SHO of enthusiasm

Mark B. Morrow

I said yesterday that hints of a new SHO would make auto news sites all tingly...

...and the SHO is one of Ford's brightest spots in recent memory, regardless the actual sales numbers and the half-assed late 90's version.

To me, this is a no-brainer, must-do kinda thing. Then again, interest in the MKR makes me feel the same way...and I haven't heard anything about that one getting built.

If this new info doesn’t get people excited about the campaign, I don’t know what will!!!!! :hyper:

Hi Shoman, Take a look at Black Manta's chops with the rear quarter window blanked out (post # 8). It gives the car a completely different look and a less rounded roof.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=10590

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Doesn't look finished with the missing window. I think perhaps a different shaped window as opposed to taking it away might look better..a bit overused, but perhaps a dogleg?

Yeah, I can't see the complete removal of the window being any help in reducing the blind spot either. Of course, changing the shape would likely require creating a whole new die for the stamping. So, probably not going to happen.

In either case, chances are a new SHO, if it's coming, won't appear until the Taurus gets a full makeover, making most of the styling critiques now pointless.

• 4 weeks later...
Id like to see it. If they made that with the TT3.5, AWD and a manual trans..... i might have to forget that i want the Oz Falcon...

i dont agree and im sure ford might think the same.

personally it would be best suited with the yamaha 4.4 used in the audi s80 because it will share the same platform as i hear it it would be easiest to do as well.

i think the oringional SHO was made to function as a family car and yet still be able to turn heads on the street, they could have easily made the oringional SHO a boosted from the factory or even bigger displacement.

the stories floating around about the oringional SHO engine ford got from yamaha was making anywhere from 300 to 380 hp but it was going to go in project GN34 which was gonna be a mid engine car to compete with Corvette but it was dropped.. no one knows for sure but things that have been said was they dropped the oringional engine and detuned it because they didnt want their family car competing with their fleet car, Mustang. even tho it was but im not getting into that part.

also not to mention they didnt want to have a huge warrenty to keep up with a engine they really didnt know anything about.

there was videos floating around i guess of the oringional SHO at the ford plant they tested it from as i hear it anywhere from 10k up to 14 k rpms and the engine did well with no wear after they tore it apart.

after the GN34 project was scrapped ford ran around trying to find something to do with this engine, they did everything from SHO rangers to giving many of these engines away to schools and the like because they had to keep the contract with yamaha for the engines.

it finally made its home in the taurus with the thought in mind of not being the fastest production car but a fun car. that it was and many came to love it. just check out www.shoforum.com and see for yourself.

i think if they did a new SHO it would best be suited with the yamaha 4.4 making 311 hp and 325 ft lbs on a AWD platforum because the taurus SHO isnt suposed to be a mustang but a all around fun car and with 311 hp it will keep up with a lot of top dogs of the road and the awd will make it fun in the twisties.

on top of all that the 3.5 or 3.7 TT that ford is using in the mark whatever they are up to now will more then likely not make it to a taurus because the price tag and warrenty would be crazy for a taurus and they really wouldnt hit the market they would be aiming for with taurus.

the volvo s80 and xc90 with all the options using the yamaha is far cheaper then a TT from the factory taurus would be. they arent worried about price on a car ford makes for luxury like the mark whatever.

just my thoughts :finger:

From what I recall reading on the forum previously, mostly related to the upcoming MKS, Ford dropped the Yamaha V8 because Yamaha was planning on raping Ford for the engine. Something about "fees" or something. So Ford could have put that in the Taurus SHO, you just would have had to pay $40k for the car. Something tells me that wasn't going to be a seller then.

Cheaper for Ford to build their own engine. Hopefully Ford is now learning this because of the diesel experiences. Considering Ford's global reach on their own engines, no need to outsource engines any longer...