Four Door Ranger

GreyPony

I have been surfing the Ford world sites looking to see what is available to who. When going into the Mexican site, I noticed that you can purchase a 4 door Ranger there. Why isn't it available here? I'm not talking about the Super Cab but a real Crew Cab. We can't say that they have it because they don't have Sport Tracks because they have them too. I also noticed they sell the old F-150 and the new one "they call Lobo". There are also a few other models there that are pretty interesting. For example the Ford Ka, a European model, great on gas, would probably sell like hot cakes north of the border! Don't say that it's too small to sell here, we've got those friggin' Smart Cars buzzing all over the place. So, does Ford want to go bankrupt or am I just missing something here?

I have been surfing the Ford world sites looking to see what is available to who. When going into the Mexican site, I noticed that you can purchase a 4 door Ranger there. Why isn't it available here? I'm not talking about the Super Cab but a real Crew Cab. We can't say that they have it because they don't have Sport Tracks because they have them too. I also noticed they sell the old F-150 and the new one "they call Lobo". There are also a few other models there that are pretty interesting. For example the Ford Ka, a European model, great on gas, would probably sell like hot cakes north of the border! Don't say that it's too small to sell here, we've got those friggin' Smart Cars buzzing all over the place. So, does Ford want to go bankrupt or am I just missing something here?

Not trying to hijack your post, but (just curious) is it possible to purchase one of those and bring it here (to the US)?

I recall reading somewhere that it can be done (ie. perfectly legal for an individual); it just voids the warranty, correct?

Not trying to hijack your post, but (just curious) is it possible to purchase one of those and bring it here (to the US)?

I recall reading somewhere that it can be done (ie. perfectly legal for an individual); it just voids the warranty, correct?

The way our current disregard for border security is, you could probably fly down it and it bring it back in the county but only as long as you had 4 mexicans riding with you and a few more in the back.

• 3 months later...
The way our current disregard for border security is, you could probably fly down it and it bring it back in the county but only as long as you had 4 mexicans riding with you and a few more in the back.

That's not quite possible, but you can do a LOBO clone if you like. It's sort of a discount F-100 with some goodies added back in. Nothing fancy, just nice touches. Sort of like a Texas/Oklahoma Edition F-150.

Ka's don't crash well enough to come here, and I believe they have the wrong window glass. Maybe wrong about the glass.

• 7 months later...
Mexico four door Ranger LINK! Check this one out it's a Mexican update of the Ranchero on the market today. I've never seen it before!Ford Courier LINK! The transit is also currently for sale there!

These vehicles are LSD, I wounder what it would intail to import one here, what would be the import tax liability, can it be licsensed, and would Ford honor the warranty work? I would deffinatly buy one if there were no issues. If you click on the word "Galaria" on the tool bar on the right, then click on "Vist 360" it brings up a engine giving you a 360 degree veiw of the product including for the Courier truck I did not know existed!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Now tell me then, when they say there is no market for a vehicle or sales wouldn't justify building a vehicle, honestly, how many Four door Rangers do you think they sell in Mexico alone? WAY LESS than they would sell here! I have been looking at an F-150 but with gas hovering around $17 a gallon here "insert sarcasm", there is now way that I'm going to make the oil companies rich just so I can have a pick up truck. I had a Ranger but the fold down rear seats were too small for the kids. Now, if I could get my hands on a Crew Cab, it would be perfect.

As for the Courier, in my younger years, when I was a courier delivering packages, this vehicle would have been perfect. I never had more than 500 lbs of cargo at any given time. It was mostly letters, tubes and small boxes.

So the question is, is it because they can't bring them here or they just couldn't be bothered? :headscratch:

Now tell me then, when they say there is no market for a vehicle or sales wouldn't justify building a vehicle, honestly, how many Four door Rangers do you think they sell in Mexico alone? WAY LESS than they would sell here! I have been looking at an F-150 but with gas hovering around $17 a gallon here "insert sarcasm", there is now way that I'm going to make the oil companies rich just so I can have a pick up truck. I had a Ranger but the fold down rear seats were too small for the kids. Now, if I could get my hands on a Crew Cab, it would be perfect.

As for the Courier, in my younger years, when I was a courier delivering packages, this vehicle would have been perfect. I never had more than 500 lbs of cargo at any given time. It was mostly letters, tubes and small boxes.

So the question is, is it because they can't bring them here or they just couldn't be bothered? :headscratch:

This might be the plan, but at present it would not be a practical business move to undercut the Explorer's sales!

• 2 months later...

You are correct. The 4-door Ranger costs thousands $ less to produce than the $portTrak, but FORD made the decision to not sell both here as it would have deflated $portTrak sales.

Now I understand the Ranger will be discontinued soon and the Twin Cities plant in St. Paul, MN will be closed at the conclusion of the 2009 production run. Boo Hoo! :cry:

FORD has made very few updates to the Ranger in many years (NEGLECT). I suspect that any replacement for 2010 will be badged the F-100, based upon a stripped and/or downsized F-150 perhaps? The Ranger will live on in all of the other contries though as sales are good globally.

I'd like the cab from a Mexico spec 4-door Ranger.

I'm thinking that the Mexico 4-door quad cab will drop right onto a US 4-door Supercab chasis. If you live near the Mexico border and speak spanish well, then hop the border with a 2000+ Supercab less the bed, some US cash and buy what you need for the conversion down there. When it's completed and painted the same color as your truck was in a few days, drive back to the US with your VIN tags ALL in tact and new little 5' bed installed.

Make sure that you retain your US spec glass and doors with door braces (or weld them in). Your VIN will still match and the number of doors will not change. Any questions at the border? Then just show them the receipt for repairs when you were off-roading, rolled it over and squashed the cab on a big rock. That's my idea of an interesting Mexican vacation! I doubt the border patrol will give you any crap anyway. They are looking for smugglers and illegals.

Wow, welcome to yesterday.

First lets get the questions out of the way.

Ford choose not to bring the 4-door ranger to the US for two primary reasons. First it would require another frame length to be produced as there is not a long enough frame sitting around that could be used without modification. Second it would eat into sport-trek sales.

The older F-150 is sold down in mexico as an inexpensive model. Here in the US that truck would eat the lower end F-150 sales and would be cannon fodder for review publications as it does not measure up to the newer vibration and comfort standards we all are forced to hold as some sort of biblical measurement of a vehicles worth.

Third they would have to keep a production line open just to keep the F-150 running here in the US. All in all it would make for a bad business decision.

On the flipside.....

We have the F100 and the Bronco coming as a 2010 or 2011 vehicle, built on a narrowed version of the F150 frame. The sport-trek will be discontinued at that time.

We have a replacement ranger coming 2012 based on the T6 platform. All the rumors point to it being the same size as the current ranger.

Some other details that have slipped out is that is it Ford's goal to trim 2010 F150 weight by 500lbs compared to the 2008 model.

The F100 is supposed to be another 500lbs lighter than the F150.

The Upcoming Ranger will probably be 800lbs lighter than that, placing it somewhat at the identical weight it is currently.

For towing look for the 2013 line up to look something like this:

F150 11,500 lbs

F100 7,500 lbs

Ranger 5,500 lbs

Fuel milage will probably be something like this:

F150 with 6.2 ltr 380HP/400lb 17/22MPG with 3.7 ltr EC 320HP/330lb 19/23MPG with 4.4 ltr T 350HP/500lb 19/24MPG

F100 with 5.0 ltr 320HP/350lb 18/23 with 3.5 ltr EC 20/24

Ranger with 3.5 ltr 240HP/260lb 21/28MPG with 2.5 ltr or 2.0 EC 180HP/180lb 23/31MPG

Edited by Mackintire

The 4door apparently has very weak b-pillar and would have not passed US side-crash test. However, that could have probably been solved easily if there was a will to produce it - and as pointed out before - Ford wanted the Sport Track to keep those sales (Stupid).

That said - it is a very neat little truck.

Igor

Wow, welcome to yesterday.

First lets get the questions out of the way.

Ford choose not to bring the 4-door ranger to the US for two primary reasons. First it would require another frame length to be produced as there is not a long enough frame sitting around that could be used without modification. Second it would eat into sport-trek sales.

The older F-150 is sold down in mexico as an inexpensive model. Here in the US that truck would eat the lower end F-150 sales and would be cannon fodder for review publications as it does not measure up to the newer vibration and comfort standards we all are forced to hold as some sort of biblical measurement of a vehicles worth.

Third they would have to keep a production line open just to keep the F-150 running here in the US. All in all it would make for a bad business decision.

On the flipside.....

We have the F100 and the Bronco coming as a 2010 or 2011 vehicle, built on a narrowed version of the F150 frame. The sport-trek will be discontinued at that time.

We have a replacement ranger coming 2012 based on the T6 platform. All the rumors point to it being the same size as the current ranger.

Some other details that have slipped out is that is it Ford's goal to trim 2010 F150 weight by 500lbs compared to the 2008 model.

The F100 is supposed to be another 500lbs lighter than the F150.

The Upcoming Ranger will probably be 800lbs lighter than that, placing it somewhat at the identical weight it is currently.

For towing look for the 2013 line up to look something like this:

F150 11,500 lbs

F100 7,500 lbs

Ranger 5,500 lbs

Fuel milage will probably be something like this:

F150 with 6.2 ltr 380HP/400lb 17/22MPG with 3.7 ltr EC 320HP/330lb 19/23MPG with 4.4 ltr T 350HP/500lb 19/24MPG

F100 with 5.0 ltr 320HP/350lb 18/23 with 3.5 ltr EC 20/24

Ranger with 3.5 ltr 240HP/260lb 21/28MPG with 2.5 ltr or 2.0 EC 180HP/180lb 23/31MPG

the 6.2 is rumored to have 425 HP and 425 LBS or torque and the 6.2 will be able to tow ALOT more than 11,500 pounds. Why would ford have a F150, F100 and a Ranger at the same time?

the 6.2 is rumored to have 425 HP and 425 LBS or torque and the 6.2 will be able to tow ALOT more than 11,500 pounds. Why would ford have a F150, F100 and a Ranger at the same time?

Can and will are different things. The final tune for the engines are up in the air until Ford commits to official numbers. As for the F150 towing more than 11k. You can technically do anything, however since the 2012 F150 is going on a diet and is going to weigh less you can bet money that the tow rating is not going up much for the F150. Now it very likely will go up for the F250 and the F350. The point is the engine is not the limitation. The weight of the truck will become the limitation on how much you can tow "SAFELY".

It is assumed that the F100 will be available with everything from XL all the way to a platinum package. The F100 will not cost much less then the F150, but it will get substancially better fuel milage.

Substancially being in this case 2-3 mpg.

The Ranger replacement will be sustancially less expensive and smaller.

The brilliance of the F100 platform is that it is being built on the modular F150 production line. Ford can diversify the mix without retooling.

If sales for the F150 go down due to gas prices and the public decides that a smaller truck is a better choice, the F100 will already there to fill that gap. The current trend is to move towards smaller vehicles and Ford is not taking any chances.

Personally, I am saving up now to get in line for an F100. My ranger currently has 110k and although I could put a child safety seat in the front. I don't think my wife would enjoy the view from the jump seats in the rear.

The F150 is more truck then I need. My only resonable choices right now are the Sport trak, the frontier quad, and the tacoma quad.

All the above have some major flaw. I m waiting for someone to do midsize right and I 'm hoping the F100 is it.

As for your next question, yes I do use my truck. I just brought home 800lbs in concrete block from Home Depot this friday. I 'm working on another home improvement project for the wife. : )

Edited by Mackintire

Can and will are different things. The final tune for the engines are up in the air until Ford commits to official numbers. As for the F150 towing more than 11k. You can technically do anything, however since the 2012 F150 is going on a diet and is going to weigh less you can bet money that the tow rating is not going up much for the F150. Now it very likely will go up for the F250 and the F350. The point is the engine is not the limitation. The weight of the truck will become the limitation on how much you can tow "SAFELY".

It is assumed that the F100 will be available with everything from XL all the way to a platinum package. The F100 will not cost much less then the F150, but it will get substancially better fuel milage.

Substancially being in this case 2-3 mpg.

The Ranger replacement will be sustancially less expensive and smaller.

The brilliance of the F100 platform is that it is being built on the modular F150 production line. Ford can diversify the mix without retooling.

If sales for the F150 go down due to gas prices and the public decides that a smaller truck is a better choice, the F100 will already there to fill that gap. The current trend is to move towards smaller vehicles and Ford is not taking any chances.

Personally, I am saving up now to get in line for an F100. My ranger currently has 110k and although I could put a child safety seat in the front. I don't think my wife would enjoy the view from the jump seats in the rear.

The F150 is more truck then I need. My only resonable choices right now are the Sport trak, the frontier quad, and the tacoma quad.

All the above have some major flaw. I m waiting for someone to do midsize right and I 'm hoping the F100 is it.

As for your next question, yes I do use my truck. I just brought home 800lbs in concrete block from Home Depot this friday. I 'm working on another home improvement project for the wife. : )

I never asked you if you use your truck...

You might have to hold on to your Ranger for a while because it seems like Ford is moving pretty slow on announcing a Ranger replacement.