Probably Never Heard Of Honda

mlhm5

I think it should be fairly obvious by now that our transportation and environmental policy is broken at worst, and unsustainable at best. Our goal should be to significantly reduce our oil consumption, while at the same time reducing emissions of all kinds.

First thing that needs to be changed is how we pay for it. We need a comprehensive, high-intensity audit of who does the most damage to roads, consumes the most fuel, and pollutes the air the most, and institute offsets for all three. Every year, all of our roads will undergo a comprehensive audit, and we will quantify exactly how much money it will take to keep them in tip-top shape, as well as redesign them to minimize gridlock. People will be taxed a minimum annual flat fee, as well as a variable gas tax AND seperate diesel tax to hit truckers, which will go DIRECTLY to pay for all these road improvements. The tax will rise and fall depending on road conditions, and how much will be needed to repair/upgrade them.

Then, we will rebuild our nation's railroads. Step one will be nationalizing all the tracks, under the same group that supervises roads, which will upgrade all essential long-haul routes to nuclear-powered electric high-speed rail for both freight and passengers. In return for this huge windfall, railroads will be required to operate passenger and commuter trains, AND provide intermodel facilities for both passengers and freight at all medium to large railroad stations. This means both local delivery services for freight, and low-cost electric rental cars for passengers to get to work from the station. Cities will also be given funds to build and operate light rail and subways, as well as a subsidized electric taxi service.

This should all be implemented over a 5 year period, and I'll guarantee while somewhat painful, in the end, we will have a MUCH fairer, efficient, and lower polluting national transporation system.

• 2 weeks later...

He goes on and on about how diesel is not a good solution . . . . and then he boasts about all of the new diesel product they are developing. Am I the only one that sees this as odd?

I don't have a good understanding of pending diesel emission regulations. But I have traveled abroad and seen first hand that diesels don't have to stink, they don't have to spew black smoke, they don't have to be noisy, they can make great power and deliver fuel economy superior to hybrids.

Sometimes I wonder how much of a role politics plays in determining what we drive. If everyone got 40-50 mpg, the gov would lose big $$$ on gas taxes.

The gov gets behind E-85. This is a fuel that contains much less energy per gallon than gasoline, so people will need to buy more gallons. (More tax revenue.) The oil companies really control the distribution network for automobile fuel. They will see to it that ANY bio-fuel fails until they can secure their long term $$$$ return.

I think it should be fairly obvious by now that our transportation and environmental policy is broken at worst, and unsustainable at best. Our goal should be to significantly reduce our oil consumption, while at the same time reducing emissions of all kinds.

First thing that needs to be changed is how we pay for it. We need a comprehensive, high-intensity audit of who does the most damage to roads, consumes the most fuel, and pollutes the air the most, and institute offsets for all three. Every year, all of our roads will undergo a comprehensive audit, and we will quantify exactly how much money it will take to keep them in tip-top shape, as well as redesign them to minimize gridlock. People will be taxed a minimum annual flat fee, as well as a variable gas tax AND seperate diesel tax to hit truckers, which will go DIRECTLY to pay for all these road improvements. The tax will rise and fall depending on road conditions, and how much will be needed to repair/upgrade them.

Then, we will rebuild our nation's railroads. Step one will be nationalizing all the tracks, under the same group that supervises roads, which will upgrade all essential long-haul routes to nuclear-powered electric high-speed rail for both freight and passengers. In return for this huge windfall, railroads will be required to operate passenger and commuter trains, AND provide intermodel facilities for both passengers and freight at all medium to large railroad stations. This means both local delivery services for freight, and low-cost electric rental cars for passengers to get to work from the station. Cities will also be given funds to build and operate light rail and subways, as well as a subsidized electric taxi service.

This should all be implemented over a 5 year period, and I'll guarantee while somewhat painful, in the end, we will have a MUCH fairer, efficient, and lower polluting national transporation system.

Good post. Even the executives of major airline companies are proposing better rail passenger service in United States between major cities. Major city airports are clogged with passengers going few hundred miles to another city. Airlines would love to have more space for more flights thousands of miles away which they have trouble doing now. Acela Train Service in NE corridor has helped some, but again the effort is modest and still NE corridor airports are clogged with short flights. This country's transportation system is flawed significantly.

I live in Metro Detroit, and have taken Amtrak to Chicago many times, but service is slow. A high speed train like Acela to Chicago dedicated to one track exclusive to Amtrak would mean getting to Chicago in three hours or so, faster than airline service where you spend so much time at airports and the inconvenience of tight security. I know security would pick up big time if rail, passenger service became real popular, but it's needed if we are serious about using less oil as nation and making transportation more convenient for its users. This kind of infrastructure takes years to implement, and we need to start now if we are to have it in 10 years or so.

But alas there doesn't seem to be any political will to do anything constructive anymore. Congress would rather pick on cars as biggest contributor to waste. They ignore trucks which burn more gas and pound the roads into submission. Freight, rail service is doing well, but there is so much more potential there. I have invested in Railroad stock because they are busy and will get busier, but this nation needs to invest into new trackage just like they do roads. We need to move far more tonnage on rails than we do now. The RR companies can invest in new engines and rolling stock, but they should not have to spend so much money on maintaining and building new tracks. All long haul freight service in this country should be done by train. Let the trucking industry do the short haul.

We need a three spoke transportation system in this country, not the two spoke system we have now. As America approaches 400 million people in next twenty years or so, we need well developed rail system just like Europe has now. We waste too much oil in this country. And we are getting too fat. I find it ironic as average female probably weighs 160+ and average male over 200+, our Congress wants to put us all into tiny cars. In fact, I see tons of Americans out there that weigh closer to 300 than 200 and some are very young. Bigger Americans and smaller cars don't match very well. We need to slim down as country and obtain better transportation system soon.