Toyota's NASCAR problems

CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA

As Toyota approaches the prospect of becoming the number one automotive manufacturer, they have been careful not to gloat over its success. One family member of the Toyota family has even stated that being number one is not important.

To Toyota's dismay, its foray into NASCAR seems to have triggered a new wave of anti-Japanese and specifically anti-Toyota sentiment. "Just think about how our troops will be demoralized if something Japanese makes a good showing. It would be like finding 'Honda' in huge neon lights on the Washington monument or finding sushi on the menu at Denny's, writes Capt. Fogg on his Human Voices blog.

"References to Pearl Harbor intermingled with 'Jap' are scattered throughout several anti-Toyota blogs and Websites, reports Caroline Aoyagi-Stom of the Pacific Citizen: "I mean first, Pearl Harbor, then baseball, and now this! ...they don't belong in NASCAR"; "I ain't gonna sit back and see them Japs taking this place over, they bombed us let's bomb them."

One General Motors employee has posted a Website to serve as a forum for anti-Toyota NASCAR fans: Fans Against Racing Toyotas, or F.A.R.T. Founder Bill Bagwell asserts, however, that he is falsely accused of being racist. "I'm not against the Japanese or Asian people. It's about the deep pockets of Toyota and the loyalty of people," says Bagwell.

The Pacific Citizen's Storm says, "Much of the arguments behind the anti-Toyota movement stems from the concept of foreigners being unwelcome... Yet, when Dodge recently made its way back to NASCAR after a 16 year absence, the company was welcomed with open arms, even though Dodge is owned by DaimlerChrysler, a German car company.

Certainly, not all NASCAR fans share this sentiment. Even Bagwell has posted opposing viewpoints on his blog. Most recently, Fans Against Racing Toyotas has posted the comments of USMC Rob Knoll, who states:

"A Miami Herald article said that Toyota was underhanded because it lured drivers from other teams. What do you expect them to do? Companies have been doing that for ages. ...The Camry is the only NASCAR Cup car built in the United States. The Ford Fusion is built in Mexico, and the Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Monte Carlo are built in Canada." I think Toyota is doing a little more for the country and sport than you've given them credited for."

"In short, the world is now a global market place. With ever shrinking paychecks, people are trying to get the most for their dollar. I know I am," says Knoll. "I am a proud American who has deployed to Iraq twice for our country so I think my support speaks for itself. I worked at Ground Zero two days after the attack and banded together with other Americans as we all mourned the tragedy. That is the true fabric of America, not what brand of car we drive. When it comes to expanding the sport I love, and it involves the inclusion of a company that supports Americans like Toyota, I'm all for it."

Back Seat Driving

But open wheel racing is a vastly different world from stock car racing.

"Exactly - NASCAR is meant as like actual cars racing, whereas IndyCar puts more emphasis on the sponsors instead of the engines."

Wow what terrible writing of mine--

I mean that NASCAR is meant to emulate "real cars" and IndyCar never makes this claim.

Edited by Roadrunner

I'm a little tired of hearing that the Camry is the only car in NASCAR made in America.

All of the cars in NASCAR are made in America.

None of the cars have anything to do with the name sharing mass produced counterparts.

Well said. Cant remember tha last time Yota sold an 800hp Camry.

The term 'global economy' makes my stomach turn. Translation- Other countries around the world with full government-protected corporations picking away at America's last few remaining businesses and industries along with a government up for sale to the highest bidders while its general populous sleeps in a consumerist self-indulgent trance.

I'm a little tired of hearing that the Camry is the only car in NASCAR made in America.

All of the cars in NASCAR are made in America.

None of the cars have anything to do with the name sharing mass produced counterparts.

Its where the proffit goes that matters. Just because we can not afford to build vehicles here because Japanese companies get all the US taxpayer subsidies with full protection from unions isn't really Ford or GM's fault. We are Japan's Mexico.