For you 2008 Focus haters

igor

I know that we had this discussion about the hatches and wagons, and I am with those that don't want Ford to drop the hatches and/or wagons. But I was told that the sedans make up the vast majority of all Focus's sold. I cant argue with the actual numbers, but it seems to me that the majority of the Focus's I see are hatches.

I recently began to consider the fleet numbers, and I was surprised at the high numbers of Focus's that were being sold to fleet customers. That got me thinking that since you rarely see a hatch in a rental fleet, maybe the reason the numbers are so skewed towards the sedan are the number of fleet cars. Maybe the hatch is actually a better sale for Ford as it would go to a retail customer.

Of course this is all speculation as I haven't been able to find actual sales numbers per body style let alone body style to fleet vs retail

Interesting question. I think the hatch made up fewer than 15% of all focus sales, but I had never given thought to how many of those sedans end up in fleets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2002-2004 focus models score very well on reliablilty according to Consumer Reports.

As a company car last year, I had a brand new 2006 Focus and put a quick 30,000 miles on it. I was very impressed with it, and no problems whatsoever. Drove great and very roomy for such a small car and impressive list of features for such a cheap car. I was not used to having power windows, remote entry, and map lights as my previous company car Cavaliers never had this. Btw, the Focus got better fuel mileage than my previous Cavaliers and much better ride and quieter to boot. Only reason I don't have it anymore is because some old codger ran red light and tore off front bumper of Focus. Lucky he didn't T-bone me. Anyway, I have a 2004 Taurus as company car with over 70,000 miles and runs great. I would recommend the Focus to anyone as it's a fuel sipper, impressive handling, and rides great with excellent reliability and price.

Currently drive 2002 Taurus SES Sport,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

this heavy refresh is still way cheaper than developing a new platform and crash structure and powertrains.

HVAC, wind tunnel time, whatever, all good stuff, but certainly stuff like that is cheaper to do than the hard frame stuff.

And its not like you shouldn't be devoting engineering resources towards developing lighter and more efficient HVAC and stuff anyways. At least you should be, you in this case just just bundle the cost of that in the focus project.

I would guess Toyota is continually improving systems like that as a rule anyways.

The 08 Focus is an ok stopgap if the end result is global consolidation in 2011. In the meantime, if they simply improved reliability, mpg, crashworthiness, and features and value, then we can't complain much...even if 10 other small cars might be more desirable.

Dropping the hatches was a mistake IMHO, but I can see why they did. It seems like a 3 door hatch that could get 40/50 epa numbers like the old CRX would sell like hotcakes right now. Where was the development resources for that? Or a FOcus hybrid?

As it stands, the single biggest improvement Ford has on the table that could actually sell the car is FOrdSync. It better not be a bundled option and it better not be expensive. Using phones and iPods in your car might be what actually sways a buyer, especially a young tech oriented one.

rear DRUM brakes? geeeez.....

Edited by regfootball

As a company car last year, I had a brand new 2006 Focus and put a quick 30,000 miles on it. I was very impressed with it, and no problems whatsoever. Drove great and very roomy for such a small car and impressive list of features for such a cheap car. I was not used to having power windows, remote entry, and map lights as my previous company car Cavaliers never had this. Btw, the Focus got better fuel mileage than my previous Cavaliers and much better ride and quieter to boot. Only reason I don't have it anymore is because some old codger ran red light and tore off front bumper of Focus. Lucky he didn't T-bone me. Anyway, I have a 2004 Taurus as company car with over 70,000 miles and runs great. I would recommend the Focus to anyone as it's a fuel sipper, impressive handling, and rides great with excellent reliability and price.

Currently drive 2002 Taurus SES Sport,

Mike

Remember guys, the Focus is the only small car that you can get factory leather seating. None, and I repeat none of the others offer this feature. The dealers may do it for you, but that isn't factory. Is it?

BTW, I prefer to think of the Focus as an Inexpensive small car. NOT such a cheap car.