Spy Shots: Hyundai's RWD Coupe

Ovaltine

bk11_131.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/01/spy-sho...h-valley-u-s-a/

Hyundai has just confirmed that the successor to the Tiburon will be a rear-wheel-drive coupe, so we can now stop the speculation that the prototype seen in spy shots for the past few months is a new model completely unrelated to the next-gen Tib. While the Tibby was a fine looking coupe, its appearance couldn't change the fact that it was wrong-wheel-drive. The new car will be a proper rear-wheel-drive coupe, and as these new spy shots reveal, it's closer to production than we think. Hyundai states it could appear as soon as late 2008 or early 2009, in fact.

KGP Photography caught the new RWD Tiburon testing in Death Valley, U.S.A., and while most of the design's details are shrouded by covers, the general silhouette of the new car is true to the shape of the current car. It looks larger in all dimensions, particularly width, and the tires are fatter than anything found on a current Hyundai car. We also dig some upscale touches spotted like the turn signals mounted on the side-view mirrors and the projector beam lamps.

Since we know the new Tiburon will share its RWD platform with the upcoming Genesis luxury sedan, we can also assume that the coupe will at least be offered with a V8 like its four-door brother. Further evidence to support this assumption is the fact that KGP spotted a Ford Mustang in the Hyundai prototype's caravan, no doubt along for the ride as a benchmark.

-Ovaltine

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sort of ignorance is what has the domestics freefalling out of the market, good thing they don't have people with your mindset running the companies anymore.

Ignorance? You don't have a fucking clue what I know about Hyundai's you jackass. I have very personal experience with Hyundai's. My wife had one and it was the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN! We couldn't get rid of that car fast enough! The mere mention of the name Hyundai will send my wife into seizures. If Hyundai were the last fucking car company in the world, I'd walk or ride a bike before I'd buy another one. So when I dismiss it as "just a Hyundai", there's plenty of very, very bad experiences backing it up. So exactly what personal experiences do you have with Hyundai's that gives you the authority to call me "ignorant"?

Edited by TomServo92

Ignorance? You don't have a fucking clue what I know about Hyundai's you jackass. I have very personal experience with Hyundai's. My wife had one and it was the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN! We couldn't get rid of that car fast enough! The mere mention of the name Hyundai will send my wife into seizures. If Hyundai were the last fucking car company in the world, I'd walk or ride a bike before I'd buy another one. So when I dismiss it as "just a Hyundai", there's plenty of very, very bad experiences backing it up. So exactly what personal experiences do you have with Hyundai's that gives you the authority to call me "ignorant"?

I'll take this one, because there's all kinds of ignorance pouring out of this post. First, it's ignorant to assume that just because your wife got a bad hyundai that by extension all hyundai's are junk. Second, it's ignorant to assume that hyundai has not made dramatic improvements in their vehicle quality in recent years. They have. Third, it's ignorant to assume that just because you have a great disdain for Hyundai that again by exention all consumers will.

Finally let me just say that I am by no means a DiCK fan but in this case he happens to be right. The sort of smug, arrogant disregard that you display for the car simply because it is a Hyundai is the very attitude that has landed domestic automakers in the trouble they are now in. By that same token, how often do we see it posted around here that a big part of the reason Ford is not selling well right now is because of the blue oval on the car? I see a comment like that posted at least once or twice a week around here. Hence by logical extension we can deduce that a big part of Fords problem is that "It's still a Ford."

Do not underestimate Hyundai, they are one of the best buys for the money on the market right now. You would be foolish to assume otherwise.

I'll take this one, because there's all kinds of ignorance pouring out of this post. First, it's ignorant to assume that just because your wife got a bad hyundai that by extension all hyundai's are junk. Second, it's ignorant to assume that hyundai has not made dramatic improvements in their vehicle quality in recent years. They have. Third, it's ignorant to assume that just because you have a great disdain for Hyundai that again by exention all consumers will.

Finally let me just say that I am by no means a DiCK fan but in this case he happens to be right. The sort of smug, arrogant disregard that you display for the car simply because it is a Hyundai is the very attitude that has landed domestic automakers in the trouble they are now in. By that same token, how often do we see it posted around here that a big part of the reason Ford is not selling well right now is because of the blue oval on the car? I see a comment like that posted at least once or twice a week around here. Hence by logical extension we can deduce that a big part of Fords problem is that "It's still a Ford."

Do not underestimate Hyundai, they are one of the best buys for the money on the market right now. You would be foolish to assume otherwise.

Good post BH.

I totally agree with you on all points.

The performance of my 2004.5 Kia Spectra (Hyundai's sister corp) totally backs up your last statement. My car is now at nearly 40k miles, and the car's performance and quality has been nearly flawless.

I'd be curious to know a few extra details about Tom's wife's Hyundai. Like model name and year. If it's a 2002 and later, then that would be a more accurate indictment about Hyundai than problems with models earlier than that. God knows that there are ALOT of owners of 1990's first generation Sportages and Sephias that routine vent their spleen about how Kia's are still "junk". That was before Kia was made part of Hyundai. If anything, Hyundai's processes and designs saved Kia.

If we were to follow Tom's logic, then we woud HAVE to agree and follow the advice of people who have been burned by the numerous Ford vehicles that have been THEIR nightmares, inciting them to create blogs and complete websites dedicated to the distruction of FoMoCo. Who's right? Are BOTH companies cars "TOTAL JUNK!!!" because a small subset of owners have had bad experiences? Should BOTH product lines be avoided?

Since Tom is making that judgement on a sample size of 1, then it would be equally accurate and advisable to avoid purchasing Ford products based on what I've read online.

BUT..... that ISN'T an accurate deduction, and it's NOT what I would advise.

Weigh each product on it's own merits and perceived features and quality before buying. THAT'S the intelligent response.

Oh.... and being able to wait and NOT be one of the "guineau pigs" when a new car comes out is also a good idea. Let THOSE people log onto Edmunds.com (in the forum for the model you're interested in) and give you the 411 for a year or so. THAT kind of info may be what helps you avoid a TRUE design-based lemon.

-Ovaltine

My opinion is based on having to take her Tiburon REPEATEDLY to the dealership to have problems fixed. My opinion is based getting a call in the middle of day from my wife because that piece of shit left her stranded AGAIN. I never once stated others should have the same opinion. I was dismissing them based on MY personal experiences. If someone else wants to give them a chance, more power to them. Hyundai will never and I mean NEVER get any more of my money again. I don't underestimate them. I just don't give a fuck about them PERSONALLY. Is that clear enough for you?

I like you Blackhorse but don't ever fucking tell me MY opinion about Hyundai is wrong.

Good post BH.

I totally agree with you on all points.

The performance of my 2004.5 Kia Spectra (Hyundai's sister corp) totally backs up your last statement. My car is now at nearly 40k miles, and the car's performance and quality has been nearly flawless.

I'd be curious to know a few extra details about Tom's wife's Hyundai. Like model name and year. If it's a 2002 and later, then that would be a more accurate indictment about Hyundai than problems with models earlier than that. God knows that there are ALOT of owners of 1990's first generation Sportages and Sephias that routine vent their spleen about how Kia's are still "junk". That was before Kia was made part of Hyundai. If anything, Hyundai's processes and designs saved Kia.

If we were to follow Tom's logic, then we woud HAVE to agree and follow the advice of people who have been burned by the numerous Ford vehicles that have been THEIR nightmares, inciting them to create blogs and complete websites dedicated to the distruction of FoMoCo. Who's right? Are BOTH companies cars "TOTAL JUNK!!!" because a small subset of owners have had bad experiences? Should BOTH product lines be avoided?

Since Tom is making that judgement on a sample size of 1, then it would be equally accurate and advisable to avoid purchasing Ford products based on what I've read online.

BUT..... that ISN'T an accurate deduction, and it's NOT what I would advise.

Weigh each product on it's own merits and perceived features and quality before buying. THAT'S the intelligent response.

Oh.... and being able to wait and NOT be one of the "guineau pigs" when a new car comes out is also a good idea. Let THOSE people log onto Edmunds.com (in the forum for the model you're interested in) and give you the 411 for a year or so. THAT kind of info may be what helps you avoid a TRUE design-based lemon.

-Ovaltine

I really don't care if you like them Ovaltine. Really, I don't. But don't sit there and reason out how my opinion wrong because you don't have a single, fucking clue what it's based on.

And just to clarify, if I had that bad of an experience with a Ford product, I would be saying the same things about them.

Edited by TomServo92

I really don't care if you like them Ovaltine. Really, I don't. But don't sit there and reason out how my opinion wrong because you don't have a single, fucking clue what it's based on.

I didn't say your *personal* opinion is wrong. Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody's got one.

What I think is a logical fallacy though is your claim that all [fill in the blank] brand of cars are junk if *your* wife buys one and has an abnormal number of problems with it. That's all. And all the "F-bombs" you care to let fly in your response will NOT refute the above statement. Sorry.

Could I suggest "Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction" available at Amazon.com at: http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasoning-I...9558&sr=8-5

for some further reading?

And just to clarify, if I had that bad of an experience with a Ford product, I would be saying the same things about them.

Fair enough, on the above statement. Consistency and fairness are traits that I value in a person. :-)

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I didn't say your *personal* opinion is wrong. Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody's got one.

What I think is a logical fallacy though is your claim that all [fill in the blank] brand of cars are junk if *your* wife buys one and has an abnormal number of problems withit. That's all.

I never claimed it a was scientific study with facts and figures regarding problems per thousand vehicles, etc. From the very beginning I only gave my personal opinion based on a very, very bad experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough, on the above statement. Consistency and fairness are traits that I value in a person. :-)

-Ovaltine

I value that as well so I appreciate and return the complement.

And all the "F-bombs" you care to let fly in your response will NOT refute the above statement. Sorry. May I suggest "Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction" available at Amazon.com at: http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasoning-I...9558&sr=8-5

If you'd had the same experience I had, you might be letting some f-bombs fly as well.

Sorry, thanks for recommendation but I don't need it. Perhaps I can recommend one for you:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...00894&itm=2.

The next time you read a personal opinion you'll be able recognize it for what is. :shades:

BTW, I don't buy from Amazon either (another bad experience). :hysterical:

Edited by TomServo92

Ignorance? You don't have a fucking clue what I know about Hyundai's you jackass. I have very personal experience with Hyundai's.

Notice that Hyundais is plural in this statement (although incorrectly punctuated). This statement followed your first statement which was.

It's still a Hyundai...

You didn't give an opinion based solely on your personal experience Tom. You painted with a broad brush and declared any and all Hyundai cars as junk. It may have been based on your experience with one bad car, but you applied it to the entire brand and probably a car that was bought before Hyundai implemented a lot of their quality improvements. Was it the first year Tiburon?

Therefore I'm sorry to tell you my friend, but your opinon about Hyundai is in fact "wrong".

See how easy that was, no colorful language, no school yard chest thumping antics. Now you try.

Edited by BlackHorse

An opinion is an opinion. It is based on feelings and experience, therefore it can never be wrong. It can be misguided, but not wrong.

Really? Let's say then that I hold the opinion that "The Simpsons" television show is solely responsible for the moral decay of our youth and because of that I think that it should be removed from the air and banned from all manner of private sales.

Lets not get into semantics here, misguided is just a pleasent way of saying wrong.

So you're telling me that there isn't a product that you've owned that due to it's performance, you won't buy again? Anyone else? :redcard:

Notice that Hyundais is plural in this statement (although incorrectly punctuated). This statement followed your first statement which was.

You gidn't give an opinion based solely on your personal experience Tom. You painted with a broad brush and declared any and all Hyundai cars as junk. It may have been based on your experience with one bad car, but you applied it to the entire brand and probably a car that was bought before Hyundai implemented a lot of their quality improvements. Was it the first year Tiburon?

Therefore I'm sorry to tell you my friend, but your opinon about Hyundai is in fact "wrong".

See how easy that was, no colorful language, no school yard chest thumping antics. Now you try.

While that first statement may seem broad, it's based on a real-world experience (which I detailed in later posts). Perhaps I did use the plural (spelling notwithstanding) but I also very clearly stated this opinion was based on my wife's car (not plural). There are people on this board with similar opinions about other brands that they've never even owned. At least I have some rationale for how I feel. Even though Hyundai may have improved their quality, we gave them a chance and they burned us. If there had been a smaller number of problems or they were less severe, I might still be open to giving them another try.

My opinion is in no way wrong nor is it right. It's merely MY opinion. You can take it or leave. I really don't care.

As for the colorful language, I apologize to anyone that was offended. In my defence, I will say that discussing Hyundais (yes, I know it's plural), brings out very strong emotions in me. If we hadn't needed to get some kind of money back out of that car, I would have glady set fire to it instead of selling it just to have the satisfaction of watching it burn!

BTW, it was a third generation Tiburon (2003).

I never bought one, but I would never buy a KIA due to the experience my ex-wife had with a 2005 Optima. That thing had so many electrical problems, you would think it was hooked up to the Iraqi power grid. It was finally bought back after a lawyer got involved.

We had electrical and mechanical problems. As I stated, it left my wife stranded numerous times (that above all is the primary reason I have such a strong negative opinion). I was just so sick of dealing with it, I just wanted it gone. We opted to sell it instead of going the legal route.

Edited by TomServo92

Since we know the new Tiburon will share its RWD platform with the upcoming Genesis luxury sedan, we can also assume that the coupe will at least be offered with a V8 like its four-door brother. Further evidence to support this assumption is the fact that KGP spotted a Ford Mustang in the Hyundai prototype's caravan, no doubt along for the ride as a benchmark.

-Ovaltine

Quite an assumption. Didn't Hyundai themselves already debunk the V8 speculation on this car? What the heck does a Mustang being in the caravan have to do with the engine in the Tiburon? Did they even notice what model of Mustang it was? It could have been a V6 for all we know. Even if it was a GT, that far from proves that Hyundai is going to use one themselves. Oh, and good luck Hyundai if you're using a current Mustang for a benchmark. The refreshed Mustang will probably be on the roads about the same time this thing comes out.

Edited by NickF1011

For all we know the Mustang belongs to one of the guys on the prototype design team and he was just driving his personal car to the test site. There could be any one of a myriad of reasons why. Maybe they were comparing the two for handling characteristics, lateral g's and the like. Who knows. It's pure speculation at this point. Given the current conditions on the market, by that I mean a V8 powered stang, a soon to be V8 powered Camaro, a V8 powered Challenger and the V8 Charger, I could see that they might want to put a V8 in this car. However, I could also see that given most import car companies are hesitant to put V8 motors in their vehicles they won't be inclined to put one in this one. Look Toyota wouldn't even put a V8 in the T100 until they realized what a failure it was. The 3000GT (which hauled ass), Nissan 350, Nissan 300Z, RX8, Supra, S2000? None of these were V8. So there is precedent for import cars not to use a V8 to achieve performance. So like I said, it's all speculation at this point.

Too bad that it's still a Hyundai.

I guess it's a good thing I don't run FoMoCo, that means I'm free to express that rather accurate and valid opinion. :)

Yeah that's true. It's also too bad the 99 Mustang GT was possibly the biggest shit box ever to roll off a production line, particularly if you opted for the white one. lol How does it feel driving around on that 1970's chassis? lol

Edited by BlackHorse

A premium tune on their corporate 3.8L would net around 285 HP and similar torque. That would produce a rather nice vehicle in and of itself. Comparing this to the 350Z, it won't be that far off.

Now, given their assumption that this is platform shared with the upcoming top end RWD sedan that Hyundai is supposed to start pushing, its not that big of a logical leap to assume that the v8 that is speculated for that vehicle could wind up here.

I'd be VERY interested in learning if this has an IRS and a V8. If it has both, and comes in at under $29K, then there really could be a new player on the block for the pony car market.

Really? Let's say then that I hold the opinion that "The Simpsons" television show is solely responsible for the moral decay of our youth and because of that I think that it should be removed from the air and banned from all manner of private sales.

Lets not get into semantics here, misguided is just a pleasent way of saying wrong.

simpsons-1.gif

I also owned a Hyundai That the syncro's went bad in.

Just like a semi you had to match up your RPM's with your road speed just to shift. I was the only one who could drive it! On the way to Cleveland my right rear brake caught on fire, because the wheel cylinder stuck! Once I got in home I changed all four and the next week the same one went out again! Then My hatch locking mechanism seized up. At this point I really didn't give a sh-t about it I drilled a whole it the roof and installed a 4' C.B. whip antenna. After that it looked like a little remote controlled car!Hyundai.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto

Yeah that's true. It's also too bad the 99 Mustang GT was possibly the biggest shit box ever to roll off a production line, particularly if you opted for the white one. lol How does it feel driving around on that 1970's chassis? lol

Wow. Who pissed in your Cheerios? Historically, the 99-04 Mustangs are amongst the most reliable vehicles on the road. I guess all that "old tech" pays off in some ways.

And FYI, my '97 Cobra on its "1970's chassis" is still a complete blast to drive and has had almost zero problems in over 100,000 miles.

Jesus Freakin' Christ... mention the word "ignorance" in this forum in any context and you may as well have raped Mother Teresa... wtf.

Blackhorse makes an excellent point. Suck it up, Tom. If you go to the grocery store and buy a rotten tomato, I suppose it means no tomatos are to ever be trusted again. They're all rotten.

There are bad Hyundais.

There are bad Fords.

There are bad Hondas.

There are bad tomatos.

Fords Mustang is king of the sports car market, not much else gets a look in, Wish we could say the same for Fords rival to the Toyota Camry. With one of the lowest depreciating cars you can buy, buying a new Mustang again must be ooh so easy to buy second time around new.

Mustangs hold its value like no other Ford can.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?se...mp;aff=national