Ford Selling Parts Business

ANTAUS

It will be closed. We were in the middle of installing some new catalytic converter lines, and the plant manager called the company that was producing the machines (Melton) and told them not to deliver them, and the work came to a screeching halt.

Rumor has the converter contracts being divided between Arvin and Tenneco, with them being done next August. Sway Bars will be done next March (can't remember the name of the company that won the contracts). Half shaft will be done next summer shutdown. No word yet on Neapco taking over drive shaft. Last I heard, the negotiations were not going so well.

You can thank all the assholes driving foreign vehicles for this, and for the eroding tax base in the Monroe area, not to mention all of Michigan. When they complain about their taxes going up after the plant closes, ask them what kind of car is in their driveway. ;)

Thanks for the info! My dad worked there for 36 years and I had a brief stint there also as a TPT. I'm afraid that if that plant shuts down, there won't be much left of my hometown as that plant supports, indirectly, all of the other business around.

I don't completely agree though about calling the import buyers a##holes. Part of that problem lies with the poor product that Ford offered for a while. People remember the bad things that happen (dealer, quality, refinement). Perception led them to believe that imports were better which in most cases they were (80's-90's). I don't think that is the case now, as I think Ford products are pretty darn good on quality and content. It will take a while for some of those people to realize this. The problem is, there may not be enough time.

I wonder why Ford is selling so many subsidiaries at present? Part of me thinks they are expecting a tough road ahead, thanks to economic uncertainty and their current product lines. But the other part of me says Ford want to slim down to basically being Ford with very few other businesses attached..

I wonder why Ford is selling so many subsidiaries at present? Part of me thinks they are expecting a tough road ahead, thanks to economic uncertainty and their current product lines. But the other part of me says Ford want to slim down to basically being Ford with very few other businesses attached..

Ford needs the money, simple as that.

Part of me thinks

That part of you needs to read up on the Visteon spin-off.

Unlike GM, which basically let Delphi sink into Chapter 11 proceedings, Ford has done several things for Visteon:

1) They kept several thousand union employees on their payroll after spinning off Visteon

2) They invested in and recapitalized Visteon twice

3) They bought back several of the union Visteon plants, and formed a shell corporation called ACH.

That corporation, ACH, is in the process of selling off these union plants and this transfer is nothing more than another instance of this.

If you actually read up on these matters before posting here you might come across less uninformed than you typically do.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=21687

http://www.visteon.com/europe/uk/newsroom/...05/050525.shtml

http://www.visteon.com/europe/uk/newsroom/...10_story1.shtml

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/2000/0...de0004254n.html