Breaking in the Engine...

Edgy Girl

In my experience, it's not *that* crucial to follow a break-in schedule. I was doing 0-60 runs in my Ranger the day I brought it home, and it's still going at 338,000 miles on the original motor. Painted a nice set of stripes in the parking lot behind work last night, too :D Just do what you usually do and it'll be fine.

Not trying to flame you, but why did it not occur to you to check the owner's manual? The answer is right there in the glovebox. It probably says to vary the engine RPM for the first few hundred miles - meaning don't put it on cruise on the interstate and leave it there for 2 hours.

It probably says to vary the engine RPM for the first few hundred miles - meaning don't put it on cruise on the interstate and leave it there for 2 hours.

Concur !

BTW, check the owners manual for oil change frequency. Ford now recommends 7500 mile (I forgot how many months) between oil changes. Personally, I recommend "name brand" full synthetics, like Mobil 1.

The "break-in" period for newer engines now is pretty much complete before the vehicle even reaches the showroom. About the only things that will require some input from the owner will be the driving habits that will be "learned" by these newfangled "smart" automatics. So in a lot of cases, babying it after purchase will be a BAD thing as the transmission picks up those babying habits in its shift patterns. Drive it like you stole it, I say!! :happy feet:

The "break-in" period for newer engines now is pretty much complete before the vehicle even reaches the showroom. About the only things that will require some input from the owner will be the driving habits that will be "learned" by these newfangled "smart" automatics. So in a lot of cases, babying it after purchase will be a BAD thing as the transmission picks up those babying habits in its shift patterns. Drive it like you stole it, I say!! :happy feet:

Actually most of the Ford trannies only learn shift pressures, not shift points. They compare the time required to complete a certain shift at a certain RPM with the factory spec and adjust the pressure if necessary to keep it within spec. This allows adjustment for manufacturing tolerances and for wear over the life of the transmission. I know this is true for the 5R55 trannies in the LS, Tbird and Explorers. Many people misinterpret this to mean that it adapts to the style of driving but it doesn't. I know the engineer who was in charge of the software for those trannies and that's how they work.

Some of the newer Ford trannies might have adaptive shift points but I doubt it.

Everyone has their own style and thoughts on "breaking in " a new car.

There is more to breaking in a new car then just the engine. All moving parts need some time to "seat" . How and when they do it varies.

My new car break-in method:

NOTE: It is best to do these procedures in the very early morning when it is cool outside and limited traffic.

1. Drive easy for the first 10-20 miles for the transmission and tires. Make sure everything feels right and sounds good.

2. Take the car to a parking lot or rural road. Get up to 50 MPH and hit your brakes hard, BUT DO NOT STOP!! Repeat this step 5 - 8 times, BUT DO NOT STOP THE CAR!! This allows the brakes to seat firmly and rotors to cool.

3. After 50 miles on the car and for the next 200 miles.... I run the hell out of the engine. I do not however, wide open throttle (floor it) from a stop. At each 5MPH increments, I will WOT the engine. This will allow the engine to rev up to its max RPM. At higher speeds, the transmission will learn to downshift from each gear.

NEVER PARK YOUR CAR WITH THE ENGINE OR BRAKES HOT!!!!!!!! After each hard run, drive around a few miles and let it cool off.

Enjoy the new car.

Edited by mettech

• 3 months later...

Not the OP, but I never found this info in my manuals.

-Larry

Not trying to flame you, but why did it not occur to you to check the owner's manual? The answer is right there in the glovebox. It probably says to vary the engine RPM for the first few hundred miles - meaning don't put it on cruise on the interstate and leave it there for 2 hours.

I do what the manual says, but in cases like this where it doesn't, I just drive it normally and don't think about it. I do try to avoid matting the pedal for the first 1000 miles though.

As far as servicing, my car goes to the dealer for service every 3 months regardless of the mileage. It's usually under 1000 miles between visits.

I mainly take it in because:

1. My dealer does a kick-ass hand wash/wax/interior for $39.

2. They give me a loaner for free.

3. While it's in there, for $20 may as well just get the oil changed.

4. Any other items it needs, such as emissions inspection, state inspection, etc...

So it's main reason for the visit is the kick-ass hand wash/wax, and the other stuff just comes along for the ride.

If I'm not mistaken, Ford Dealers use Ford Oil which is a semi-synthetic.

I also like to change the oil on any new car at 1000 miles to let it drain out any manufacturing nibblets that may be in there or develop along the way.

-Larry

Not the OP, but I never found this info in my manuals.

-Larry

You must have stopped reading on page 4. This is from page 5 of the Edge owner's manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive

continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of

new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a

trailer. Additionally, during the first 500 miles (800 km) that you tow a

trailer, do not drive over 70 mph (112 km/h) and do not make starts at

full throttle. This style of driving will help the engine and other parts of

your vehicle break in at the heavier loads. For more detailed information

about towing a trailer, refer to Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and

Loading chapter.