Lincoln Cosmopolitan

rmc523

• 2 weeks later...
Heres my idea for a new Cosmopolitan, a range topping large Lincoln sedan with all the ammeneties that luxury sedan owners have come to expect.

Lose the dubs and raise the roof. Anyone driving that car would look like a 5 year old sitting on a stack of phone books, they'd barely be able to see over the door sill. The 4" tall letters on the side wouldn't go over well either. All that bling is for Cadillac drivers, Lincoln has always had the understated look. The car for a person who didn't need to shout "LOOK AT ME! I'VE GOT LOTS OF MONEY!!!".

At this point though, I'd take anything that worked. I'm not comfortable with the "near-luxury" placement of the modern Lincoln. It should go head-to-head with Cadillac, Lexus and the Mercedes S Class. I wouldn't miss Mercury, but I'd hate to see Lincoln dropped in favor of a Volvo or Jaguar standard-bearer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an update to my Cosmopolitan idea, along with the original. Sorry about the size difference, I'll try to even them out tomorrow.

The old one is on the left and the new one is on the right.

Thoughts?

post-28332-1202621344_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1202621389_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Still too much 300 in there for my liking. I hate the low-roof/tiny windows look and any wheel over 18" in diameter just looks silly to me. I do like the front end treatment, though.

OK, I don't care for the wheels that much either. Same for the roof, too low. Too turret-like and does not seem practical. I am assuming that you would expect this to be a working drawing of a car that is to be produced. Not just a styling exercise. I wonder if you threw in a little of the early 60's Continental to the sides if that would smarten it up some, and give the lower portion something to offset the cab with, so that the cab could be taller? I talking silhoutte, not so much being slab sided. The Continental had an absolute ridge running from the turn signals to the taillights, with chrome on top of that. Maybe if there were a hint of a ridge to what you have already. Not pronounced, but subtle? I'm thinking that an Acura that I saw had something like that on the last RL?

Edited by jonas1022

OK, I don't care for the wheels that much either. Same for the roof, too low. Too turret-like and does not seem practical. I am assuming that you would expect this to be a working drawing of a car that is to be produced. Not just a styling exercise. I wonder if you threw in a little of the early 60's Continental to the sides if that would smarten it up some, and give the lower portion something to offset the cab with, so that the cab could be taller? I talking silhoutte, not so much being slab sided. The Continental had an absolute ridge running from the turn signals to the taillights, with chrome on top of that. Maybe if there were a hint of a ridge to what you have already. Not pronounced, but subtle? I'm thinking that an Acura that I saw had something like that on the last RL?

Is it the wheel design you don't like or the size, or both? The roof is better than it was. I did raise it quite a bit. I think part of what's throwing off how much I changed it is 1) I think the images posted are different sizes than they would be in real life (if that makes sense) and 2) I also raised the trunk height, which makes the roof look lower (not as high, at least) as well.

I guess you're talking a bit more pronounced, but if you look closely, there's a character line that begins over the front fender and continues over the fender vent along the side of the car under the beltine....it then has a slight uptick and eventually blends into the tailllight/trunk area. I guess that's not what you had in mind? Maybe a little more pronounced as I said?

I personally think it's a great fresh idea for Lincoln. As I look over the drawing I cannot find something that I do not like. I'm not trying to be overly generous but this is great...

There's nothing that could prevent it from beating Cadillac. The roof/belt line is perfect and the design flows seamlessly. I love it and if Lincoln was smart then they would build this ASAP but just one question, where would this be situated in the lineup?

I personally think it's a great fresh idea for Lincoln. As I look over the drawing I cannot find something that I do not like. I'm not trying to be overly generous but this is great...

There's nothing that could prevent it from beating Cadillac. The roof/belt line is perfect and the design flows seamlessly. I love it and if Lincoln was smart then they would build this ASAP but just one question, where would this be situated in the lineup?

Thanks, and welcome to BOF.

It'd be right on top of the lineup (think of what Town Car used to be). It'd compete with BMW 7-series, MB S-class, Lexus LS, Audi A8, and the likes. Yes, a Lincoln competing with them

Edited by rmc523

As drawn, it would be very difficult to fit a powertrain under that hood, unless it's a 4-cylinder. The windshield extends to the back of the front wheel opening, so the cabin intrudes, and the lack of front overhang means that collision performance would be challenged, but more important, there's just no place for all that powertrain stuff to live in. You would find putting a turbo V-6 a very difficult thing to do . . . the differential has to have a straight path to the front wheel centers, so the engine has to be ahead of the wheel centers, or behind it. As drawn it could be a RWD car, with lousy weight distribution: cab forward, with the engine sitting right in the middle of the wheels.

That's why, as I posted a while back, we draw to scale, as it helps avoid these problems.

As drawn, it would be very difficult to fit a powertrain under that hood, unless it's a 4-cylinder. The windshield extends to the back of the front wheel opening, so the cabin intrudes, and the lack of front overhang means that collision performance would be challenged, but more important, there's just no place for all that powertrain stuff to live in. You would find putting a turbo V-6 a very difficult thing to do . . . the differential has to have a straight path to the front wheel centers, so the engine has to be ahead of the wheel centers, or behind it. As drawn it could be a RWD car, with lousy weight distribution: cab forward, with the engine sitting right in the middle of the wheels.

That's why, as I posted a while back, we draw to scale, as it helps avoid these problems.

Maybe extent the trunk and make it a rear engine!

Edited by Furious1Auto