Navistar Stops Production of 6.4L Engines!!!!!

fordmatt21

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070226/20070226005535.html?.v=1

After all Ford had gone through with these guys I was surprised that they were still using them for the new Super Duty and it looks like they're paying the price. Ford is in a terrible position, they need to get these trucks out to dealers but they can't want to give in to Navistar. I just hope it gets resolved soon.

I wonder if there's a typo going on somewhere. One link I read today read the 4.6 Powerstroke's are on hold. These are the smaller diesels based of the now old 6.0 PS diesel. Ford uses them in the low cab forward comercial vehicles.

But now, some links are saying production of the 6.4 diesel are being stopped. Is there a typo somewhere? Someone either has their numbers transposed, or both engines were stopped.

92merc- i've seen the variations as well but most say that navistar has stopped shipping diesel engines to ford which to me means the 6.4 and 4.6. also the articles say that they closed their indy plant and only kept the huntsville one open for other customers so i would guess all engines are affected because of this as well. the articles also mention that ford has said they have adequate inventories to support production in the short term.

92merc- i've seen the variations as well but most say that navistar has stopped shipping diesel engines to ford which to me means the 6.4 and 4.6. also the articles say that they closed their indy plant and only kept the huntsville one open for other customers so i would guess all engines are affected because of this as well. the articles also mention that ford has said they have adequate inventories to support production in the short term.

I was just about to go put an order in for an F-350 6.4 liter diesel.......guess that is on hold now :doh:

I spoke with someone at Ford in regards to how many engines they actually had stocked before the Navistar stop shipping issues arosed, and they commented that they had several engines in stock to last them for several months. So, I do not forsee any delays in regular shipments to anyone. Now that the issue is somewhat resolved, business as usual.......

I spoke with someone at Ford in regards to how many engines they actually had stocked before the Navistar stop shipping issues arosed, and they commented that they had several engines in stock to last them for several months. So, I do not forsee any delays in regular shipments to anyone. Now that the issue is somewhat resolved, business as usual.......

A court order was instituted late Thursday which in essence told Navistar to resume shipments and to Ford to pay for the engines.

• 1 month later...

Personally I think that Ford should have kept the 7.3L engine and expanded on that platform, since it was the best. Now we have this 6.4L twin turbo shit after the infamous 6.0L! I guess ignorance is bliss. Here's a thought, Ford gets out of the Navistar contract and goes to Caterpillar who already produces a 7.2L straight six. I think that consumers of light diesel trucks would have more confidence in Ford, if they were to make such a move. If they can already sell twice the number of diesels than the competition (GM, Dodge) combined, just imagine how they would do with an engine that will not only be RELIABLE, but will perform as well.

Not to mention that Ford already asked all the diesel suppliers like Caterpillar if they could build an engine for them. Heavy Duty diesel engine makers do not know how to make a cheap-o engine for light duty truck use. Their engines would have been too expensive. So Ford stuck with International for the 6.4.

Not to mention that Ford already asked all the diesel suppliers like Caterpillar if they could build an engine for them. Heavy Duty diesel engine makers do not know how to make a cheap-o engine for light duty truck use. Their engines would have been too expensive. So Ford stuck with International for the 6.4.

Cummins produces engines for Peterbilt, International produces engines for some of it's own heavy trucks, and Isuzu produces engines for all the POS Chevys and GMCs. I'm sure Caterpillar or one of the other big name engine companies could produce something for Ford, better than what International Navistar can produce. There were also rumors circulating in the last issue of Diesel Power about a possible partnership between CAT and Toyota to produce a diesel for the new Tundra 1500/2500 thing. Let's hope the 6.4L turns out to be a good engine.

• 3 months later...
Personally I think that Ford should have kept the 7.3L engine and expanded on that platform, since it was the best. Now we have this 6.4L twin turbo shit after the infamous 6.0L! I guess ignorance is bliss. Here's a thought, Ford gets out of the Navistar contract and goes to Caterpillar who already produces a 7.2L straight six. I think that consumers of light diesel trucks would have more confidence in Ford, if they were to make such a move. If they can already sell twice the number of diesels than the competition (GM, Dodge) combined, just imagine how they would do with an engine that will not only be RELIABLE, but will perform as well.

So I take it you own one of the 6.4L twin turbo shitty trucks (as you call it)...Tell me what problems have you had with yours?...So you like your under power 7.3L that you have to add performance parts to so it can get out of it's own way?

Edited by jam116