Jaguar XJ

Nice sketch, but the wheels look like 30"....is it done to scale?

no it isn't, the wheels do look a little big now that I look at it. I don't (99% of the time) use any tools to draw my sketches also, not even circle makers, they're all free hand.

That side profile is, indeed, gorgeous.

Not sure about the rounded front and back, but I'm sure it would look meaner or more muscular with squarer features.

(I'm biased toward squarer, staunchier looking cars).

Maybe squarer features could make it look better. I was just trying to give this Jag a sporty, aggressive look, therefore, the curviness.

Jags should never be square. XKEs, SS100s, XJs...they were all rounded, curved and athletic. They did try to square off the early 80's Jag, not one of my favorites. Even Volvo has gotten away from it's typical squared off "boxiness".

BTW don't think it somehow is "cheating" by using tools to draw. Freehand is fine for a sketch or an illustration, but if you're doing a technical drawing (and what's more technical than an automobile?) using a scale, templates, French curve add to the reality.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...