan[ic], Silverado (only 30 years old), Tacoma (long known as a seedy suburb of trendy Seattle)?

And those crazy Aussies have been toiling under that "Falcon" name for over 40 years . . . .

WHY EVEN "FORD" AS A BRAND IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD! How could such a baggage-laden moniker be "relevant" to all the ignorant skulls full of mush shopping for the latest "deal?"

HOWEVER, HERITAGE AND CONTINUITY ARE WHAT MAKES FORD DIFFERENT FROM MOST OF ITS INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION. THUS, INVESTMENT IN ITS HISTORIC NAMEPLATES IS ESSENTIAL TO MAXIMIZING ITS "BRAND EQUITY."

Sure, the current Ranger hasn't improved with the state of the art (no turbodiesel, no DOHC V8, no crewcab, dated styling, no six-speeds, dated ergonomics, No SVT model, etc.). The managers who haven't invested in it should be immediately fired (and the contents of their underutilized offices burned on the lawn at Fairlane)! But for the company to turn its back on nearly a twenty-year heritage of market leadership because a couple of bad years with an obsolete product is simply a triumph of meaningless, mindless change for change's sake.

Fix the Ranger, CV and Town Car! And a build a REAL Continental worth of that name. Then market each of them as improved products. Most consumers are smart enough to tell that a 2006 F-250 is materially improved over a 1965 F-250, or even a 1995 F-250, and a fairly meaningful number appreciate the continuity and inherent acknowledgement in paying tribute to Ford's rich heritage by retaining such a historic nameplate. They will be intelligent enough to discern a improvements in Ranger, CV and Town Car as well (even if Ivy-league-trained "marketers" are too dense to appreciate it)

However, to put out an uncompetitive product with a "new" name (e.g. the injury-producing, underpowered "Fusion" (you may be likely to NEED SPINAL FUSION if you crash one) or the wimpy Five Hundred or the hapless "Probe" or the poorly-executed, obsolete-engined, bland-handling Tempo/Topaz) is merely a cynical attempt to con the customers with steakless "sizzle." These are the same saps who think that every vehicle needs some souless alpha-numeric tag to compete with the Europeans and Japanese.

To paraphrase Carroll Shelby: If the vehicle is bad, the name won't help it, but if its good, it won't matter.

Fix the vehicles (see the Classic Ford post above) and leave the venerable names alone!

Edited by dr511scj

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

Stopped by to find out when the Fusion would have AWD. Found out and decided to post on my way to Subaru's website.

If you cannot tell from my handle. I live in California. Northern California. Bay Area to be exact.

Virtually no one in the Bay Area drives a domestic car. I'm sure you will be offended but domestic cars are considered to be lower class. Not so much Ford as much as Chevy and Pontiac. Chevy and Pontiac sully the remaining domestic makes. People will drive an American truck/SUV but not an American car.

Yes, you can curse us, call us un-patriotic. You are not going to shame us into your showrooms. And there are as many people within 10 miles of the California coast as there are from Sacramento to Iowa, wherever that is.

There are only two features that rank higher than brand (and associate personal image conveyed). Here they are.

1. Fuel saving technology. Hybrid technologies and other enviro-friendly technologies will get people to cross the no-man's land into a domestic showroom.

2. A body-type that no one else has will get people to cross the no-man's land into a domestic showroom.

People needing a super-huge family mover to take them to ski at Lake Tahoe is the only thing that GM still sells around here (the Suburban). The other body types missing are a true entry-level luxury medium car and true entry-level luxury large car. Price the medium car the same as the A4 and the large car as the A6 and you will be much cheaper than the 5-series or E-class. Just don't send a car that is a rental-fleet staple or a body-on-frame dinosaur.

Ford needs to understand that Toyota and Honda are first tier brands here and Ford is a one-and-a-half tier brand along with Nissan. Be thankful because GM and Chrysler are squarely second tier and the best Korean brands just surpassed Isuzu and Mitsubishi into the 2.5 tier. I am starting to see a fair number of Korean cars in the parking lots and on the freeways now.

Here are some other things that need to happen.

3. Don't rebadge your mainstream cars as luxury. GM is horrible about doing this and Cadillac is now below Toyota (not Lexus...below Toyota) in the pecking order. Ford is better about avoiding this except for the Jaguar X-type and everything Mercury. Rebadging is a sleazy, brand-withering tactic that we see right through.

4. The market segment differences between Ford and Mercury are a figment of some market analyst's imagination. Rebadging is a sleazy, brand-withering tactic that we see right through.

5. The market segment differences between Ford and Mazda are a figment of some market analyst's imagination. Rebadging is a sleazy, brand-withering tactic that we see right through.

Mazda 3 should become the Ford Focus in the US and the Mazda everywhere in Asia (save, perhaps Austrailia). The only Mazdas sold in the U.S. should be the Miata and the rotary powered cars. In fact, put the rotary in the Miata! Mazda becomes an Asian brand. Kill the remaining Mazdas or badge them as Fords.

Kill all of the Mercury versions of Fords. What is the difference between Lincoln and Mercury anyway? Mercury tries to be entry-level luxury but fails. What Ford/Mercury considers "luxury" my retired parents just got in their "standard" Honda Accord (leather, burled wood trim and everything save DVD nav for less than $24K out the door).

Accept that Lincoln is near-luxury brand competing with Infiniti and Cadillac instead of a luxury brand competing with BMW and Mercedes. Price appropriately. That's ok because you have 3 other brands to compete with the Germans. Make a near-luxury mid-size Lincoln and price it the same as the compact luxury cars. Make a near-luxury large Lincoln that someone under 60 yrs old would want and price it no higher than the A6.

Volvos should only come in AWD to compete against Audi and dominate against Subaru. Safety is the key selling point but these need to be priced at Subaru levels, not Audi levels. Volvo at Subaru prices trounces Subaru.

Jaguars should never come in wagon, SUV or AWD forms. Save those for Volvo/Land Rover. Jaguars are the sport coupes and sedans to compete with BMW and Mercedes. Never rebadge anything into a Jaguar. You don't need a compact Jag...save that for Lincoln and Volvo. Land Rovers will be able to compete with the German SUVs provided they start getting better than 12MPG.

Which brings me to my final point...

I would consider a V6 4-Runner but never a V6-Explorer. I would consider a Sport-Edition 4-Runner but never anything below Eddie Bauer for an Explorer. I might consider the first year of a new Toyota/Honda model or refresh but never earlier than a second year for a Ford/Lincoln refresh. Extended warranty is a must with an American car.

Get it? Current American capability needs an extra 2 cylinders to compete with current Japanese capability. It's the same with the fit and finsh and overall quality of American cars versus Japanese cars. You need to go one-trim-level higher with Fords (2 levels higher with GM) to get the same level of quality that you will get in a Japanese car. I think the Japanese hit the point of diminishing returns in their reliability/defect rate long ago and simply applied their same continuous quality programs to stuffing luxury items into their cars while maintainin the same price point. American car makers are 2 (Ford) to 3 (GM) refresh cycles behind and, because American companies take longer to refresh, I don't see them gaining ground anytime soon.

Accept your 1.5 tier status, price appropriately, and claw your way back to the first tier. Things will get better in 18 months simply because the economy will get better. 2006 = 1995. Boom times are ahead. Use the boom to catch up instead of milking cash cows.

On the bright side, you are one home run away from being accepted. Lexus was a pure East-bay brand. Remember the high-bling "gold trim" package for the LS400?!? Man that was ghetto. Lexus's fortunes changed when the the RX300 came out. That was a home run. GM needs a season full of grand-slams to get back into good graces in the Bay Area but Ford/Lincoln/Jaguar/Volvo/Land Rover are a single home run (each) away.

Feel free to flame away, but you won't shame me into your showroom.

Edited by 9erFan

Yes, you can curse us, call us un-patriotic. You are not going to shame us into your showrooms. And there are as many people within 10 miles of the California coast as there are from Sacramento to Iowa, wherever that is...There are only two features that rank higher than brand (and associate personal image conveyed)..

Your statements are good examples of why the rest of us choose not to live in California.

If you want an excellent AWD car at a good price then look at the Ford Five Hundred.

Edited by F250