Navigator w/ suicide doors

rmc523

I don't know if this topic would be more appropriate in the photochops section, but would it be possible to put suicide doors (keeping the B-pillar and the doors would be able to open independently) on the Navigator?

I would think it could allow for easier ingress/egress from the 2nd/3rd rows.

What do you all think?

post-28332-1185343684_thumb.jpg

Possible, but probably would alienate the market. IIRC the Conti concept in 2002 was based on the panther because suicide doors aren't possible on a unibody due to safety and the structure I think.

I don't think the Navi is the vehicle for the suicide doors.

Eh, the Element is unit body and has suicide-type doors. I'm sure it could be done if they engineered the platform from scratch with them in mind. Only major downside to suicide doors -- they are entirely impractical to use to get out/in when in a parking space.

Ah, the Navigator. To me, suicide doors seem like a losing proposition. They're certainly possible to engineer into the design, but the result is a horribly floppy chassis. The Element and original Continental suffer from body flex more extreme than a Tijuana stripper, not to mention TERRIBLE crash test results, since there's no B-pillar to brace against the hit. My 1996 Thunderbird has the same problem of a large space between the two pillars on the side, which is solved with a gigantic steel beam in my door, weighing the thing down and making opening and closing difficult.

The money spent on suicide doors would be better spent elsewhere:

-Front end redesign: thoroughly blinged out, but still unsightly. Needs some cosmetic work.

-Boss engine: Can't get here soon enough to put the Escalade on the trailer

-22" optional rims

-Optional LCD gauge cluster

Wh would engineer a platform from scratch for that? When you think about it's not even worth it.

Well, I'm not saying design a platform for it specifically, but the need for more side rigidity could be built-in to an existing next-gen chassis with the idea of suicide doors in mind. I don't really see the point either, but that would be the way to do it.

Ah, the Navigator. To me, suicide doors seem like a losing proposition. They're certainly possible to engineer into the design, but the result is a horribly floppy chassis. The Element and original Continental suffer from body flex more extreme than a Tijuana stripper, not to mention TERRIBLE crash test results, since there's no B-pillar to brace against the hit. My 1996 Thunderbird has the same problem of a large space between the two pillars on the side, which is solved with a gigantic steel beam in my door, weighing the thing down and making opening and closing difficult.

-Optional LCD gauge cluster

Thats why I said to keep the b-pillar.

The gauge cluster on the 03-06 was LCD, why'd they go away from that. I read a review of the (07)Navi the other day and it was criticized for not having an LCD type display like competitors did

Considering what a big huge hulking vehicle the Navi is, I wouldn't be too worried about the absense of the "B" Pillar...the majority of the vehicles that will hit it, will probably blow up in the process. Although you COULD create suicide doors, while retaining the B-pillar. I dont think Fords efforts should be used on this, on a vehicle that is losing popularity by consumer tastes and high fuel.

What you WILL see is more Flex-like crossovers, classified as "light trucks" to increase their CAFE score. Thats where Ford is likely to focus their resources.

Considering what a big huge hulking vehicle the Navi is, I wouldn't be too worried about the absense of the "B" Pillar...the majority of the vehicles that will hit it, will probably blow up in the process. Although you COULD create suicide doors, while retaining the B-pillar. I dont think Fords efforts should be used on this, on a vehicle that is losing popularity by consumer tastes and high fuel.

What you WILL see is more Flex-like crossovers, classified as "light trucks" to increase their CAFE score. Thats where Ford is likely to focus their resources.

I know they wouldn't do it, I just thought it might be an interesting idea and wanted to see what you all thought

Edited by rmc523