Will the Tranformers Movie Help or Hurt Ford

Last night a group of us went and saw the Transformers movie. With respect to the movie itself let me just say wow!! Remember how much you enjoyed Armageddon even though it was so obviously full of crap? Well it's like that level of entertainment only with fight scenes that make the best superhero movie look tame by comparison. Really great visual effects, a must see on the big screen to appreciate it. Also let me just add that the little Megan Fox girl is quite the hotness.

Anyway, the whole thing seemed like a GM rolling brochure of coolness. lol You had the concept yellow Camaro, a hard top Solstice, a really cool GM pickup and a number of other GM vehicles. The one and only Ford was an S281 Mustang and I'm sure that's been discussed here. Let me just say that everyone knows I'm not crazy about the current body style Mustang but as a cop car it looked pretty cool with the push bar and all. But it was the bad guy!!! In fact of all the bad guys in the film the only really recognizeable one was the Mustang. The others were sort of odd type vehicles that are not your everyday transporation like a tank, a funny looking utility truck and of course a jet. So, does anyone think there is the possibility that this could hurt sales of the Mustang or heck maybe it could help Mustang sales which have started to slump of late. Maybe it will attract all the guys that see themselves the "bad boy" sort. They say there's no such thing as bad press. What do you guys think, do movies like this help or hurt sales? Last night when they rolled out that Camaro concept it recieved quite the chorus of "that's bad ass" and so on from plenty of guys in the audience. Certainly the Smokey and the Bandit movies helped the Firebird. They left the movie wide open for a sequal so perhaps we will see more Ford cars in the next movie. Maybe Ford was just waiting to see how this one would be recieved, who knows.

I don't think it'll matter. The only two vehicles anyone will recognize in the film are the Camaro and the Saleen Mustang. And of those two, you can only purchase one. By the time GM starts actually making a Camaro, it'll be too late.

And I think only car buffs actually know or actually care what vehicles were used. The rest will think it's cool and forget about it in a month when the movie sales drop off.

I'm sure you've put your Shrek and Pirates of the Caribbean outfits back in your closet by now, Blackhorse. :-)

Certainly the Smokey and the Bandit movies helped the Firebird.

The Trans Am was already available at your local Pontiac dealer when the movie debuted. Same with the Dodge Charger and Ford Mustang in Bullitt. I haven't even seen a spy photo of an actual Camaro prototype.

Yeah, good points about the Camaro. However, we all know it's more a matter of when not if for that car. Chevrolet has announced it's going to happen in 2009, probably showing up late next year. With respect to spy shots, heck I've yet to see a spy shot of the new Mazda 6 and it should be hitting lots in what 3 to 5 months at the latest?

jdp80, sorry, wasn't me at the motel buddy. I only do the spider man gag at the motel. lol