As long as we don't go back to a 'brick' front end. That's why I have issues with the Interceptors front end. Its too flat; too squared-off.

Ford really needs a new platform that won't carry such a huge penalty for buying new in depreciation. We all know here that the Crown Vic, Grand Marq, and Town Car are great cars, but the depreciation is like dropping a brick into a swimming pool. They need to build a flagship sedan that is V8 and RWD that can interests people into buying new again. Yet the costs can't be much greater than what a comparable Panther would sticker for. That's why I'm an advocate for building off the Mustang platform and sharing items with the Mustang.

Use the engines and drivetrain, use a lot of small componentry...whatever it takes to keep the costs down. Make the car standard with a floor-mounted console shifter and do a police service dash shifter set-up like on the Charger. Ford has the Taurus to market as a stand-alone mainstream sedan. Unlike GM or Chrysler, Ford has the ability to make the flagship sedan without many compromises. The now larger Mustang on a quality uni-platform (to me) seems the best solution in keeping with a 'feel' that will remain familiar.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late... cutoff was weeks ago... the production of the 2008 starts in two weeks at STAP. Final buildout of the 07s is next week... they will make the 08s for a few weeks alongside the Grand Marquis and then the plant is down for the month of July mostly...and the Town car production starts in December with fiddling around with the startup during production of the cv and gm from August to December... they think they can handle it all with one shift... I doubt it.....

Thanks cyclopsram. I thought that would be the answer, but had to ask.

Ford need to replace them ASAP. Even the names Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis sound just like what they are: something from the 80s.

Were they good cars? Absolutely. But they are now old cop cars and taxi cabs. Their image is diluted to nearly nonexistant.

Take what is good about them and re-invent it. Call them Interceptor/Marauder or LTD/Marquis (they haven't made the "little" LTD II/Marquis since 87 LOL) they can recycle it again.

Part of the problem is the panther has an V-8 that thinks it's a 6!

On the road, however you won't find that many V6s that are 'V8 enough' to offer the same acceleration as the 4.6L V8. Most people look at the horsepower rating and think, "oh, a 3.+L V6 from this manufacturer or that one will outgun it", but I've found that to be the opposite. With the V8, you've got near 290 lb.ft. of torque at a relatively low RPM. The advantages of a V8 motor becomes more evident on the road than in the magazines. Also, I believe that the numbers would be a tad more conservative than what real dyno data would suggest. A lot has to do with the tuning. Consider the jump from the 98 Mustang GT to the 99 Mustang GT. On the surface, the gain was only 40 horsepower but the 99 GT would walk all over a 98 GT due to the ability to tune the motor to be more aggressive.

Also...the Panthers are not old. In fact, its a new car based on an older design. I consider that a big difference. Since 1998, these cars have been almost completely reengineered from the ground up....they just continue to use the design principals that have made them known for their durability and longevity. With the many mechanical changes just since '03, these cars are hardly anything like they were just 10 years ago...let alone 30 years ago. These cars can handle as good, if not better than many 'new' sedans that weigh considerably less.

As for the names, Ford can't get too radical. These cars must still relate well with their customer base and names like Interceptor and Marauder will not carry well with everyone. Personally, I have a gut feeling that there will be no Grand Marquis replacement the next time around. I think it'll just be Ford and Lincoln getting Panther replacements.

Edited by Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
Ford need to replace them ASAP. Even the names Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis sound just like what they are: something from the 80s.

Were they good cars? Absolutely. But they are now old cop cars and taxi cabs. Their image is diluted to nearly nonexistant.

Take what is good about them and re-invent it. Call them Interceptor/Marauder or LTD/Marquis (they haven't made the "little" LTD II/Marquis since 87 LOL) they can recycle it again.

Had a thought for ressurecting the panthers for 2009.

If Ford could see they way clear to put an altered Taurus body or a top hat like that onto the panther Frame,

Ford could have an easy solution to the looks of the Crown Victoria, maybe call it Galaxie for a change.

Either way, the panther needs a major face lift to save it.

I did a little extendo on the 2008 Taurus picture to give you an Idea:

2009_Crown_Victoria.jpg

Bear in mind, I support the Aussie Falcon but in fairness, it's a much smaller platform and not really

suited to replacing BOF Limos like Town Car and really big BOF cruisers.

PS, an Aussie Turbo I6 in the above "Galaxie" would be a fuel efficient rocket ship.

Edited by jpd80

If Ford could see they way clear to put an altered Taurus body or a top hat like that onto the panther Frame,

Ford could have an easy solution to the looks of the Crown Victoria, maybe call it Galaxie for a change.

I did a little extendo on the 2008 Taurus picture to give you an Idea:

2009_Crown_Victoria.jpg

Bear in mind, I support the Aussie Falcon but in fairness, it's a much smaller platform and not really

suited to replacing BOF Limos like Town Car and really big BOF cruisers.

PS, an Aussie Turbo I6 in the above "Galaxie" would be a fuel efficient rocket ship.

Whew...just love the chrome Tempo front end.

If they rename the Vic anything it should be LTD.

Edited by Armada Master

Whew...just love the chrome Tempo front end.

If they rename the Vic anything it should be LTD.

I just thought for 2009, they could bring the CV/GM and Town Car up to date with modern sheet metal and 3.7 GDI V6 and optional V8. If Ford really wanted to be daring they could use the 117" and 121" wheelbases to reduce overhangs and really make a difference.

There's always choices and if Ford see a need for retaining BOF, they should do it properly.

It might even start renewed interest in this market sector.

Grand Marquis has always been the retail sale poster child for the Panthers, but let's face it...Ford is marketing the Sable and Taurus heavily and older buyers, faced with slowing reflexes, poorer eyesight and a growing fear of their own abilities to drive are choosing smaller cars. I imagine Grand Marquis is on the slippery slope and sliding, as well.

This is just one of many reasons older buyers have turned to Toyotas. They are smaller, easier to manuver and more efficient than the Panther models and they come in beige and white too.

I wish there was more to be said for the Panthers, but I just can't see Ford continuing to produce the Panther. If they keep waiting, they will lose more and more fleet, lose their remaining retail and they'll play catch up for the next decade. Now is the time to begin the transition while Ford is still capable. Get some production ready models out there, tour them around and let both the buying public see them and have some special service models ready for intensive law enforcement testing.
The only function I see the Panthers serving is fleets. It's the Econoline Van of passenger cars now. I am surprised that the Grand Marquis has not been axed since the Taurus/Sable pretty much covers the typical buyer plus some younger than retirement age.

The Lincoln Town car should by now have the image of being America's Rolls Royce. It does fine for VIP's and Limo stretches but as a retail standpoint it really has no appeal, especially with no updates to bring it in line with the newer family look of Lincolns...

The car's backbone...it's soul...is Mustang in both powertrain, drivetrain and platform. Solid structure and improved road feel and handling will have people intrigued. They've got to deliver though on reliability or its a complete waste of time. Toyota and Honda has beaten the daylights out of Ford in retail FWD midsize sedan sales. The RWD flagship is Ford's niche and those who appreciate the car and don't mind the RWD, will be interested if the price is right. With its Lincoln twin, its a sure thing IMO. The Lincoln MKR (is it?) is an awesome display of ingenuity and fresh direction with a classy, luxurious and sexy look.

It would still be nice for there to be a four door companion with the soul of the Mustang for those who want it...

Edited by Watchdevil

Hopefully Ford saved the tooling of the 1992 Crown Victoria. It pretty much looks like the new Taurus with the six window design. All it needs is the Gillette grille.

BTW the new Taurus looks like it could have been designed in 1992 by the same person who penned the 1992 Crown Vic if you asked me.

95crownvictoria.jpg

1997%20Ford%20Crown%20Victoria.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They can't just whip up changes to 2009 models over night, it's locked in. Also, someone said 'if Ford just offfers Fusion and Taurus, buyers will go to Chevy, Honda, or Toyota' As if a CV will win them over? Anyone looking for a modern car will not get a Vic.

Also, email campaigns end up ignored as spam or hoaxes. All the loud fans should go buy the cars, not tell others to buy or expect Ford to make them just to sit pretty.

Edited by 630land

I agree with alot of the comments some of you have made. Such as Ford killing of the panther platform hey why not? it's so old right? Surely the new lines at other plants so much better than that old panther line at STAP. What a bunch of bullshit the CV and GM still have and always have proved better against any car in it's class. It's lasted so long because like it or not because these cars have not been screwed around with so much.

Another point made here no customer wants to drive a car that the police and taxis use really? Well why is Ford trying to push Escapes on the taxi companies why has Chrysler been trying to push the Charger to the cops? Hell with that logic well I guess nobody would want a Charger or an Escape. Oh yeah the Charger that everyone thought would kill the CV, yeah maybe had a chance until the police departments found out they weren't all that cracked up to be next to the CV.

Sure keep the CV for fleet sales I still think the Marauder needs to make a comeback everone and I mean everone that I have ever talked to loves that car and can't believe Ford stopped producing it. I know what the reason was too much money, but I'm sure Ford could do something with the price and hell how about advertising the car instead of all the advertising going to their trucks.

All I can say guys who knows what will happen? Maybe Toyota might discover the secret of our beloved CV and GM produced on that old panther line. I guess if Toyota starts producing their own Panther line cars we might have a chance "STAP and the panther line a diamond in the rough". But with the way things are run who knows where our plant could be and if we're gone I can see it now in the future if Toyota copies the panther in Detroit at Ford Feilds to Mulally "Shit we didn't see that comming" Mulally to Feilds "We already had a line that was producing that kind of car?"

:gang:

Panther is the best mass market platform Ford ever designed - too bad they have starved the car for years.

There is not much else Ford sells that is much different than what is sold at every other dealership in town - you would think you would try to keep what sets you apart and improve it, but not in the corner cutting world of Ford.

I guess not unlike other Panther owners, I wind up just sounding like a broken record. The more I drive this car, the more I appreciate it. My wife isn't a big fan of the car...she'd rather drive the truck but I like both in the mix. The Crown Vic is solid value transportation and I dare to say blue collar luxurious in nature. Sure, it doesn't have all the modern bells and whistles but has a good part of them. Its styling is neither exciting nor offensive or tired. Its just a pleasant car through and through.

Whatever is the responsible factor in the dying of the Panther, one thing can be said. These cars are gems for what the automobile is supposed to be all about. Not idolizing your car but allowing the car to serve you and it does so admirably. People don't want a car that is used so heavily as a police or taxi car. Why not? Is it because they are comfortable? Last for years? Durable? Relatively trouble-free? No, none of those things. Its because people are hung up on image.

I guess not unlike other Panther owners, I wind up just sounding like a broken record. The more I drive this car, the more I appreciate it. My wife isn't a big fan of the car...she'd rather drive the truck but I like both in the mix. The Crown Vic is solid value transportation and I dare to say blue collar luxurious in nature. Sure, it doesn't have all the modern bells and whistles but has a good part of them. Its styling is neither exciting nor offensive or tired. Its just a pleasant car through and through.

Whatever is the responsible factor in the dying of the Panther, one thing can be said. These cars are gems for what the automobile is supposed to be all about. Not idolizing your car but allowing the car to serve you and it does so admirably. People don't want a car that is used so heavily as a police or taxi car. Why not? Is it because they are comfortable? Last for years? Durable? Relatively trouble-free? No, none of those things. Its because people are hung up on image.

Well said. :shades:

Ditto from me- very well said. We're on our third Panther (Crown Vic recently joined the driveway to keep the Grand Marquis company). Wifey feels the same way about the cars- functional, nothing to get excited about, but comfy.... she'd rather drive the *gulp* new Silverado.

DITTO FOR ME 2

That is why we have 3 Crown Vics in our family.We can put on 200k miles on them in jungle heat and nightmare traffic with A/C never ever off with just regular Ford Maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

you know, I really wanted to write a post and defend the old platform. Asking ford to change the looks, give it more power, a better trans, etc. but when you face the reality of it. the car is being fazed out for a lot of good reasons.

people aren't buying them not just because there aren't any in sight at the dealer, or no public advertising. Its when people see them, the first thing they think is police car or taxi.

People think of the crown vic as a taxi/police car first, consumer car second. that right there will never allow the car to reach its rightful potential. Especially after the exploding gas tank lawsuits.

the media always introduces the car as "old", and people don't like paying for a new "old" car. an 07 crown vic looks identical to the 98.

And I do see the advantages of a mustang based sedan/fleet vehicle. the mustang parts are already there. what other cars are using crown vic parts? whats the point of altering the old chassis to fit the new parts when you can just stretch an exisitng new chassis?

yeah, the panther platform has finally reached the end of its life span. It was a good run though.

I agree with alot of the comments some of you have made. Such as Ford killing of the panther platform hey why not? it's so old right? Surely the new lines at other plants so much better than that old panther line at STAP. What a bunch of bullshit the CV and GM still have and always have proved better against any car in it's class. It's lasted so long because like it or not because these cars have not been screwed around with so much.

Another point made here no customer wants to drive a car that the police and taxis use really? Well why is Ford trying to push Escapes on the taxi companies why has Chrysler been trying to push the Charger to the cops? Hell with that logic well I guess nobody would want a Charger or an Escape. Oh yeah the Charger that everyone thought would kill the CV, yeah maybe had a chance until the police departments found out they weren't all that cracked up to be next to the CV.

Well said.

Sure keep the CV for fleet sales I still think the Marauder needs to make a comeback everone and I mean everone that I have ever talked to loves that car and can't believe Ford stopped producing it. I know what the reason was too much money, but I'm sure Ford could do something with the price and hell how about advertising the car instead of all the advertising going to their trucks.

I could probably stand the CV staying fleet only if it was the ONLY fleet sedan, don't sell Fusions, Tauruses, etc, CVs are it. Perhaps leave it as a special order option for individuals who come in asking for one, it's not like they are going to advertise, promote, or stock it anyway.

I've heard the same from people on the Marauder as well, enthusiasts and sheeple alike. Aside from the obvious problems with the intial Marauder launch, Ford was never serious about the powertrain to begin with. If they were it should have been in every or almost every Crown Vic Sport and Town Car as well, like the 1994-1996 Impala SS's LT1 was in GM's Roadmaster and Fleetwood.

All I can say guys who knows what will happen? Maybe Toyota might discover the secret of our beloved CV and GM produced on that old panther line. I guess if Toyota starts producing their own Panther line cars we might have a chance "STAP and the panther line a diamond in the rough". But with the way things are run who knows where our plant could be and if we're gone I can see it now in the future if Toyota copies the panther in Detroit at Ford Feilds to Mulally "Shit we didn't see that comming" Mulally to Feilds "We already had a line that was producing that kind of car?"

:gang:

Shhhh...slap a Toyota badge on the Panther and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by Armada Master

you know, I really wanted to write a post and defend the old platform. Asking ford to change the looks, give it more power, a better trans, etc. but when you face the reality of it. the car is being fazed out for a lot of good reasons.

people aren't buying them not just because there aren't any in sight at the dealer, or no public advertising. Its when people see them, the first thing they think is police car or taxi.

People think of the crown vic as a taxi/police car first, consumer car second. that right there will never allow the car to reach its rightful potential. Especially after the exploding gas tank lawsuits.

the media always introduces the car as "old", and people don't like paying for a new "old" car. an 07 crown vic looks identical to the 98.

And I do see the advantages of a mustang based sedan/fleet vehicle. the mustang parts are already there. what other cars are using crown vic parts? whats the point of altering the old chassis to fit the new parts when you can just stretch an exisitng new chassis?

yeah, the panther platform has finally reached the end of its life span. It was a good run though.

Just to let you know orders at the plant are up 17% from last year....hard to kill a panther these days.