• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw that Ford released the 2008 Crown Victoria Order Guide on March 12th and that it will be available for Fleets only. Just wanted to pass this along for those that are interested.

Just another example how Ford intends to gradually kill off enough CV/GM sales to justify closing the St. Thomas Assembly Plant.

Rather than take actions designed to improve sales....Ford has chosen to continue to shrink its sales - intentionally - in order to meet its inexplicable goals of less production.....requiring less capacity......requiring less employees..........and so on.

The Company somehow fails to recognize that GROWTH is the key to survival in ANY business.

The end is near.........December 2010 would be my guess. Be prepared. Sad but true...

Just another example how Ford intends to gradually kill off enough CV/GM sales to justify closing the St. Thomas Assembly Plant.

Rather than take actions designed to improve sales....Ford has chosen to continue to shrink its sales - intentionally - in order to meet its inexplicable goals of less production.....requiring less capacity......requiring less employees..........and so on.

The Company somehow fails to recognize that GROWTH is the key to survival in ANY business.

The end is near.........December 2010 would be my guess. Be prepared. Sad but true...

Don't count STAP out yet, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel . :shades:

With the right circumstances, this could be the best decision Ford could have ever made.

Keep the current CV the way it is with modest upgrades. Don't sink any more money into it than absolutely has to be, and keep it fleet only.

Develop a new RWD sedan for retail use. Whether or not it's on the same architecture, who cares, but do NOT let the new vehicle share ANY body panels with the CV. This will enable the new sedan to gain customers that don't want to drive a taxi or police car, while maintaining resale value.

This is what should have been done with the Taurus. You make a little bit of money on the sale of the vehicle, a lot of money on replacement parts, and you keep valuable customers under your nameplate.

I agree - just hope this IS what Ford has in store ... maybe Interceptor/MKR announcement is in store for the NYIAS? I am maybe too optimistic :D

Igor

I wonder if Ford does go with the Mustang-based platform (Interceptor/MKR concepts), what does that say about Mercury? Will Ford build these two solely without a Mercury version? Is there the belief that they will herd the Grand Marquis buyers into a Sable or Taurus? Perhaps the fate of the Panthers will likewise be the fate of Mercury. When they go, Mercury goes with them.

As for the concept cars we've seen...I think they are destined to be the RWD replacements. They just make sense. Corporate sharing of powertrains/drivetrains on a stretched platform that already exists and one that has long-term investment potential.

SPECULATION: The Panthers are soon 100% done for, I believe. No more major investments is what my gut says and an announcement with intentions to build production versions of the Ford and Lincoln will soon happen.

The CV/GM have become the Checker Marathon of our time.

I believe the Caprice had the same style for about 10 years back in the 80's and that never seemed to be a issue.

Sad to hear the Vic is fleet car only.We have several in our family.Like it better then the Marquis.

Sad, sad day indeed. Ford is the only car company I know of that trys NOT to sell something. They pretty much condemned it in sequence with the Five Hundread release anyway. They have something like a $1K rebate on CVs versus a $5K rebate on GMQs. Good luck finding one in stock at a Ford dealership, you'd think they were selling like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. Plenty of dusty Five Hundreads though. My wife's uncle went shopping for a 2007 CV and got shoved into a Fusion and told CVs were no longer made.

Abandoning the GMQ and TC is the equivalent to Toyota canning the Camry or Honda abandoning the Accord. I can't imagine why they no longer are selling in droves, no advertising, minimal updates, annual decontenting, not stocked, standing orders for sales staff to shove buyers into anything else, makes sense to me, let's use the same sales tactics for the F-150, hey? Fools.

Sad, sad day indeed. Ford is the only car company I know of that trys NOT to sell something. They pretty much condemned it in sequence with the Five Hundread release anyway. They have something like a $1K rebate on CVs versus a $5K rebate on GMQs. Good luck finding one in stock at a Ford dealership, you'd think they were selling like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. Plenty of dusty Five Hundreads though. My wife's uncle went shopping for a 2007 CV and got shoved into a Fusion and told CVs were no longer made.

Abandoning the GMQ and TC is the equivalent to Toyota canning the Camry or Honda abandoning the Accord. I can't imagine why they no longer are selling in droves, no advertising, minimal updates, annual decontenting, not stocked, standing orders for sales staff to shove buyers into anything else, makes sense to me, let's use the same sales tactics for the F-150, hey? Fools.

I hate to say this but everything you wrote is sad but true. The dealers are pretty much told NOT to sell you a CV or GM and sell you a 500 , thats the Ford way now,turn away sales so the 500 numbers look good or should I say somewhat better. Fleet only in 08 and no GM in 09.

I hate to say this but everything you wrote is sad but true. The dealers are pretty much told NOT to sell you a CV or GM and sell you a 500 , thats the Ford way now,turn away sales so the 500 numbers look good or should I say somewhat better. Fleet only in 08 and no GM in 09.

Maybe six months after production ends for good on the Panther line forever we'll get a big press release about Mulally driving a rental Vic and saying "Why'd we stop making these?" like he did with the previous gen Torea$$. <Insert Carlos Mencia "dee da dee" for those playing from home>

The loss of cars like the Caprice and the soon to be Crown Vic are examples of what is wrong with our country today. Everything I read about the Crown Vic mostly is based on heresay rather than actual account. People think they are gas-hogs....they are not. People think they handle like boats and are slow...they are not. Sedan buyers think that the Crown Vic is behind the times with options not available that they can get on more modern cars...and Ford offers many of the same options on the CV/GM/LTC. They think they are not up to par with modern cars...they actually are.

What has killed the Panthers is basically ignorance of the modern example of the Panther. Ford dealers don't try to sell them, because {A} people think they don't want one and {B} because Ford desparately wants a car like the Five-Hundred/Taurus or Fusion to win buyers for the coveted sales figures. IMO, Ford should utilize their offerings with as many as possible. If you have three or four different sedans on your lot, you're more likely to find one that is desirable. Everybody doesn't want a Crown Vic...but everybody doesn't want a Five-Hundred/Taurus or Fusion. If all you push is a Five-Hundred or Fusion and the consumer doesn't like either, they are gone to Chevrolet, Toyota or Honda.

Edited by Traveler

Maybe there should be a "mass" e-mail campaign to Mulally urging him to leave the Crown Vic a retail car. I agree with other posters about Ford not trying to sell the CV. There's not a better car on the road for the value right now. It could be redesigned with a look more like the Fusion/08 Taurus then promoted heavily as a family value car.

The loss of cars like the Caprice and the soon to be Crown Vic are examples of what is wrong with our country today. Everything I read about the Crown Vic mostly is based on heresay rather than actual account. People think they are gas-hogs....they are not. People think they handle like boats and are slow...they are not. Sedan buyers think that the Crown Vic is behind the times with options not available that they can get on more modern cars...and Ford offers many of the same options on the CV/GM/LTC. They think they are not up to par with modern cars...they actually are.

What has killed the Panthers is basically ignorance of the modern example of the Panther. Ford dealers don't try to sell them, because {A} people think they don't want one and {B} because Ford desparately wants a car like the Five-Hundred/Taurus or Fusion to win buyers for the coveted sales figures. IMO, Ford should utilize their offerings with as many as possible. If you have three or four different sedans on your lot, you're more likely to find one that is desirable. Everybody doesn't want a Crown Vic...but everybody doesn't want a Five-Hundred/Taurus or Fusion. If all you push is a Five-Hundred or Fusion and the consumer doesn't like either, they are gone to Chevrolet, Toyota or Honda.

Maybe there should be a "mass" e-mail campaign to Mulally urging him to leave the Crown Vic a retail car. I agree with other posters about Ford not trying to sell the CV. There's not a better car on the road for the value right now. It could be redesigned with a look more like the Fusion/08 Taurus then promoted heavily as a family value car.

Well said guys! Just like the saying goes "You don't know what you got till it's gone". Too bad Detroit doesn't check out these posts maybe they'd realise maybe we should listen to the comman man and woman who builds cars and buys them. or maybe they do read these posts. :stats:

Ford has pretty much written off mainstream auto buyers to the Japanese - Ford is focused on trucks and smaller niches.

They are trying to compete with the Fusion, but everything else on the car side is inferior, and the Panther doesn't fit the image they want for Ford.

Hit it right on the head, Traveler. :ohsnap:

Yet, the Panther is not going to be winning buyers back. For all of its many improvements that many of us recognize, Ford could not likely sell larger quantities of Crown Vics as mainstream vehicles any more...even with a sales campaign. The Panther has more days behind it than ahead of it and we all know that. Even though the undercarriage of these cars have been virtually reinvented several times, buyers and the automotive media can not get past its lineage that goes back nearly 30 years.

For those who are strictly platform loyal, its nearly over for these cars. For those of us who want to see a viable Blue Oval RWD alternative, we need to petition Ford with vigor to not give up in producing a V8 RWD successor to the Panther. That will be the true wrongdoing, because a modern product would have a much greater sales opportunity than even the best Panther. IMO, its the Mustang-based platform sedan that holds the greatest likelihood of success. Its would be judged more American and tie in well with the Mustang, which now has a well designed structurally sound platform. The Mustang is still one of those American image cars that still has a reputable and desirable image for enjoyable and reliable ownership.

I really like the Panthers, but its time to give up on them from a retail standpoint and phase them out. Its better at this point I believe to move forward with a product that car buyers will see as modern and desirable, but retaining quality and longevity. Taurus can not be the flagship sedan of Ford. Ford can not import anything from abroad to be a stand-in for the Crown Victoria. The replacement of the Crown Victoria has to be mostly home-grown and judged by one side as being reflective of old-school Ford and reminicent of the Panther while at the same time standing confidently against every other modern sedan comparable in its RWD class. Ford has a RWD Impala and the current Charger to contend with as well as competiton from overseas. With extensive interior tweaking and a new front end (minus the "Super Chief" look, the Interceptor is the best Ford car for the job IMHO and it is probably the best candidate for rapid development.

I feel that Ford can not be successful without the RWD sedan. Its an expected product of Ford, no different than vehicles like the F-150, Explorer and Mustang. Even if its never sold in large quantities anymore, its got to be there.

Edited by Traveler

I disagree, I think the Panther platform has plenty of life left in it, it doesn't get more old school than B-O-F, live axle, RWD. The benefits of keeping the Panther underneath whatever new body outweighs getting rid of it altogether. For starters, you'll keep your loyal fleet buyers, while keeping your tooling costs down which is something Ford desperately needs to do right now. As far as marketing, Ford needs to flaunt the RWD, B-O-F, live axle aspects of the Panther like that like with the current Mustang instead of hide from it like they have been. Yes, it needs a new body, and I agree the Interceptor is most likely the best bet, especially with a better looking front clip. Keep in mind, no matter what Ford does anyway, most likely will not get accepted by the automotive press anyway, so why not stick with what works instead of setting up for recalls and tooling expenses on a new unproven platform potentially alienating your most loyal customers? Not to mention getting it to the market that much faster? New body, new interior, an option of engines, and a further tweaked Panther platform accompanyed by a successful launch and a few advertising dollars could net maximum bang for the buck with minimum investment.

Edited by Armada Master

All valid points, but its not really like a completely unproven platform with it using a modified Mustang platform. Ford has platform shared before without any serious problems and lots of switchgear can be carried over in the parts bin to keep costs down. The BOF is a good sell to enthusiasts but just gets lost in a sea of concerns with consumers who value safety ratings, horsepower ratings, perceived quality and a vehicle that will last them at least 3-4 years before they trade in.

I suspect that Ford is poised to lose more of their fleet business to Dodge and Chevy. I think Dodge is probably testing fairly satisfactory in police use and Chevy will work hard to be competitive with a RWD Impala. Ford is at a crossroads and they have a four-tier sedan showroom with Focus, Fusion, Taurus and Crown Victoria. Four distinct vehicles to meet the needs of individuals, but the problem is there isn't any retail for Crown Vic and Town Car is drying up. Grand Marquis has always been the retail sale poster child for the Panthers, but let's face it...Ford is marketing the Sable and Taurus heavily and older buyers, faced with slowing reflexes, poorer eyesight and a growing fear of their own abilities to drive are choosing smaller cars. I imagine Grand Marquis is on the slippery slope and sliding, as well.

I wish there was more to be said for the Panthers, but I just can't see Ford continuing to produce the Panther. If they keep waiting, they will lose more and more fleet, lose their remaining retail and they'll play catch up for the next decade. Now is the time to begin the transition while Ford is still capable. Get some production ready models out there, tour them around and let both the buying public see them and have some special service models ready for intensive law enforcement testing.

The car's backbone...it's soul...is Mustang in both powertrain, drivetrain and platform. Solid structure and improved road feel and handling will have people intrigued. They've got to deliver though on reliability or its a complete waste of time. Toyota and Honda has beaten the daylights out of Ford in retail FWD midsize sedan sales. The RWD flagship is Ford's niche and those who appreciate the car and don't mind the RWD, will be interested if the price is right. With its Lincoln twin, its a sure thing IMO. The Lincoln MKR (is it?) is an awesome display of ingenuity and fresh direction with a classy, luxurious and sexy look.

"people think they dont want it" No, people in thr real world do not want one, nor care.

If all the loyalits bought new instead of used cop cars, they be OK. But even then, the real world hs moved on and the fanatics live in the past. Sure the Caprice looked the same in the 80's, [20 long years ago] when there were more 'WW2 era' people to buy them. Now they have passed on or can't drive anymore. Also, older people now like minivans, FWD, and SUV's.

The guy with the 'mint' '97 PI demanding that people buy new ones or Ford make more TV ads, isn't contibuiting to its sales.

As soon as GM's Zeta cars hit the road, say 'bye bye BOF' and hello unibody flex platforms for any Ford RWD sedans. Mopar hasn't made a BOF RWD car since the 1950's.

Edited by 630land

"people think they dont want it" No, people in thr real world do not want one, nor care.

If all the loyalits bought new instead of used cop cars, they be OK. But even then, the real world hs moved on and the fanatics live in the past. Sure the Caprice looked the same in the 80's, [20 long years ago] when there were more 'WW2 era' people to buy them. Now they have passed on or can't drive anymore. Also, older people now like minivans, FWD, and SUV's.

The guy with the 'mint' '97 PI demanding that people buy new ones or Ford make more TV ads, isn't contibuiting to its sales.

As soon as GM's Zeta cars hit the road, say 'bye bye BOF' and hello unibody flex platforms for any Ford RWD sedans. Mopar hasn't made a BOF RWD car since the 1950's.

I do believe its because a lot of people "think" they don't want one, because how many sedan buyers do you suppose actually look (let alone test drive) a brand-new Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria. They don't. They "think" they don't want one without even driving one in all likelihood. They are convinced, primarily by the auto media, that they are relics of the past when they have been extensively modified and are essentially new cars that have had changes made in phases rather than at one time. How many consumers from 2005 to the present visited a Ford/Mercury dealership? How many drove Five-Hundreds or Montegos? How many drove the Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis while there? Very, very few I'm sure. How many sales people actually recommended the CV or GM at all?

You see, I did just that. Actually, I drove three different Ford sedans...Five-Hundred, Taurus and Crown Victoria. I bought the one that I thought was the best car and I'm still convinced that its the best car. I had to ask about the Crown Victoria to get a response. There was no suggestions to drive it before.

One of the worst...ABSOLUTE WORST...problems with buying a Crown Vic or Grand Marq brand new is the depreciation. A person who buys one new takes an enormous hit. Its a car that you buy and plan to keep through the duration of the loan or you will get seriously burned on trade-in value. That's just matter of fact. They are great cars and are probably the most durable and long-lasting Ford car built, but most trends are to buy and trade every 3 or 4 years and most can't do that with a CV bought brand new.

Edited by Traveler

• 4 weeks later...

Too late... cutoff was weeks ago... the production of the 2008 starts in two weeks at STAP. Final buildout of the 07s is next week... they will make the 08s for a few weeks alongside the Grand Marquis and then the plant is down for the month of July mostly...and the Town car production starts in December with fiddling around with the startup during production of the cv and gm from August to December... they think they can handle it all with one shift... I doubt it.....

Screwy idea here, but... Since the Panther Platform is fully amortized and has been for years; is dependable to a fault, flexible in terms of use and pretty much exclusive to the market, why not reskin the cars until an all new RWD platform can be developed?

For example, bring back the 1990-1997 Town Car and call it "Town Car Signature" with some minor styling mods like hidden headlamps knife edge fenders and maybe louvres ala the Mark V. Power this car with a 300 hp version of the 4.6 V-8 to make it a little more exclusive.

Pick up the crisp lines, vertical taillamps and squared fenderwell openings of the 1968 Park Lane Brougham and meld it to the Grand Marquis with the current Town Car's quad headlamps and market it as a "Park Lane" or "Marquis Brougham".

For the big Ford, go back to the '70's and style the new sedan inspired by the '73 Thunderbird with it's sleek, smooth style, full width taillamps and low roofline. Bring back the "LTD" name with Crown Victoria.

I guess what's sad here is that this platform has so much potential yet is so badly underutlized. This platform is the very thing Ford could use to really differentiate itself in the market, and could do so in a low investment, high reliability scenario which they need.