GM Medium truck to Navistar

Well with all the hype about GM selling the medium truck business to Navistar, what does this mean to the Power Stroke fiasco and the Bluediamond JV? Once again deals like this only make sense if a lot of the cost gets taken out of the picture. That means you get rid of GM's manufacturing plant (Flint?) and run the volume through Navistars structure (Springfield?) and/or you also get rid of a lot of the marketing expense.

When you start screwing around with marketing expense, then you are messing with dealer organizations and isn't that what led to the bastardized "WhiteGMC" when Gm sold out the class 8's?

Ford is the commercial truck sales leader- (class4-7). I would think this forces the issue and they really get serious and remain a player- Bluediamond or not- or they fold their tent like they did with the class 8 business. It's so easy to say...."It's not our core business".

As 650/750 sales seem to be holding their own in a lousy market and as I think a lot of customers prefer to have one brand in their fleet, I hope the feeling is that Ford will be a survivor in class4-7 market--bring the 650/750 back to KTP! With the GM dealer organization out of the picture,this should present a good opportunity for Ford to boost market share.

Bob, we can only dream! I saw a headline, but didn't get to read the article. Will the GM brand still exist? How does this affect the Isuzu tie-up? I think Ford should team up with Volvo TRUCK and kick Daimler's butt! My guess is that Ford will follow GM like they do in almost every instance and sell off the truck unit. It's dumb, but that's what Ford's been lately.......dumb! I'm not sure if these are revenue or profit figures, but in the first quarter an article stated Daimler had $715 million in trucks and $2.5 billion in vans and buses. Not shabby. I still want to see an updated enclosed 4-door C-series fire apparatus cab/chassis! By the way, I'm seeing a lot of heavy uses in truck magazines showing 18-ton cranes and 2000 gal fire tankers on F750 chassis.

Bob, we can only dream! I saw a headline, but didn't get to read the article. Will the GM brand still exist? How does this affect the Isuzu tie-up? I think Ford should team up with Volvo TRUCK and kick Daimler's butt! My guess is that Ford will follow GM like they do in almost every instance and sell off the truck unit. It's dumb, but that's what Ford's been lately.......dumb! I'm not sure if these are revenue or profit figures, but in the first quarter an article stated Daimler had $715 million in trucks and $2.5 billion in vans and buses. Not shabby. I still want to see an updated enclosed 4-door C-series fire apparatus cab/chassis! By the way, I'm seeing a lot of heavy uses in truck magazines showing 18-ton cranes and 2000 gal fire tankers on F750 chassis.

Joe- 10-4 on the cranes- also mechanic service trucks. Where are you seeing the fire service trucks? On a mfg website?

Doesn't Blue Diamond build the F-650/F-750 in Mexico? I'm curious how this will work out along with the Power Stroke fiasco. Isn't Navistar still the Medium Duty truck leader?

Yes- Escobedo Mexico. And correct Navistar is the leader class 6 and 7. If you count class 4- 7, its Ford by a big margin

I wonder how the DCX breakup will affect the Sterling Class 3 thru 5 program since it used the Dodge cab/chassis. And will there still be Dodge Sprinters?

Joe, I would bet nothing changes- just another business deal- more volume for Dodge, something else for the Sterlig dealers to sell

yeah im not sure why the F-series isn't powered by VOLVO instead of navistar giving them problems

i like the sound of it VOLVO TURBO DIESEL

Well for a short term plan 18-24 months, there is no use in trying to develop a 2010 diesel, there is no business case. Much better to let someone else perfect the SCR technology and HCCI, and THEN make your own... I mean, for real.

I wonder how the DCX breakup will affect the Sterling Class 3 thru 5 program since it used the Dodge cab/chassis. And will there still be Dodge Sprinters?

Trust me on this one, man, and I mean TRUST ME, Chrysler will have NO problems from Freightliner selling any to do with Sprinter vans. Freightliner is hurting for business until the 2009 rush to get pre-2010 emissions trucks, so Dodge Sprinters will be sitting pretty and ready to ship.

As for the rest of that, Western Star, Sterling, AND Freightliner will continue to develop ways to increase market share in the under class 8 market, fuel economy, these days, IS a business case...

After 2010 though, all bets are off, that's when concurrent engineering becomes "dead in the water"...