I wish they still made these cars

ExIntegra

After 7+ years and ~70,000 miles with my 1999 SVT Cobra convertible, all I can say is I wish I could buy another one.

The new GT500 looks great, but having a lightweight aluminum engine (to give a balanced F/R weight distribution) and an independent rear suspension are real features to me - and they're no longer available.

The biggest surprise about this car has been that it's the most reliable and trouble free car I've ever owned. At just under 70k miles I've replace the rear brake pads once, changed the oil ~ twice a year and changed the tires about every 18 months.

That's it. Period.

Still have the original front pads, original exhaust, original clutch, original convertible top (it goes up and down ~250 times per year).

I'm probably close to needing front brakes and the drip tray under the back window now has some water in it after a heavy rain, so that may be nearly it's time, too, but that's it.

I had a door handle and ground strap tightened under warranty the first year I had the car, and the HP "fix" was done, too. Those have been the trips to the dealer.

All this, 0-60 in ~5 seconds and 28 mpg on the highway.

What a car!

It's getting kind of old, and I work 12 hour days and just don't have time to deal with an old car (and I'm sure this is getting to that point). It's going to have to start needing some maintenance, with all the hassle that implies, at this point in its "life." I wish I could just buy another one.

Edited by ExIntegra

Sounds like time for an 04 Terminator.

That's what I did. My '99 gave me about 95,000 fairly trouble free miles (not counting the FIX). I miss the way this Website was back in '99, etc., with eveyone posting threads about the fix, vibe, etc.

That's what I did. My '99 gave me about 95,000 fairly trouble free miles (not counting the FIX). I miss the way this Website was back in '99, etc., with eveyone posting threads about the fix, vibe, etc.

Biggest problem is trying to find an 03/04 thats in good shape or unmolested. I havent hit 10k miles on my 03 yet, and its WAAAY beyond mildly modified. Most of the local svt club members with terminators also have a decent amount of mods and now that their warranties are expiring it will be even harder to find a realatively unmodified one.

Biggest problem is trying to find an 03/04 thats in good shape or unmolested. I havent hit 10k miles on my 03 yet, and its WAAAY beyond mildly modified. Most of the local svt club members with terminators also have a decent amount of mods and now that their warranties are expiring it will be even harder to find a realatively unmodified one.

In May 2006, I found a stock '04 Cobra with 12,000 miles. I found it on the Auto Trader Website. The car was in Phoenix.

In May 2006, I found a stock '04 Cobra with 12,000 miles. I found it on the Auto Trader Website. The car was in Phoenix.
But its a year later now and most if not all warranties are done so people are more inclined to mod them. Not saying they cant be found, its just going to get harder every day.

After 7+ years and ~70,000 miles with my 1999 SVT Cobra convertible, all I can say is I wish I could buy another one.

The new GT500 looks great, but having a lightweight aluminum engine (to give a balanced F/R weight distribution) and an independent rear suspension are real features to me - and they're no longer available.

The biggest surprise about this car has been that it's the most reliable and trouble free car I've ever owned. At just under 70k miles I've replace the rear brake pads once, changed the oil ~ twice a year and changed the tires about every 18 months.

That's it. Period.

Still have the original front pads, original exhaust, original clutch, original convertible top (it goes up and down ~250 times per year).

I'm probably close to needing front brakes and the drip tray under the back window now has some water in it after a heavy rain, so that may be nearly it's time, too, but that's it.

I had a door handle and ground strap tightened under warranty the first year I had the car, and the HP "fix" was done, too. Those have been the trips to the dealer.

What a car!

It's getting kind of old, and I work 12 hour days and just don't have time to deal with an old car (and I'm sure this is getting to that point). It's going to have to start needing some maintenance, with all the hassle that implies, at this point in its "life." I wish I could just buy another one.

Checkout Cars.com,

You can buy my 01 Zinc Yellow Coupe............

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto for me on both. I didn't think I could enjoy a car more than I did my 99. But I do, I love my Terminator, just being in it makes me smile (even on really bad days). I think I gonna keep this car til I die.

I miss the old days too. Everyone ranting about the missing hp, the fix, and wheel hop. I think the unique circumstances/problems with the 99 Cobra gave all of us a common thread with which to create a very special bond between us. Even though I never personally met any of the other members, I really felt like I knew them and they were my friends. There are other message boards that I post on, but it's not the same -- I don't know how to explain it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing fine. Robyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's it. Period.

What a car!

I own a 2003 SVT Cobra (13K miles) and a Shelby GT500 07. I like the 03 since the suspension handles much better and Ford did the 07 too cheap. No vanity lights on mirrors, no folding side mirrors, bad ergonomics (power lock location). no luggage release from the car and no IRS suspension.

The 07 is very scary at high speed specially if the road is not even or construction joints. The rear jumps sideways (tire have the correct pressure). On turns the 07 needs the surface to be very even otherwise you will not know where the car will go. The power is very close to the 03. With the K&N filter the 07 it comes alive.

The good side of the 07 is comfort. The clutch is soft, it shift better, the seats are softer and you do not need to be in good shape to fit in them. It is wider and the truck is larger. The fuel economy on the 07 is better than the 03. The rear seat my daughter does not like both cars and she is small (12 yr) The 07 is red with white stripe which makes a 03 dark gray dull. Ford should have done a better job on its premier 2007 sports car since it is the only one.

I think the 07 will be my last Mustang. The over list price cost gave me a bad taste and I thing that in the next couple of years we will going to economy like in the 70. Besides I am getting to old for getting in and out of a Mustang.

I have own a 96 and 99 SVT Cobra. I have only taken the 99 for the fix to a Ford Dealer. All were sold at 13K miles.

I also own an ERA 427 Cobra, a ERA GT40 in Gulf trim and part owner of J-10 (Ford GT Mark IV with a 427)

• 11 months later...

I don't believe in paying for a name like Shelby. It is great to see Shelby and Ford back together but it wrecked what was the SVT Cobra. I believe in the coming years the people that have the Shelby cars will suffer in value. People put these cars away in hopes for one day to get the price for there Shelby that the cars from the 60's are going for today. I think Ford cut itself off with this new Cobra from the average Joe. That is what I miss the most about the 03-04 Cobra and 99 and 01 Cobra any one could buy these cars. To boot the people that bought these cars appreciated what they were worth and they did not have to refinance their home to buy one. Keep the cars that you have boys because the days that we once knew are gone. That is what makes these cars true collectors in my eyes.

I sometimes wish I had gone ahead and sold my 99 and bought a Competition Orange 04 Cobra but I had just paid the 99 off and needed a truck. 9 years later, I'm still modifying the 99 (I guess you never really stop tinkering with a toy). I just added some deep dish Black Bullitts 18x9/18x10 and look forward next spring to finally getting rid of the crappy factory front seats for some Cobra Daytona's. Hopefully doing that and adding an intercooler will be the last big project I do to it... hopefully. :)

BlackBullitts1copy1.jpg

I sometimes wish I had gone ahead and sold my 99 and bought a Competition Orange 04 Cobra but I had just paid the 99 off and needed a truck. 9 years later, I'm still modifying the 99 (I guess you never really stop tinkering with a toy). I just added some deep dish Black Bullitts 18x9/18x10 and look forward next spring to finally getting rid of the crappy factory front seats for some Cobra Daytona's. Hopefully doing that and adding an intercooler will be the last big project I do to it... hopefully. :)

BlackBullitts1copy1.jpg

You are one of the few '99 Cobra owners from the "fix" era that still has his. I can tell you that with my '04 Cobra I don't miss my '99.

• 2 weeks later...