This is a problem

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthrea...247#post2637247 This guy works for a dealership, his pictures are being posted all over the net. I found this on an RV forum. It doesn't explain how the truck got to this condtion or what the problem is, it sure has the RV forum talking about buying other brands if they have to pull the cabs off to do engine work. This is part of the problem with Ford's reputation, I thought some of the dealers would be a little loyal to the hand that feeds them. I guess not. I think the boss needs to look at the dealers a little closer, seems they still are causing a few problems.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthrea...247#post2637247 This guy works for a dealership, his pictures are being posted all over the net. I found this on an RV forum. It doesn't explain how the truck got to this condtion or what the problem is, it sure has the RV forum talking about buying other brands if they have to pull the cabs off to do engine work. This is part of the problem with Ford's reputation, I thought some of the dealers would be a little loyal to the hand that feeds them. I guess not. I think the boss needs to look at the dealers a little closer, seems they still are causing a few problems.

I know some folks who work the technician hotlines at Ford after many years as techs in the field themselves.

Pulling the cab, although almost never the "recommended" methodology, is sometimes easier/quicker on several different trucks.

I've watched them "deck" the Econoline body on to the frame. There are less than 12 bolts that hold it on ! If I had to swap an engine on an E-Series and I had access to the lift, the body would come off !

So what's the problem ?

Showing this to potential buyers who are not aware that this procedure is easier and quicker fix are stating that this is not the kind of problem they want with their new truck. That Ford has built another truck that the techs are going to have problems fixing just like the 6.0. That is the problem, The truck is getting a bad rep. for no reason. Some people will look for anything just to slam Ford and their products. All it takes is a little seed of doubt and you have lost a customer.

Interesting that the pics were posted at F150 Online. The biggest cheerleaders for F-Series on the Net. That kind of makes your agument lose steam. That site has probably sold more trucks for Ford than J Walter Thompson.

Now the argument of pulling the cab... have you ever looked under the hood of a compact car? You have to remove the top half of the engine to get to anything below. Christ... its a medium duty truck. An F350 DRW with a BUS engine in it towing 20,000# and people expect it to be servicable like a passenger car?

Interesting that the pics were posted at F150 Online. The biggest cheerleaders for F-Series on the Net. That kind of makes your agument lose steam. That site has probably sold more trucks for Ford than J Walter Thompson.

Now the argument of pulling the cab... have you ever looked under the hood of a compact car? You have to remove the top half of the engine to get to anything below. Christ... its a medium duty truck. An F350 DRW with a BUS engine in it towing 20,000# and people expect it to be servicable like a passenger car?

I guess the only counter-argument I can think of is do Ford's competition (GM and Dodge) require the same taking off the body to get at the engine? If not then I can see how maybe it would lead people to look elsewhere. Heck, considering the relationship between Ford and Navistar and the recent issues with the Navistar engines that might be reason enough to look elsewhere.

The point I was trying to make was that alot of these trucks are pulling fifth-wheels. These trailers are getting bigger and heavier which makes Ford trucks a perfect fit. Some of these people know a little bit about trucks most do not, they just want the newest, biggest, best truck on the market. When the 08 was about to hit the market the forum was busy, who was going to be the first, what options, money did not matter, these people are retired and live in these trailers on the road. They do not want a truck that is not going to be reliable, cross country is their way of life, not sitting and waiting for a truck to be repaired. So showing constant photos, web links of Ford trucks with possible problems, especially from Ford dealers, is not very appealing to a potential customer. You may be able to overlook this, a 60-70 year old retired couple traveling will not, I don't care how brand loyal you are, that is my point. I am not trying to start any trouble just trying to point out this is part of the problem. Word of mouth can be your worst enemy if it is not in your favor, and it is not fully explained.

The point I was trying to make was that alot of these trucks are pulling fifth-wheels. These trailers are getting bigger and heavier which makes Ford trucks a perfect fit. Some of these people know a little bit about trucks most do not, they just want the newest, biggest, best truck on the market. When the 08 was about to hit the market the forum was busy, who was going to be the first, what options, money did not matter, these people are retired and live in these trailers on the road. They do not want a truck that is not going to be reliable, cross country is their way of life, not sitting and waiting for a truck to be repaired. So showing constant photos, web links of Ford trucks with possible problems, especially from Ford dealers, is not very appealing to a potential customer. You may be able to overlook this, a 60-70 year old retired couple traveling will not, I don't care how brand loyal you are, that is my point. I am not trying to start any trouble just trying to point out this is part of the problem. Word of mouth can be your worst enemy if it is not in your favor, and it is not fully explained.

I see your point.

But if cab-pulling is the cost of getting the "newest, biggest, best" truck, then its a trade off.

talking to the heavy line guys here this is actually a design feature to access the engine easier, that and the removable front crossmember enable and speed up either lifting the cab or dropping the engine....so i would say it is actually a GOOD thing....a LOT of vehicles need their engines dropped for routine work....look at a Porsche.....

He has removed his pictures and comments from the forum. His comments about the truck and the process of removing the cab for a fuel pump replacement is what got me. All he needed to do was explain that with experience the process should take less time and that all repairs did not need cab removal. I agree with your comments, I just get tired of the negatives from the people who just want to slam these trucks just for kicks.