No Explorer For 2010 Model Year?

With many companies phasing out truck-based midsize SUVs, similar to what Mitsubishi did with their Montero and what Chevrolet/GMC/Buick is doing with the TrailBlazer/Envoy/Rainier, will Ford kill the Explorer & Mountaineer? I would expect the next Mountaineer as a rebadged Ford Territory from Australia, and the Explorer will be killed for good. The Explorer Sport Trac will either be retained or killed. With Explorer-sized crossovers such as the Taurus X & Flex, there is no longer a role for the Explorer. 2009 would be the last model year for the Explorer & current Mountaineer, as Ford intends to redesign the Ranger and move production to Louisville for the 2010 model year.

you should read around.

there will be a unitbody Explorer for 2010 .. based on the D3 platform. Not sure about the Mountaineer.

The Sport Track will either move with it to the unitbody, or become pal with the new F100 truck being developed on the F150 frame.

Igor

you should read around.

there will be a unitbody Explorer for 2010 .. based on the D3 platform. Not sure about the Mountaineer.

The Sport Track will either move with it to the unitbody, or become pal with the new F100 truck being developed on the F150 frame.

Igor

At least Ford will skip the 2010 model year for the Explorer, move production to Chicago for 2011, kill the Taurus X and retool Louisville for Ranger production. Thing though is, the redesigned unibody Explorer will STILL slot below the Flex.

At least Ford will skip the 2010 model year for the Explorer, move production to Chicago for 2011, kill the Taurus X and retool Louisville for Ranger production. Thing though is, the redesigned unibody Explorer will STILL slot below the Flex.

Or as I say, what if the Ranger moves to Wayne, Michigan, where it will phase out Focus hatchback & wagon production? The Focus for '08 will return with only a sedan & coupe.

How many D3 crossovers does Ford need????????????????????

A goofy looking FWD Explorer is not an Explorer, that will be the death of it..

You know that, and I know that, but.....

The whole crossover thing is so overrated anyway, I see more new Tahoes etc. on the roads here than Freestyles and Escapes, $3.00 a gallon gas or not.

How many D3 crossovers does Ford need????????????????????

A goofy looking FWD Explorer is not an Explorer, that will be the death of it..

Who said anything about goofy looking FWD Explorer? The next gen of D3 is supposed to be able to accomodate a strictly RWD layout and longitudinal engine arrangement. Look at how unsimilar the Taurus and Flex are in both shape and proportion to see what kind of flexibility the D3 platform has. It will likely be even more flexible in its second generation. If Ford moves the Explorer to D3, I'm expecting something much more Acadia-like than Taurus X-like. Also keep in mind that tried-and-true SUV's like the Grand Cherokee and all recent Land Rovers have done just fine on unit body architecture.

Ford needs to keep a RWD Explorer that is truly off road capable. Their are those of us who need it, and will buy it regardless of gas prices at $3.00. I take my Explorer places that would destroy a CUV.

unfortunately not 15k of you buys new explorers every month .. and that is the problem ... and if all else fail - 4runner will still be available :D PS: would you NOT buy a Cherokee because it is Unitbody?

I am not sure about this move by Ford, but it could be interesting ... I guess we will have to wait and see.

Igor

Or as I say, what if the Ranger moves to Wayne, Michigan, where it will phase out Focus hatchback & wagon production? The Focus for '08 will return with only a sedan & coupe.

Are you a moron?

Anyways...the leading rumors for the Explorer and Ranger are this:

Ranger goes away sometime next year with Twin Cities shutting down and gets moved to Dearborn Truck to be built alongside the F-150..which has been the rumor for Years now. It might become the F-100 on a simplified/lightened F-150 frame.

I seriously doubt the Explorer is going any place with the current leadership..it has excellent name recognition, but right now its irreliventiant with the current car buying public due to the waning popularity of SUVs and gas prices. It would nice to see Ford do something BOLD with it..

Are you a moron?

Anyways...the leading rumors for the Explorer and Ranger are this:

Ranger goes away sometime next year with Twin Cities shutting down and gets moved to Dearborn Truck to be built alongside the F-150..which has been the rumor for Years now. It might become the F-100 on a simplified/lightened F-150 frame.

I guess that means this potential F-100 will be about the size of a 1996 F-150? :hysterical:

Geez, if Ford does go with a CUV for the Explorer, what will be the tow rating? 3500 lbs? I bought the V8 Mountaineer so that I can pull twice that much.

Yeesh. How many times does it need to be said? Unit body Grand Cherokee can tow up to 7200 lbs already, only 300 lb less than the current Explorer. Unit body doesn't mean the end to towing capacity.

Someone here commented that there are plenty of odd shaped CUV Explorer wannabees, but it's not the authentic thing.

As one who has driven Explorers since 1991, I agree. There is only one Explorer but there are many Edge/Murano/GMC whatever it's calleds.

Edited by Daryll40

• 4 months later...

With Chrysler talking about cutting vehicles out of the line-up...I'd hate to see Ford in the same shape with a ton of CUV-SUVs. Yet with a new Explorer coming, that would make the Edge, Flex, Free Style, Explorer, etc. all on the showroom floor. Sounds like something has got-to-go.

Plus, wouldn't that mean the Explorer is now banished to 4 and 6 cyl. land? Twinforce stuff sounds nice, but the Boss/Hurricane line-up would've been nice in the Explorer also...oh well...the Lambda platform and the 3.6L is doing well for GM.

• 5 weeks later...